“very nice hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cuiaba, MT
“very nice hotel”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I and my son had being at this hotel for a weekend, last June
Very nice hotel friendly and helpful staff, delicious breakfast, the room is clean and clear, the bathroom is spacious, the towels are big and soft.
Just few steps of Copacabana ashore..
We recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank GLORIAGRAZZIOTIN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We cheked into this hotel for three nights. The hotel has a problem that if tenants put their key card the wrong way into the switch that turns on electricity, it will cause a breaker to continuously fire. This is very noisy. I didn't sleep for two nights and the hotel did little to take care of the problem. The first night they did not fix it until the next morning. The second night, it happened again. Terrible experience in a high priced hotel.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms next to switch cabinets in the hallway. You may not be able to sleep.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 June 2011

To be frank, I find it difficult to understand what the many positive comments are about. I stayed at this hotel last weekend, and was not very impressed. Check-in is very matter-of-fact, to the point of slightly rude and service throughout the hotel is usually not polite. For example, at the breakfast, you can't use half of the space because it is 'prepared for lunch', which seems a bit odd and the waiter seemed very unapologetic. The room itself is nothing out of the ordinary - it is very much like a perfectly normal business hotel room with -it has to be said- good WiFi. Basic amenities are there; the bathroom is OK (although I didn't have a bathtub), there is a safe and my room had lateral sea view. Oddly, there is a pricelist of the items in the room, why would that be? To indicate replacement value? If so, prices seemed a bit excessive.

Service in the bar up on the rooftop wasn't fantastic either and, frankly, one the 'bellboys' have a bit of an attitude. When I asked for the price of a taxi to Pan de Azucar, one said he could 'arrange' a taxi for some R$ 20, when in actual fact, taking a cab on the street, I paid only R$ 10. The list goes on. When the in-room safe didn't open -I made a mistake typing in the code- someone came up to help and then didn't manage so said he would contact the company the same evening. When I didn't hear back, I went down to reception and someone called 'Aldo' told me that this person had told him that he would fix the problem the next day. When I said that was not what I had heard, Aldo said "he is the general manager, he can say anything he wants". Quite unpleasant. As it turned out, this person was not the general manager (the general manager was very professional, solving the problem the next day very smoothly).

On the plus side, the breakfast is quite OK and the location excellent. But for over US$ 300 a night (and, in my opinion, I work hard for my money), this deal felt a bit like a rip-off, which is why I can't be very positve about the Arena Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't know
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Moritz73
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 June 2011

After a disastrous start to our Rio trip (make sure you avoid the Royalty Copacabana Hotel) we booked the Arena the day before we checked in. The staff were really helpful.

The best thing about this hotel is the location overlooking Copacabana Beach, it really is amazing. The photograph opportunities from the roof top pool and terrace make the stay here worthwhile alone.

The room was well appointed and acceptable in size. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Overall the hotel feels very modern and you feel very comfortable staying.

I don't think you will find as contemporary, stylish and great value for money hotel anywhere else along Copacabana beach. I would definitely stay here again next time I am in Rio.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Our trip to Brazil had a very rocky start. Our travel agency failed to arrange our airport transfer and had made a reservation at this hotel for us, but had failed to pass our payment on to them. The front desk, Aldo in particular, were extremely helpful and accommodating. They let us check in and agreed to battle on our behalf with the travel agent for payment of the room. Furthermore, Aldo helped us to confirm all our future hotels and tours on the trip. He helped to turn the disastrous start of our vacation into a spectacular experience. Aldo's restaurant recommendations were very good and he was extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. The hotel was new, clean and very comfortable. We had a beautiful view of Copacabana beach from our room and the view from the roof top is breath-taking, especially at night with Christ the Redeemer on one side, and the moonlit beach on the other. The roof-top pool was quite small, which didn't matter to me as I don't swim. The hotel was extremely well located and it felt safe to walk around outside the hotel, although we were advised to be cautious late at night. Despite this, there were several families and children walking on the beachside promenade, even quite late at night so it seemed safe at all times. All in all we couldn't have picked a better hotel in RIo de Janeiro.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2011

The location is great as far as Copacobana goes, however we found the beach at Ipanema to be a bit nicer. As it was our honeymoon (and we made a point of mentioning it - why not? :)) the guy at the front desk kindly upgraded us to a side-on view of the beach which was great to wake up to every day. Breakfast was a pretty wide selection and they even cooked up a separate serving of scrambled eggs for my wife who is allergic to dairy. The gym only has a couple of machines however is on the rooftop level and, like the roof bar, has fantastic views across the beach. As others have mentioned (and the front desk acknowledged) the internet is very expensive by Sth American standards at R$30 (around USD$20) per 24 hours however there is an internet cafe just around the corner if you need it. Apart from that we had a great stay and it was only on the last day that we got some rain and the concierge kindly got the cab to back right up to the door so we wouldn't get wet... All in all a great place to stay and explore from however a final word of warning - be very careful with credit cards as we were scammed big-time. We had a Travel Visa card and used it ONLY ONCE in Brazil at a restaurant near the hotel while we were there, and found out later that they had copied the card and bought USD$5000 worth of goods from various places around Rio before Visa put a hold on the card. Visa/Police are investigating and will reimburse us (especially seeing as the purchases were made when we were in Peru) but what a hassle so be very careful with your cards. The restaurant to avoid was called 'Odara Rest & Bar' (from my card statement) and is prob 200m from the hotel, along the promenade to the left of the Arena if facing it with back to the beach...

Room Tip: Get married beforehand and be on your honeymoon!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
NATALBRAZIL
Reviewed 23 May 2011

this hotel is quite new, well located and facing to the beach, near 15 minutes walking to metro station or easy to take bus or taxi. The breakfast it's nice with fresh foods. the bedroom is was, it wasn't really big, but had a nice and modern decoration and the bathroom its the same, I felt confortable there and the room had a nice view to copacabana beach. My only complain about the bedroom was the bed, because for me and my wife was hard, and he had back pain. but we still will come back again when we come back to Rio .

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple