“Amazing Atmosphere!”
Review of CabanaCopa Hostel

CabanaCopa Hostel
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed at CabanaCopa so many times and I had the best time of my life there. The hostel has really good common areas and at night at the bar is always fun. Everyone together like a big family. I met great friends at CabanaCopa and I definitely recommend it if you are looking for a nice atmosphere. The staff are super international, very friendly and helpful. The bathrooms and rooms are spacious and clean. The location is perfect; 5 minutes walk from Copacabana beach and everything you need is nearby (supermarket, bar, clubs). Wifi works well and the breakfast is very good. Better than any other hostel I have ever stayed. I have nothing to complain and I will definitely come back many other times.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Ian P, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review. We are glad to hear you keep returning to our hostel and that you have had the best time of your life here! We are also happy to hear you like our staff, common areas, location and rooms. We hope to see you back again soon! Best regards, CabanaCopa staff

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed it for carnival and a week after! More pros than cons:

Cons: some of the rooms don't have enough lockers for each people (there were locks but on empty lockers) and the staff were not that useful to solve this issue - you have to really make an effort to get them to help you!
The WiFi isn't great, turns off at random times!
Bar closes at 10.30

Pros: it organises lots of good tours and buses to wherever you want to go!
Breakfast is good!
Nice social area and when I was there everyone was very friendly - organised nights out as well, if you want to drink after 10.30!
When you become friends with the staff they are very good!
Spacious rooms and clean!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Katie T
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review. That was only an issue in one room and it has been fixed now. During carnival everything gets a little crazy and the staff is extra stressed, sorry if they weren't helpful enough. The internet works fine but during 9-10 pm we shut it down so people will interact more. The public computers still work though.  Unfortunately our cosy location tucked in next to a national park in the heart of Copacabana, 2 min from the metro & beach in a silence area also means we have to close down the bar/lounge area at 11pm. We do have activities every night for our party guests go to after we close. Our living room, TV room & computer lounge stay open 24hrs. We are glad to hear you like the tours we organize, found our staff friendly and liked our rooms. We hope you will return! Best regards, CabanaCopa

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were booked in for 2 nights but ended up staying an extra 2! loved the atmosphere and its location, nice and friendly vibe. great breakfast is a plus! I would definateley stay there again next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank agnaldob

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review. We are glad to hear you like our location, atmosphere and breakfast. We hope you will return! Best regads, CabanaCopa staff

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I liked the hostel, I met some really cool people here and the building is nice with good common areas, if a little small sometimes when there's lots of people, nothing terrible just a bit hard to squeeze past all the chairs! Really nice rooms, fairly spacious, nice big lockers and kept clean.
The only things I had a problem with were that there were a lot of rules and it was a shame the bar had to close so early at 10 30, but I understand this wasn't the hostels fault. Also the bathrooms got quite dirty sometimes.
Overall a nice hostel in a good location close to the metro and a short walk to the beach with a reasonable price.
Some of the staff were really helpful and lovely, really big thanks to them. However I was pretty shocked when I arrived early in the morning (I came on a night bus and I even told the hostel this in an email) but when I got there I was told that if I wanted to check in any earlier than 2pm I had to pay R$20 which they made no mention of in the email. I would understand if the rooms were full and needed to be cleaned but 2 of the girls I moved into the room with told me they didn't understand because at least 2 of the beds had been empty the night before. It wasn't a huge deal but having worked in a hostel before i think it's quite odd to have to pay to check in early, normally if the bed is free earlier than 2 you can just have it. Having travelled overnight and not slept much it was just a by annoying.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank beany_wyatt
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

We are glad to hear you like our hostel and had a good time. We are sorry that you think we have too much rules, but we are a big hostel and need to keep it in order to protect hostel & guest. Unfortunately our cosy location tucked in next to a national park in the heart of Copacabana, 2 min from the metro & beach in a silence area also means we have to close down the bar/lounge area at 11pm. We do have activities every night for our party guests go to after we close. Our living room, TV room & computer lounge stay open 24hrs. We clean our bathrooms twice daily but we are going to add one more night cleaning staff to improve even more the facilities. We do allow earlier check ins without any charge, as long as it is before the cleaners have gone through the room, which in your case they had not. Coming early morning/late night is like having an extra night at the hostel, therefore we charge a fee in these cases.

Safe travels and best regards! CabanaCopa staff

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The best place to stay in Rio! Very friendly staff, good rooms and amazing atmosphere! The common areas are great! We stayed in a 4p dorm, which was good. Big lockers for your valuables and good kitchen facilities, where you can store and make your own food.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear you liked our staff, rooms and atmosphere (one of the things we are really happy to have as a big hostel :)). We hope you will come back!

Safe travels and best regards, CabanaCopa staff

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The location is perfect, it's located in a quiet area close to Copacabana (like 5-min walk), the staff is super nice and helpful, the rooms are clean and there is a pretty decent kitchen for cooking.

This is not a high class hotel, so don't expect everything to be in order at all times. We did have some trouble with the air-con and the breakfast is pretty simple, but its cheap, the staff speaks english, it's super close to the Metro-station so its easy to get around, and it has an amazing charm and atmosphere.

There are also round the clock security, lockers in all the rooms and no curfew.

I would highly recommend this place to backpackers and budget-travelers who are looking for a chill, welcoming place to stay and meet lots of cool people :)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CelineJeanett
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a reply. We are happy to hear you have such positive things to say about our hostel and that you enjoyed your stay here. We hope you will be coming back!

Best regards, CabanaCopa staff

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The place has so much faults i will specify them objectively. Honestly I think the only reason anyone goes there is probably because they are in the lonely planet book or something. It just horrible.

Location is in copacabana but the furthest away from the beach thats possible, on a HILL.

The place has much too much rules, they are rigid and don't try to help you.
They say they have breakfest untill 10 with this and that but then you show up at 9 and nothing is there. not even the minimal like toaste. This happend several days in a row.

They returned my laundry wet and stinky from their dryer, wouldn't return my money, OR put it for another round of drying and the owner came and threw my laundry on the floor, cursing and shouting with me being completely respectful and just demanding my moneys worth.

The staff is mostly young and inexperienced, the hostel is dirty, facilities and beds are ANCIENT.

All in all, very unwelcoming. I would recommend to read the other reviews and also reconsider a hostel in ipanema, which is a better neighberhood anyways.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lavi N
CabanaCopaHostel, Guest Relations Manager at CabanaCopa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Well our hostel made it to the lonely planet for a reason and we had plenty of guests coming before we were featured in the book. Our cosy location is tucked in next to a national park in the heart of Copacabana, 2 min from the metro & beach, this is a great location and being on a hill is to us a minor issue. Being a big popular hostel with a lot of guests we do have to emphasize on our rules to keep the place in order. We serve breakfast until 10, and keep refilling it until it ends. We sincerely doubt it wasn't refilled after 9 several days in a row. Regarding the laundry incident, what really happened was that you overfilled and almost broke the dryer, which of course made the owner angry. We are sorry you find the staff inexperienced. We do sometimes have new staff, which means they have less experience, but usually they are able to work that up in a short period of time. We are also sorry you didn't find the hostel clean, as this is a big priority for us.

We agree with you and also recommend other people to read our reviews, as they are mainly positive!

CabanaCopa staff