“Hotel Monte Castelo - Helpful and handy but breath in when you close the door”

Hotel Monte Castelo
Ranked #43 of 332 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel Monte Castelo - Helpful and handy but breath in when you close the door”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Small room and very small bathroom, you just about have to sit on the toilet to close the door - and I am not saying that because I have a large bottom.  Honestly.  The shower itself is fine though.  Close to Gloria metro, useful to get to Copacabana and Ipanema, metro is safe and easy way to get around (get a pre-pay card, works out just over £1 a trip, regardless of distance)

Rooms can be very noisy as sound echoes up through the open centre - if someone drops a spoon on the tiles below everyone hears it.  Strange design.

Breakfast is limited, watery juice - pity as Brazil has fantastic juices - Acai is heaven on earth when done properly - cold meat, bread and cheese and usually water melon or guava. DIY Toasted sandwich maker does help.

Very helpful reception. All our tours (booked from England) were late and disorganized - Gray Line via City discovery were particular bad. Booked in English but you have to ring them the day before your trip to confirm and they don't speak English.  Cost me a fortune in mobile phone costs - almost as much as the tour - before the guy at the hotel reception sorted it out. Tour was then late.  Better, quicker and cheaper to just make your own way to and from the attractions, which is pretty much all Gray Line does for you.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Me and my friend rented a twin room for 2 nights, and the first impression was that we were walking in a hostel. Not a big issue then, as the location is great - very central in a relatively safe area and walking distances from the metro, Lapa and Santa Tereza.

The main issue here is the lack of cleanliness of the room. The linen was stained, so were all the towels - white and colourful. Dirty blankets. On the second day our room was not cleaned at all because there was only one lady to clean the entire building, so she showed up around 6pm - extremely inconvenient. We had to ask to at least receive clean towels but slept on a dirty room and used a dirty bathroom.

The owner was extremely rude one evening, which demotivated me to go back.

I would not recommend this place to anyone, and will definitely stay at a different hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights while in Rio. It is in a sidestreet and there is not so much traffic. The surrounding area was ok, with some shops a few restaurants. Transport is easy to find, but also easy to walk to downtown (20 mins) as well as the beaches. Gloria subway station is only 5 mins walk away. This small hotel is quite old, but nicely redone. It is fairly basic but had everything I needed and was comfortable. The room was clean and so the bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful. My room was on the 2nd floor facing the street and was a bit noisy early evening since there was a street bar below. however not all that bad - nothing that a set of earplugs couldnt solve. I am sure the rooms towards the back will be more quiet. Breakfast was the usual Brazilian style of cheese, ham, fruit, coffee & juice and was fresh everyday. For the price (I paid R$130 a night for a room with a double bed) I think it is a good deal. Some of the other hotels I had in mind was located some streets away towards Lapa, but this area did seem rather grotty and I am glad I stayed where I did. I had initial contact by email and the reply was prompt. Booking was secured by creditcard payment in advance and balance payable on arrival.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank msjvanrooy
Adjuntas, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Cant beat the price for a clean room with bathroom, free wifi and breakfast in Rio and close to a metro! I paid close to 75 usd and it was an excellent option. Disclaimer: This is a very simple accommodation, but it was clean which is what matters most to me. Most of the peolple that I saw didnt looked like foreign tourist, but more like Brazilians maybe doing business or other matters. The place felt safe and I would say that the only weird thing is that the room has two windows overlooking the hall, so there is no natural light at all. Somehow it didnt feel claustrophobic to me. I guess that most of the rooms are like that since the hotel is like a big house with lots of rooms habilitated. My room had Air conditioning, a small TV and fridge.

We were just looking to spend one night before our late night flight and we were able to do lots of things before it. We were not able to do a late check out but you can leave your luggage in a designated place of the hotel that is locked. The staff was really accommodating and helpful, I would say better than the more expensive hotel that I used in Rio. They let us took a shower before we left and this was just great since I dont think there are showers in the airport and we had been all day walking.

Room Tip: I guess that if you need natural light you need the rooms in the last floor but Im not sure.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank silarem
Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 27 April 2011

If you are budget-minded, yet do not want to share the room with 5 other people in a dorm room, Hotel Monte Castelo is your solution in Rio. It is a great hotel for those who are seeking a place to sleep, not necessarily a place to "be" (that place to "be" is Rio itself). It is conveniently located near the Gloria metro station, and is quite clean. Rio IS extremely expensive (because the Real is so much overvalued); Monte Castelo is about the only under-100 Real a night place which is also decent. The staff is friendly and helpful, the wi-fi works - so if you don't want to take a second mortgage, and you are ok with a decent, no-frills hotel, then Hotel Montecastelo is ok for you. One word of advice: the bathrooms are small, the sinks are minuscule - they do their job unless you want to wash your clothes.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank virgiliupop
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Monte Castelo in Gloria while she was recovering from surgery in Rio de Janeiro. We needed a clean, inexpensive, comfortable and quiet place to stay for at least two weeks. Most of the hotels in Rio de Janeiro were fully booked during the time we needed to be in Rio de Janeiro but Roberta, the General Manager of Hotel Monte Castelo, was very gracious and professional in accommodating us. She promptly responded to all of our emails and phone calls.

The Hotel Monte Castelo is an older style of small, Brazilian hotel (my wife and I found it to be both quaint and at the same time a little more chic than you would typically expect from a low cost property). The Hotel Monte Castelo has recently been renovated throughout including new beds, furniture and split AC units which really reduce the noise / hum levels.

The Hotel Monte Castelo's café de manhã / breakfast is simple but they use only high quality ingredients and everthing on the buffet is very fresh. The Hotel Staff, who also take their breakfast from the same buffet as the guests, give extra care and attention to the buffet because they want it to always be nice for the Hotel's guests and themselves.

The Hotel Staff are all very friendly and accommodating and many speak quite good English which is often hard to find in Brazilian hotels.

While the end of the street where the hotel is located, Rua Cândido Mendes, empties into a park-like setting and is quite close to a Metro / Subway Stop, it is important to be careful during the day and night when you are walking as there are many types of people out and about. However, there is a Taxi Stand in front of the hotel so it's easy to take a Taxi and avoid the pedestrian trafffic on the sidewalks.

Lapa, one of Rio de Janeiro's major nightlife and entertainment districts, is just a few blocks away from the Hotel Monte Castelo as is Centro or downtown Rio de Janeiro. Copacabana is a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the hotel, depending on traffic.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ManInTheMiddle
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The staff was nice at check in, however the night i checked into the room the bathrooms was really dirty. Because of this, I could not have a bath until the next day. They said that the maid would come at 8 am, but she didnt come to my room until 12pm. The maid cleaned the bathroom floors but she didnt clean the tiles on the wall, but they said that when i go she's going to clean the rest of the room. When I came back, she didnt clean the room or change the sheets and there is no english speaking staff available at nights. In the morning tried to have some breakfast but there were flies everywhere on the food; which was sliced papya, diluted drink, coffee and slices of bread, all uncovered with flies pitching on them. So i couldn't have breakfast and decided to find another hotel. When I came back for my luggage at about 5pm, a new guy was present and he demanding money for another day. I was shocked, as I checked in at about 10pm in the night and they didn't clean my room I thought he would allow me to leave considering these factors,but he started acting aggressive, so I gave him the money. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS DIRTY, FILTHY, MONEY HUNGRY PLACE!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo