We stayed as a couple at this hostel December 2013 for 1 week. The only reason we stayed was because we paid the whole cost on our first day. We stayed in an 8 bed mixed dorm - very cramped with one ceiling fan and one toilet ( which did not flush ) and one shower. The general condition of the bathrooms was poor - crumbling walls & mouldy and dark. We moved to a ' twin room' which was not really a twin but a bunk bed in a very small room. The rooms were disappointing however the breakfast was also very repetitive - bread & cheese . If you did not go early there was often no food left.
We found the reception staff generally unhelpful- they were reluctant to assist with queries in the morning until they had eaten their breakfast (!) and did not seem to have a knowledge of the area. We had asked how much it would be to get a bus or taxi to Christo Redenter ( probably the most famous landmark in Rio ) and they were not able to give us an estimate !! They were generally unapproachable and unfriendly. Although there is a board with activities the staff do not promote these / don't have information about them . It was quite difficult to find out what is going on / things to see and do.
There is only WIFI downstairs in the reception area with very limited seating for guests which is also annoying !
The kitchen is really dirty with inadequate cups, cutlery and plates for the number of guests. We took one look at the kitchen and avoided cooking there !
The only good point - the hostel is quite close to Copacabana beach .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just three blocks from the famous Copacabana beach, next to the metro and a beautiful national park, CabanaCopa is a new quality backpackers hostel in a street w/ 24hrs security with a warm & welcoming atmosphere of our friendly & helpful staff.A large colonial house fully renovated with clean spacious dorms and bathrooms, excellent social areas (indoor and outdoor) that include our CabanaBar w/ Live sports & music, a Games room w/ Pool table, cards etc., a Cinema room w/ 52” LCD HD Cable TV & DVD, a Computers lounge w/ Free 20Mbs Internet & Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your CabanaCopa Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cabanacopa Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- CabanaCopa Hostel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil