“Pretty charming”

Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel
“Pretty charming”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hostel is charming; everything in warm and nice colors. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bathrooms, however, could do much better. Breakfast is really good (they're serving fresh cake every day). In addition they've got a bar with affordable prices.
It is only a five minutes walk from legendary Ipanema beach. The area around the hostel is safe and has loads of shopping and dining opportunities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This hostel is simple but relatively good in the category. Anyway, dont expect much. What is really good is the location that is in the heart of Ipanema - close to Posto 9. You can walk to Lebon ( about a 20-min walk).

• Stayed October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This place is in a great location for when the metro station finally opens, it's just a couple of hundred metres up the road.
It is nice, clean, basic and the staff are helpful.
It's walking distance to the beach, it has a pool (which was only cleaned on our last day so we didn't use it) and the breakfast is very good. Nice coffee (surprisingly rare in south america!).
The walls are quite thin, we had a private room on the top floor (private bathroom) and we could hear the groups of girls in the rooms either side getting in late and giggling. You get this in hostels yes, so not really a complaint.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank retired_backpacker
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 15 September 2013

It is a really nice hostel, with great location in Ipanema (very safe, walking distance to the best beaches and next to the restaurant area) and excellent service. Really beautiful garden inside and great atmosphere. Perfect value for money. However, keep in mind it is a hostel, therefore do not expect much from the rooms and the beds. Perfect for young people travelling alone, not recommended for families, older couples nor business trips.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the first floor as it can be very noisy at nights when people are outside in the gard...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Location, staff & decoration are great and charming. Breakfast is abundant and delicious.
BUT, it's impossible to sleep at night (try sleeping during the day, much calmer). There's a rule saying no noise after 10pm, unfortunately even the staff members don't respect it (and then you see them sleep and/or relax in the patio during the day). So basically avoid the place if you intend to visit Rio and surroundings all day, and come back to a room where you can actually rest.
It's not what I would consider clean but it's ok, appart from the stains on towels and sewer smell in bathroom.
Another thing I found disappointing, the prices rise during special events in Rio (like soccer games etc.) eventhough there is construction work for the Metro line right in front of the entrance door, -and just so you know, in Brazil, road construction work is from 6am to 11pm, every day... as if there was not enough noise INside the Pousada...
Anyway, upon receiving their "rate your stay at Bonita Ipanema" form I wrote them an email about all that explaining my stay had not been nice considering how much I paid (because of Confederation Games)... they did not bother answering.
So, Unless you want to party all night, I suggest you find another place to stay at.
Oh, I almost forgot: the swimming pool is absolutely useless, dirty and so small, I never saw anyone in there in 5 days.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vio S
Bonita I, Gerente de relações com clientes at Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel, responded to this review, 17 June 2016
Hello, Vio S,

thank you for your comments. Feedbacks are always very important to our team and we are happy to know that you liked our localization, breakfast, decoration and staff. However we are deeply sorry that your experience was not fully satisfactory. We do pursue a high standard of service, but naturally there are differences, including infrastructure, from hotels to hostels.

We do settle many efforts in keeping the noise down, as our bar only works untill 10:00 PM. When other guests arrive during the night we do ask for silence, but guests that travel in group do make it slightly more difficult. Modifications are being planned for the common area to avoid such issues. Our hostel is not a night party backparker.

Cleanliness and hygiene are paramount concerns for us. Our installations, equipments, rooms and bathrooms are cleaning daily. Our bed linen is washed with a professional laundry company every check-out and often we exchange those that are not in good condition, which certainly happened to this he described. Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated on a daily basis. We regret the size it was not enough for your liking.

Prices, not only of the accommodations but all services and products from the city really suffer a significant increase in high season and global events periods. This is so because of the supply and demand law and it happens in all the cities of the world. We regret the fact that the cost-benefit of the services and products from Rio de Janeiro were not advantageous in your perception.

All images we publish on the website are an attempt to illustrate the reality of our infrastructure. We do not see any advantage to represent something more than we are because we want to be always in accordance with our customers expectations. That’s why we are keen to describe in detail our rooms and services. We are deeply sorry for its dissonance.

We hope that your concerns have been cleared up and that you give us another try on your next visit to Rio, so we can provide you with the carioca experience that you truly deserve.

Manuela Miró
Marketing | Bonita Ipanema

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

London
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Im genuinly surprised reading through some of the negative reviews this hostel has recieved on here, I dunno whatås wrong with some folks.. Unless youve burdened yourself with some ridiculous false sense of expectation I just dont get it..

