“Not what you expect”

Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Location, staff & decoration are great and charming. Breakfast is abundant and delicious.
BUT, it's impossible to sleep at night (try sleeping during the day, much calmer). There's a rule saying no noise after 10pm, unfortunately even the staff members don't respect it (and then you see them sleep and/or relax in the patio during the day). So basically avoid the place if you intend to visit Rio and surroundings all day, and come back to a room where you can actually rest.
It's not what I would consider clean but it's ok, appart from the stains on towels and sewer smell in bathroom.
Another thing I found disappointing, the prices rise during special events in Rio (like soccer games etc.) eventhough there is construction work for the Metro line right in front of the entrance door, -and just so you know, in Brazil, road construction work is from 6am to 11pm, every day... as if there was not enough noise INside the Pousada...
Anyway, upon receiving their "rate your stay at Bonita Ipanema" form I wrote them an email about all that explaining my stay had not been nice considering how much I paid (because of Confederation Games)... they did not bother answering.
So, Unless you want to party all night, I suggest you find another place to stay at.
Oh, I almost forgot: the swimming pool is absolutely useless, dirty and so small, I never saw anyone in there in 5 days.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vio S
Bonita I, Gerente de relações com clientes at Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2016

Hello, Vio S,

thank you for your comments. Feedbacks are always very important to our team and we are happy to know that you liked our localization, breakfast, decoration and staff. However we are deeply sorry that your experience was not fully satisfactory. We do pursue a high standard of service, but naturally there are differences, including infrastructure, from hotels to hostels.

We do settle many efforts in keeping the noise down, as our bar only works untill 10:00 PM. When other guests arrive during the night we do ask for silence, but guests that travel in group do make it slightly more difficult. Modifications are being planned for the common area to avoid such issues. Our hostel is not a night party backparker.

Cleanliness and hygiene are paramount concerns for us. Our installations, equipments, rooms and bathrooms are cleaning daily. Our bed linen is washed with a professional laundry company every check-out and often we exchange those that are not in good condition, which certainly happened to this he described. Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated on a daily basis. We regret the size it was not enough for your liking.

Prices, not only of the accommodations but all services and products from the city really suffer a significant increase in high season and global events periods. This is so because of the supply and demand law and it happens in all the cities of the world. We regret the fact that the cost-benefit of the services and products from Rio de Janeiro were not advantageous in your perception.

All images we publish on the website are an attempt to illustrate the reality of our infrastructure. We do not see any advantage to represent something more than we are because we want to be always in accordance with our customers expectations. That’s why we are keen to describe in detail our rooms and services. We are deeply sorry for its dissonance.

We hope that your concerns have been cleared up and that you give us another try on your next visit to Rio, so we can provide you with the carioca experience that you truly deserve.

Manuela Miró
Marketing | Bonita Ipanema

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Im genuinly surprised reading through some of the negative reviews this hostel has recieved on here, I dunno whatås wrong with some folks.. Unless youve burdened yourself with some ridiculous false sense of expectation I just dont get it..

The place has a great feel to it, its got a nice mellow atmosphere and is in a truly great location just a short walk from Ipanema beach, surrounded by restaurants, bars and eateries, not to mention everykind oif shop and facility one might need. The rooms are clean and well maintained daily, the beds are comfy and the bedding is clean and fresh. The offer a laundry service, have free wi+fi and staff that speak a variety of languages.

Overall I found the staff to be the best thing about this hostel even though I dont really have anything bad to say about my entire experience. I lost my phone charger, but dont blame anybody except myself for that as I left it in the outside communal area overnight. When I informed the staff they did a thorough search and were more than helpful in pointing me towards somewhere I can buy another, in the meantime they offered me use of their PC that they have there.
I felt welcome and comfortable throughout my stay there and wouldnt hesitate to go back.. To be honest for the amount you pay to stay there in such a warm and friendly environment with all the facilities I really dont understand how anybody could fault it.. I actually wonder if they are even charging enough for their rooms, its peanuts and in comparison to how cold and downright snooty some people can be in hotels where yoiu pay 10 times as much I cant honestly find fault.. I dunno how much the staff there get paid but Id be the first to say they All deserve a Massive pay rise, from the cool friendly dude and sweet receptionist staff, to the hard working and through cleaning staff and the caipri making Master behind the bar if I had a hostel Id employ this lot without a second thought, All of them. Theyre excellent, nice place overall but its them that really make the difference.

Thanks ! Hopefully see you again one day

Luke

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LukeLuka
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I was forced to stay here with the rest of my school group - we had dorm B, the one past the managers office across from the luggage storage. The room to the cleaning supplies is right next to it and smelt so strongly of chemicals I felt sick. The bed sheets were stained, moldy looking (ever heard of hot water?) and had an awful odor that made it hard to sleep. The mattress had an awful smell, was dirty/stained and had evidence of bedbug invasion (although I didn't actually see any).The window had a AC unit that was poorly installed - there was a 2-3 inch gap that you could stick your hand through around the unit. We got eaten alive by bugs. The window because of the gap to the outside had a TON of black mold all around the window sill. I'm allergic to mold and hoped they'd move me to a different room but their staff didn't give a poop. Very inconsiderate! The window curtain had a ton of black mold on it as well. I am pretty sure I got ringworm from this place because it showed up on my last day here (stayed for 3 nights/4days) and this was the first place in Brazil we went.; this place was very unsanitary, had cats running around and dirty smelly hammocks that I don't think have ever been washed. Ringworm thrives in moist and dirty environments and on animals! And I was so careful to not touch anything unclean; always used hand sanitizer-- I was so careful and paranoid-- but it didn't help! Don't get me started on the bathroom - dirty wet concrete floors and walls, bad musky odor, not enough toilets/showers..... EVERYTHING was SO unsanitary that I didn't want to touch anything or set anything down!!!! Thank god I brought sandals to wear in the shower. The pool looked gross even though they'd just drained and refilled it (I don't know why they bother) and the chairs in the courtyard were uncomfortable and broken. Smokers were allowed to smoke where ever they wanted outside and even in the pool room which let it drift into our room, which made it difficult to enjoy sitting anywhere, only to have a smoker plop themselves down near you and light up. What an awful first place to stay for my first time in Brazil - it was a definite shock. Who cares if this place is close to the beach, it was nightmare trying to sleep here knowing its unclean/unsanitary and uncomfortable! Seriously, go stay someplace else - its worth the extra $$$.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AmericanGeographer

