“Great place in Rio” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of CabanaCopa Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
CabanaCopa Hostel
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“Great place in Rio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here over New Years, Rio was packed but Cabana Copa made sure everyone in the hostel had a good time. They organised a great party before midnight on the 31st.
The hostel is very clean - the bathrooms are cleaned twice a day. The beds are comfortable and there are large lockers to store your bags (just bring a lock with you). Good breakfast, excellent location, great people.
No faults here!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason P
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review! We are glad to hear you liked the party we organized and that you like the cleanliness, breakfast and location. We hope you will come back!

Safe travels and best regards, CabanaCopa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

This hostel is one of the better cheap hostels in Rio. Breakfast might not be the best around and the kitchen (open for guests) isn't clean, but neither are other hostel kitchens and there are some BAD hostels in Rio! This one is spacious, has a nice lounge area with huge tv, clean bathrooms and all that very close to Copa beach. I'd definetly recommend thid hostel!

Our breakfast is a buffet and it has juices (not fresh but it is a backpacker's hostel, not the Hilton!), coffee, tea, milk, cereal, honey, bread, butter, jam, cheese, ham, salami, fresh fruits, eggs, sausage, cake, toast etc. We are improving our old kitchen and building a new one just for the guests, regarding cleanliness we will take this up with the cleaning staff. We are glad to hear you would recommend us!

Best regards, CabanaCopa staff
Utila, Honduras
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

Very clean and top location, right next to Copacabana beach. Breakfast was decent as well. The girls that worked the bar were sound but the lads that were on reception were annoying. You'd ask them questions and they'd give one word answers and seemed totally disinterested.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are happy to hear you like our prime location and breakfast. We are sorry about the male staff seeming disinterested, we will take this up with them! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Hope to see you again!

Best regards and safe travels, CabanaCopa staff
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

The hostel looks nice and the room we stayed in (10 bed dorm) was spacious. We had an ensuite bathroom which was quite nice, but was almost all the time occupied as there were 10 people in the room. And unfortunately there were very few other bathrooms (only one in our floor) which again were almost always occupied. There was a larger shared one on the upper floor but this one was crowded and dirty They really need more individual bathrooms.
They DO NOT have power outlets in the 10 bed dorm! Just 2 of them in the whole room next to two of the beds, so unless you stay in those beds no power for you. Also no individual lights or anything like that in our room (though they promised this in the hostel description).
The breakfast is not too great, and after 10 difficult to find anything.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ioana C
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this review, 16 June 2016
Thank you for staying with us and for writing a review. As we have added another building to the hostel and done a lot of renovations we no longer have issues with busy bathrooms and lack of space. We also have enough power outlets now.

We hope you will return to see the improvements!

Cheers, CabanaCopa hostel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a 6 bed form which was tiny! The dorms with more beds looked significantly more roomy!

Big black board when you entered the hostel with recommendation for evening activities and hostel staff really helpful. Went on an awesome trip to watch a football match organised by the hostel. Close to Copa Cobaba beach :) pretty good value for a few days...

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Hannah-Beth C
Thank you for leaving a review! We are glad to hear you found the staff helpful and that you got to enjoy some of the activities we offer. Hope you will return!

Best regards, CabanaCopa staff
Doha, Qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

First of all, I made a wrong booking date. I made it for July instead of August for one night. Before I arrived at the hostel, I had sent a confirmation email of my travel dates but there was NO REPLY from them whatsoever. Also, I had to book another night because I have just realized I would have to stay an extra night in RIO.

Anyway, when I arrived at around 8pm, I was given a key to the room but was not told anything about the wrong booking or how many nights I was going to stay, so I thought the booking was ok for 2 nights.

The next morning I went out sightseeing. I didn't think I had to tell the hostel that I was staying another night because I had booked for 2 nights. When I came back I wanted to pay for the first night, but I was stopped. I was told that I had made the wrong booking for July and so it was a NO SHOW. An explanation was given. It was my fault, OK I accepted that so I paid one night for free. A hotel that wanted to attract people by having good comments on websites would have used that money for my stay instead of quoting hotel policy.

I was also told that I did not tell them whether I was going to stay another night or not so they had to charge me half of the full night as a late check-out. I explained that it was a misunderstanding, but I was told in an unfriendly manner that I "must" pay. So I had no choice but to pay. I felt like leaving and go find another hostel but it was too late for that so I stayed reluctantly.

I know it is a business but as they should learn to compromise and to practise some EQ service. It would help them a lot, really. I've worked in the hotel industry, and without that the business would go nowhere. They did not need to go for Win-Lose by doing what they did. Gouging money out of a guest does not win you friends, and in the Internet age loses you business far more than the money you win by gouging.

The only good thing about this hostel is the location, although it could be hard to find as it was up the hill. It was near bus stops, which take you to the Christ Statue and it was walking distance to Copacabana beach. A variety of breakfast for the price you are paying.

I was not happy with this experience. Of course I had the money to pay but its not always about that. Its about how I was treated. If any of my friends come to Rio, I will not recommend this place. It has created too many bad feelings and memories. I hope they enjoy the extra money they got.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jasmine_McAlpine
Ian P, Diretor de vendas at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Hello & Thanks for staying with us.

We are sorry to read your feedback, but all our staff did was follow your booking rules.
Your wrong booking & no show was unfortunate as we had guests who wanted to extend that day but couldn't because we saved the bed for you.

To avoid future situations like this, our reception manager now has one staff fully dedicated to reservations, and she is allowed to open exceptions.
You are welcome to visit us if you come back to Rio, and see the improvements in the property & management.

Safe travels & best regards from sunny Copacabana beach!