“Hotel Granada”
Review of Hotel Granada

Hotel Granada
Ranked #102 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very close to Lapa De Arch in Rio. Just 50m from happening night life in lapa. Rooms are clean and service is good. Break fast selection is incredible especially the range of fruits. Was expensive to stay probably because of FIFA world cup at the moment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ajitnbr

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Checked In with a couple friends. Only stayed one night. I'm not sure where to begin to keep this review short. So my strong suggestion is to simply find and stay someplace else. If you want more details ...... Keep reading, otherwise good luck.

I am an international traveler and really wanted to keep an open mind as it is also a busy time with the World Cup events ongoing. However, at first they could not find the reservation. Finally got that settled after 30+ minutes. Next they were confused because parking is included but could not tell us where to park. There is a pay parking garage next door but that is not the garage. The garage is some blocks away in this questionable neighborhood and you must leave the bellman the keys to park the car for you.

Next the air conditioner in the room did not work. There is also NO hot water in the shower and the bathroom sinks would not drain

Also the internet does not work in the rooms. I really can not complain too much about free internet, so I guess you get what you pay for. Nothing !

I visited the front desk to request assistance on the issues noted above because the phone in the room did not work and no instructions were near the phone on how to contact them. So I walked down to reception.

At the reception desk they assured me someone would come to check things out. I returned to my room and waited another 40 minutes. So I then walked back to the reception area and was more aggressive in my demands.

This time they had a bellman accompany me to the room where he was unable to fix the air conditioner or the internet or the sink drains.

He was able to get the hot hot water after letting it run about 10 minutes with the setting on blue/cold. I suppose blue means hot water or the pipe connections were simply wrong

I did try three other faucets and other shower connection boult no hot water. Regardless of setting them to blue or red. So the only one with hot water was one of the two shower heads.

After the bellman left the room the reception desk did call about 10 minutes later to see if the items were corrected. After informing him the details noted above, he offered to move us to another room.

We declined as two of my travel mates opted for the cold shower and were tired and ready to sleep in the hot room anyway

We checked out at 2 A. M. in the morning. We just couldn't take it and we had early flight anyway

It is a shame as the hotel seems modern with potential to be good but some serious basic maintenance is desperately needed. As well as some better customer service.

Good luck !

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rogelio214
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Almost assaulted twice in 3 days...stay away or get a gun !
I stayed in this one right ow for three days.the hotel itself is kind of new with all the Brazil Flaws ... The night time receptionist neede ten minutes to find my booking, the elevator is slow, the maids bother you at 7 am ..talking for 2 hours about their tedious lifes (believe me, speaking portuguese gets you lots of evitable insignificant insights in day to day boooooring lufes of the locals).they are noisy and don t care too much about paying guests.we had room 1212 with a nice view over the city and the cathedral.the room was newer and had like 50 channel cable with fastidious local and international prgrammes. The reakfast was okay,nice fresh fruit like pineapples,melons,honeymelons.no diet option ...my yogurt had like 600 calories but okay.
Juices not fresh and typical brazilian waiters just standing around doing nothing at all ....nothing.. Great...at least no need to tip. The bathroom a disaster....the levers of both sink and shower faucet popped out and broke a glass they actually wanted to charge. I asked the directro to come to the room and he politely waived the charge. I hated the girl in the morning at the reception talking back it never happens..they should learn the guest is king and pays their wages.terrible attitude. Typical brazil.
We almost got assaulted outside the hotel. We ran as fast as possible ack to the hotel.the worst of it is the area.only prostitutes,muggers and dirt. Just in front of the hotel nothing but prostitutes, shemales and drugs.....I AM NOT AT ALL EXAGERATING ...I NEVER SAW A PLACE LIKE THAT, NEITHER IN BANGKOK NOR IN NAPLES,ITALY. The second day another shady guy was coming after us ... We ran to the next police car and the guy was gone.WE WERE TOLD A FOREIGNER HAD BEEN KILLED IN THE LAPA ARE LAST YEAR...GREAT TO KNOW !A real shame for a world cup city. Resuming..area 0 stars, service 0 stars, director 5 stars ,room 3 starts , safety 0 and overall 2...really not to be recommended. Be careful at any time. The neighbourhood really is awful and highly dangerous!!!! No way to go there with kids.....
Get a life insurance or get a gun if you should stay in this one.
This hotel in a different location would actually be even a brazilian 3.5 stars,like this inmidst of shemales,drugs and violence ...no way.be cautious....do not become a statistic !!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in this area. Very bad. Really !!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank adrianmiami
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Nicely located in Lapa within walking distance of bars and restaurants. Bus to beaches goes from outside. The staff were helpful and efficient in organising taxis and recommending travel/trips. A standard hotel room that was very clean. The rooftop pool was nice for cocktails and a good view. Would recommend

Room Tip: Rooms at the back were quieter. Higher rooms have nicer views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tomvh1978
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed overnight before boarding a cruise. For a night it was ok. As usual I can only describe my room and experience as I did not see other rooms.

Porter helped us in and reception was fine. Nice lobby considering location.

Room was tiny "new style" and not for the claustrophobic! Horrible view of an empty lot which clearly had some building on it in the past. The room has all it needs really fridge wardrobe etc bed was nice. Aircon not so great I mean it works but is a cheap non split unit from what I could see and not very well installed so noisy!
Bathroom has a shower and was designed in such a way that entry is not so comfortable but all in all nice clean bathroom.

Breakfast which was a real Brazilian affair nothing to write home about basic few eggs pork sausages fruit and a few pastries again ok but nothing special.

Location is horrible no reason I can think why a tourist would stay in Lapa rather than near the sea. We all different though so perhaps others enjoy being in a dirty old neighbourhood.

Having said that I was only there one night and wanted to go to Rio scenarium, which by the way is vitally important to book long before you even leave home!! The queue was long, really long and we were rushed in on account of the booking I made. When I left after midnight the queue was maybe 300 or more strong!!

All in all not bad, ok value, small room (smaller than my cabin on the Orchestra) for me not nice location but comfortable and clean. Probably 3 and a half stars not 3 and not 4.

Room Tip: stay near the sea! Why stay in town??
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gary D
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel is just ok.. the first night I lost TV signal (no cable or antenna).... I called the frontdesk and they told it is all over the hotel. The next morning when I went down for breakfast, I asked again and they said they are trying to fix it and perhaps, it may be fixed until the end of the day. I told the gentleman, if it is not fixed by the time I return in the evening, I will not pay the same rate! After that, within the time it took me to take the elevator and get to my room, the signal was back on.. I wondered what was that about?...
The neighborhood like some Centros in cities, is full of prostitutes... so, be careful...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank travel2findoneself
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We enjoyed a nice stay at this hotel. After reading the reviews here, we weren't expecting to find Hotel Granada to offer such a good value for the price we've paid. The meals are very good and the rooms are quite comfortable. It is also placed in a nice area. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple