“Very good hotel!”

Ranked #21 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Bergen, Norway
“Very good hotel!”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

The staff is really welcoming, and will gladly help you with anything.
Great location, and a very nice place on the roof with bar, pool, massage and fitness room, and view at copacabana beach.

This is definitely one of the best five hotels I have ever stayed in. I must say it again, the staff was really helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonasFrost

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Arena Copacabana was definitely worth its value. The location and service were top-notch!
Only complaint was that Wi-Fi wasn't free!
Special thanks to Dark for all the tips!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I would say that this is an average hotel. The location is good for Copacabana, but I think most of the beach action is in Ipanema. It is very clean and the bathrooms are big. The shower had really good water pressure. The beds are a little firm.
There are only two elevators (3 if you count the service elevator), which is a little frustrating when the hotel is busy.
If you ask for restaurant recommendations, they will send you to Porcao (which is touristy, but still tasty). If they offer their hotel car to take you, don't take it! They will overcharge you.
We traveled throughout South America and all our other hotels had free internet. The Arena Copacabana charges you per day or per minute. I would probably not stay here again because I would stay in Ipanema instead.
We did meet the manager of the hotel and he was very friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I absolutely love the Arena Copacabana!

Marcio on reception was very welcoming and accommodating with all my queries. I think I was ripped me off on a football tour I booked as everyone on my bus tour from other hotels paid 40 reals less but all other tours I booked were the going rate. I highly recommend the jeep favela, forest tour as they ended up taking our group to St Teresa as well and turned into an all day tour for a bigger tip. It was a thrill ridiing on the back on the openair jeep for 8-10pax. It is worth taking tours to all the sightseeing places such as sugar loaf, Christ Redeemer, Macarana Stadium as you bypass all the queues and it would be much slower paying as you go.

Location of the Hotel is perfect right on the beach, no worries on belongings which can stay in the hotel. It is only a 10 min taxi ride to an awesome shopping mall RioSul, highly recommended for the girls!

I had no problems walking along Copacabana beach by myself late at night close to midnight with my camera and bag, don't recommend this but I was lucky and they have great police patrols everywhere and there were lots of people walking along the beach at night.

Breakfast were fantastic at Arena! I was in heaven! Creme Caramel, custard buns, fruit, coffee, hot breakfast, chocolate crepes, you name it, and I had enough to cover me for most of the day. The best breakfast in Brazil! I finally had great coffee there too which I had not had all over Brazil. I didn't eat at the Hotel for any other meals but it would have been delicious. I highly recommend going for dinner at the Arab restaurant 2 mins walk from the Hotel, delicious food and has won many awards. I also highly recommend going for a cocktail at Copacabana Palace 5mins walk away. Stunning hotel as well!

I went to Bossa Nova club in Ipanema Beach which was awesome where you can have dinner and watch the jazz/blues show. A real highlight!

Going to the football at Macarana Stadium was awesome as well but I went to the last match before 2014 so don't think you can do this now.

At Arena they have a beautiful pool and gym and bar on the top level but only went there for a look, no time to use and had no time to go for a swim in Copacabana Beach as the weather turned rainy and cold. Great for shopping though!

I hope I can return one day, I had a beautiful experience and didn't want to leave. They made me feel like family and my room 810 was perfect even though a twin room with stunning beach views. I had expected to share with friends from my tour group but everyone went their separate ways and I didn't want to lose the view so stayed in the room. The rooms are brand new, great decor, polished floors, large lcd, goregous showers, minibar not that expensive and room was kept well maintained by the maids. I miss the maids now! I wasn't looking forward to coming back to my old, small unit either.

It is a short walk from pubs, restaurants, cafes, markets, banks and shops. I consider it a perfect location for staying in Rio and rooms are quiet, no outside noise!!!!!

I also loved how responsible the Hotel is about saving energy, water etc

The reviews I had read were spot on! Hope this helps someone too! I recommend this Hotel to everyone! Say "Hi" to Marcio for me!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank princessroxio
Johannesburg
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I stayed at the Arena Copacabana Hotel at Rio de Janeiro's most fanous beach for a conference, with some days before and after. The hotel was overall a really good place to stay: very centrally located, convenient for the conference (we could walk there in 20 minutes), new and not too small rooms, decent breakfast.

The only disappointment was the reception staff, which was everything from great, friendly and helpful right down to substandard, unfriendly and confused. Through a travel agent I got an early check-in confirmed, but when I arrived at 10 am I was told after some discussion and confusion that the room wasn't ready and I should come back at 12 - oh no, some more discussion and confusion: 2 pm. Okay, no shower before the first two meetings.

Later I asked a question to a receptionist and he first started to find an answer, then his colleague came and they discussed another guests issue, he went away, came back, completely ignoring me, and when I complained about his behavious he got snappy.

A colleague was then told during a discussion about the high costs for internet (R$30 / €13 per day) and the ironing of some shirts upon arrival (a hefty R$12 / €5 for a service that most hotels provide free of charge) that Germans are arrogant and that's why they killed 6 million jews.... Completely inacceptable, I never heard anything as bad from any service staff as here, however the manager later complained and I blame this to the individual person and not the hotel.

Overall I had a good time and the facilities are flawless, not something you find readily in some other Copacabana hotels.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank doc_dance
London
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed at the Arena for 5 days and had a great time.
The hotel is chic and simple, our room had an amazing view from the 11th floor and was very nice (except for the beds which are not good). The style of the room is basic and simple but for that price, that location and that view, it makes the room just perfect.
Staff at reception was very nice, however recommendations in terms of nightlife and restaurants were not very good.
The only bad point is about breakfast, quality of food is just ok and staff really weird. The sitting arrangement is confusing and staff are busier setting up tables for lunch than cleaning up breakfast tables. For the entire stay waiters were a bit rude and several clients complained: they watched tv in the middle of the room, do not give the way to clients and never smiled. The receptionist at breakfast couldn't be bothered welcoming clients or smiling.

Despite the breakfast issues, the hotel is very good and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I stayed on my last night during carnival. I was fortunate to get a two night stay at a reasonable rate during carnival. I moved down from the Marriott. I was really impressed. When I return, I will try this hotel over the Marriott, though I was please with my stay at the Marriott.

The hotel has a modern hip decor, the staff was excellent at the door and at the front desk. The room had great decoration, comfortable bed and a great shower. The gym and pool also where on the roof. The pool was small but the view was excellent as there was a glass wall that all the way around.

Breakfast was included with my rate. The breakfast was a European buffett with cereal, meats, cheese and breads. The service was quick. They helped arrange for a taxi to return for my night flight return to the US. They had some great music playing in the lobby. The hotel is a few blocks down from the Marriott so the location is great. The hotel also felt very safe. The area around the hotel was also very safe.

I can't think of anything negative to report.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple