The LightHouse
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$129
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Ipanema Inn(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$109
  • Breakfast included
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
US$171
US$252
MGallery
US$200
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$105
  • Breakfast included
Arena Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$97
Official Hotel
US$275
US$213
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
US$370
US$362
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsipanema beachstay there againperfect locationrobertahostel
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The Lighthouse is a small and intimate hostel in a great area. The hostel staff are available, friendly and helpful. They even organised to post belongings I had left in Brazil back to Australia for me!! I cannot recommend the personalised approach which you are given here more highly! The staff give expert advice on any part of Rio which you want to experience: relax, party, sight see, walk, beach, shopping - anything, they can organise it! Start your Rio experience at The Lighthouse and you will not regret it!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

the room is nothing special but you have you bed and you meet nice people.
if have to recomend some hostel in ipanema would be this one or the near to (Harmonia).
Both in the same bord walk, quiet, near the beach and the main street.
The employes can t be better. explain everything and care about you. shows you the best places and always smiles.
Thanks

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2013

WE just had such a fabulous stay at The Lighthouse. We currently live in Buenos AIres and wanted to take a vacation and ended up here. If you want to be close to the beach, an amazing lake, hang with awesome staff, and meet amazing travelers, then look no further. What I liked most about the hostel was that it was a fairly older crowd (25-40), and a smaller hostel of a total of 10 people, a really cozy setting. Breakfast was great, accompanied by hot coffee...need I say more.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The hostel is in Ipanema, a quick walk from the beach, which is really nice, and not too far from the next metro station.
Unfortunately the room we stayed in was really tiny, just beds, no space for anything else, and the hostel had in total only 2 bathrooms with each one shower and one toilet inside of them, which is in my opinion too few for about 10 people staying there and getting up at a similar time to get breakfast. Also, because the space is so limited, you have no privacy to even change your clothes...
But the staff working there was really nice, and in a city like Rio you shouldn't spend that much time in the hostel anyway. And it had airconditioning! The only hostel on my trip through Brazil!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here the week before Carnival in Rio, in the 8 bedroom dormer. I have to say, I am really happy with our stay at the Lighthouse. The staff was truly a delight and each of them were so helpful to us, especially the owner, Sylvia. She really cares about the experience of her guests; it is more than just a business to her. When it comes to service, I don't think there is a better quality to have than that.

The size of the space is perfect for the amount of people (up to 12 at a time) and allows you to feel really comfortable. There was always space to cook in the kitchen (plus plenty of cookware and they even provide basic supplies like oil, vinegar, salt and pepper), it was never too loud at night, and I don't think I ever waited more than five minutes for the bathroom. Breakfast was good (bread, ham, cheese, lots of fruit, tea and coffee), they have a huge selection of travel books you can borrow, and there are lots of activities you can opt to participate in (but they do NOT push them on you, at all).

I wouldn't call it a "party hostel," if that is what you are looking for, but it is really east to get to know everyone else staying there. The only thing I can think of that was a slight negative is that the bathrooms can get messy throughout the day, but I feel like this is pretty standard for anywhere where the cleaning person comes in the morning. It was never gross though, just wet floors from people taking showers.

Overall, a really great stay that made my experience in Rio an enjoyable one. Thanks so much, Lighthouse!! :)

• Stayed: February 2013