First time staying in a hostel, and it was a great experience. Lighthouse is located off of a small side "street/ally" behind a newspaper stand (it blocks the view of the gate entrance if you're in a cab), all the way at the end on the left. Many hostels are located in that little hostel alleyway. From when I first booked, Karina sent me an email welcoming me and she maintained her hospitality throughout (so friendly with her "Hi Honey!" and "What do you need honey?"). It's a small hostel (8 beds and 1 private double) so you get to know people who are staying with you pretty quickly. Everyone was pretty friendly, and the staff really was very informative, always there the answer questions and give their insight. They provide some good tours through a third party provider (I highly recommend the city tour that goes to the Christ statue, Sugar loaf, Cathedral, Stairway, etc). The staff is very down to earth and it seems like they genuinely want you to fully enjoy your stay while you are there and will help you in any way they can. Overall a really good vibe here.
Location is solid, 3 blocks away from the beach, and lots of restaurants and bars near by. Close to transportation as well. Public bus system can seem to be overwhelming, but you get used to it after you try it once. Otherwise just take a taxi, they are everywhere.
The room is a bit small and beds squeak when you move around (especially on the top bunks), but you're only paying about $30USD in Rio and getting so much more, so why complain? Room can get a bit humid with all the towels hanging there, but you have an AC and a fan if you need it. Plenty of lockers for valuables (bring your own padlock). Couches downstairs have thin cushioning, but it's not really an issue. Bathrooms have hot water, I suggest use the one downstairs, it's roomier. They are cleaned pretty often. Breakfast is provided in the morning, just basic fruit with bread/ham/cheese and a George Foreman grilling machine so you can grill your breakfast sandwich if you want. Coffee and purified/spring water is available at all times. Beer/soda/etc from the fridge is $3, honor system on the payment (you mark your name on the fridge). Wifi is however charged, but it's only 5 real total for the duration of your stay (on multiple devices if you have a laptop and a phone for example) so not too much of an excess charge at all.
Overall I would definitely recommend to friends who are looking for a place to stay. It's a very homely feel with a very welcoming staff, and the people who roll through there seem to be pretty decent and friendly. Decent facilities, and solid location at a fair price. Couldn't ask for much more...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A cute, small and quiet place located within Ipanema, one of the most beautiful and well-known areas of Rio de Janeiro. Only 3 blocks from the beach surrounded by a wealth of restaurants, shops and of course bars and clubs. We have a gorgeous double room and 8 bed mixed dormitory. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and HostelWorld so you can book your The LightHouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lighthouse Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- The LightHouse Rio De Janeiro, Brazil