Hello, AmericanGeographer,

Cleanliness and hygiene are paramount concerns for us. As Rio de Janeiro is a very humid city which compels us to be constantly making repairs, cleanning and replacing equipaments and furnitures.

Our installations, equipments, rooms and bathrooms are cleaning daily. Our shared bathrooms are cleaned 3 times a day, but one person is enough to not let in proper condition for the next. Our bed linen is washed with a professional laundry company every check-out and often we exchange those that are not in good condition, which certainly happened to this he described. Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated on a daily basis.

We have a cat that was adopted as a puppy to be Bonita Ipanema’s pet. Her name is Maya and she is very well treated: 3 in 3 months she is taken to the veterinary to take bath and consultation and is fed with one of the bests ration in market. Unfortunately, she is a bit temperamental and sympathizes only with a few people. = p

Anyways, we hope that your concerns have been cleared up,apologize for all the inconvenience and assure you that we are going to keep working hard to improve our services and provide a fully satisfactory carioca experience.

Manuela Miró
Marketing | Bonita Ipanema

Reviewed 6 June 2013

The positives: nice bar area, very social, fantastic location, comfortable bed, some very friendly staff

The negatives: the bathrooms need more regular cleaning, some (but definitely not all) of the staff had a very lazy sour attitude, the private rooms are expensive for what they are (especially at weekend rates) and the 11pm noise curfew was not enforced meaning that I did not sleep until the bar quietened down at almost 3am, and was woken by the breakfast staff at 7am. Despite my complaints no refund or partial refund was offered which left me disappointed.

I stayed here twice during my recent trip to Brazil - I returned the second time on account mainly of the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2013

When you enter Bonita it has a lovely feel, relaxed and friendly vibe. The communal area where breakfast is served and the small pool are lovely, and I was very happy lounging and reading my book here. The room itself however was very small. we had a private room with shared bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean but with white washed walls and no pictures, and a patch of damp on the ceiling it did have an air of cell about it. This would have been fine if it were cheap but as we found in much of southern Brazil, you don't get much for your money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Bonita I, Manager at Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time in describing your experience at Bonita Ipanema.
All comments encourage us to go forth with our continuous work.

The specif room you refer to has just been renewed. Walls were painted white and one colored. Paintings were set up together with a wooden protection on the wall that also reinforces the decoration.

Hopefully we will have you stay with us again on your next trip to Rio de Janeiro.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Sheets and towels were stained. The mattress was awful. The walls were dirty. The room was too small. Two of the front desk people had an attitude. When you complained about something they always had an excuse and didn’t solve the problem. The common areas were ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

All comments encourage us to go forth with our continuous work.

Our bed linen is washed with a professional laundry company and two weeks ago new bed linen and towels arrived to change with the older ones. Last year we renewed 50% of our mattresses and this year we will be changing the rest. Room painting is being taking place as with do it every year. Rooms where it is necessary we do it 2 times a year.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

My friend and I booked this place at the last minute and it was the only hotel available that was under $200/night. It is not really a hotel, but it is more of a mixed hostel with private rooms as well. It has a hipster type flare, and caters to a younger group of people rather than families. The decor was a little cheesy, but it kind of reminded me of a nostalgic 60's era and I liked it.

Even though the staff spoke fluent English, some of the front desk people presented with attitude. If you have a room facing the courtyard, you many not be able to sleep due to all the nose from the guests partying til 3 am. The courtyard seemed like a nice place to hang out and meet people, but the pool was absolutely disgusting, and looked like a health hazard. There wasn't much of a variety at the breakfast buffet, even the fruit selection was dismal. The rooms were adequate. Each room had its own flare, and were small but clean.

The location of the place made up for all the shortcomings. It is in the heart of Ipanema, a few blocks from the beach. Everything from restaurants, bars to shops is only a few steps away. If you do not have a problem with the hippy and loud party atmosphere, the Bonita shouldn't be a problem for you. Even though I may not stay at the Bonita again, it was certainly a welcome change from what I'm used to.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dreemz05

All comments encourage us to go forth with our continuous work.

We do settle many efforts in keeping the noise down, as our bar only works untill 10:00 PM. When other guests arrive during the night we do ask for silence. Guests that travel in group do make it slightly more difficult. Modifications are being planned for the common area to avoid such issues.
Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated on a daily basis. At breakfast we look forward in serving it as it is composed with 4 fruit types, 2 juices, cake, bread, cheese, ham, butter, jam, guava, toaster, milk, coffee, tea, chocolate, liquid yogurt, together with other items.