The place has a great feel to it, its got a nice mellow atmosphere and is in a truly great location just a short walk from Ipanema beach, surrounded by restaurants, bars and eateries, not to mention everykind oif shop and facility one might need. The rooms are clean and well maintained daily, the beds are comfy and the bedding is clean and fresh. The offer a laundry service, have free wi+fi and staff that speak a variety of languages.

Overall I found the staff to be the best thing about this hostel even though I dont really have anything bad to say about my entire experience. I lost my phone charger, but dont blame anybody except myself for that as I left it in the outside communal area overnight. When I informed the staff they did a thorough search and were more than helpful in pointing me towards somewhere I can buy another, in the meantime they offered me use of their PC that they have there.
I felt welcome and comfortable throughout my stay there and wouldnt hesitate to go back.. To be honest for the amount you pay to stay there in such a warm and friendly environment with all the facilities I really dont understand how anybody could fault it.. I actually wonder if they are even charging enough for their rooms, its peanuts and in comparison to how cold and downright snooty some people can be in hotels where yoiu pay 10 times as much I cant honestly find fault.. I dunno how much the staff there get paid but Id be the first to say they All deserve a Massive pay rise, from the cool friendly dude and sweet receptionist staff, to the hard working and through cleaning staff and the caipri making Master behind the bar if I had a hostel Id employ this lot without a second thought, All of them. Theyre excellent, nice place overall but its them that really make the difference.

Thanks ! Hopefully see you again one day

Luke

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LukeLuka
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I was forced to stay here with the rest of my school group - we had dorm B, the one past the managers office across from the luggage storage. The room to the cleaning supplies is right next to it and smelt so strongly of chemicals I felt sick. The bed sheets were stained, moldy looking (ever heard of hot water?) and had an awful odor that made it hard to sleep. The mattress had an awful smell, was dirty/stained and had evidence of bedbug invasion (although I didn't actually see any).The window had a AC unit that was poorly installed - there was a 2-3 inch gap that you could stick your hand through around the unit. We got eaten alive by bugs. The window because of the gap to the outside had a TON of black mold all around the window sill. I'm allergic to mold and hoped they'd move me to a different room but their staff didn't give a poop. Very inconsiderate! The window curtain had a ton of black mold on it as well. I am pretty sure I got ringworm from this place because it showed up on my last day here (stayed for 3 nights/4days) and this was the first place in Brazil we went.; this place was very unsanitary, had cats running around and dirty smelly hammocks that I don't think have ever been washed. Ringworm thrives in moist and dirty environments and on animals! And I was so careful to not touch anything unclean; always used hand sanitizer-- I was so careful and paranoid-- but it didn't help! Don't get me started on the bathroom - dirty wet concrete floors and walls, bad musky odor, not enough toilets/showers..... EVERYTHING was SO unsanitary that I didn't want to touch anything or set anything down!!!! Thank god I brought sandals to wear in the shower. The pool looked gross even though they'd just drained and refilled it (I don't know why they bother) and the chairs in the courtyard were uncomfortable and broken. Smokers were allowed to smoke where ever they wanted outside and even in the pool room which let it drift into our room, which made it difficult to enjoy sitting anywhere, only to have a smoker plop themselves down near you and light up. What an awful first place to stay for my first time in Brazil - it was a definite shock. Who cares if this place is close to the beach, it was nightmare trying to sleep here knowing its unclean/unsanitary and uncomfortable! Seriously, go stay someplace else - its worth the extra $$$.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank AmericanGeographer
Hello, AmericanGeographer,

Cleanliness and hygiene are paramount concerns for us. As Rio de Janeiro is a very humid city which compels us to be constantly making repairs, cleanning and replacing equipaments and furnitures.

Our installations, equipments, rooms and bathrooms are cleaning daily. Our shared bathrooms are cleaned 3 times a day, but one person is enough to not let in proper condition for the next. Our bed linen is washed with a professional laundry company every check-out and often we exchange those that are not in good condition, which certainly happened to this he described. Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated on a daily basis.

We have a cat that was adopted as a puppy to be Bonita Ipanema’s pet. Her name is Maya and she is very well treated: 3 in 3 months she is taken to the veterinary to take bath and consultation and is fed with one of the bests ration in market. Unfortunately, she is a bit temperamental and sympathizes only with a few people. = p

Anyways, we hope that your concerns have been cleared up,apologize for all the inconvenience and assure you that we are going to keep working hard to improve our services and provide a fully satisfactory carioca experience.

Manuela Miró