“Kennedy Couple - South Africa”
Review of Best Rio Hostel

Best Rio Hostel
Reviewed 4 July 2014

What an awful place. We paid the rate of a 4 star hotel. Our room had no windows. The place smells mouldy. Broken bedding. The staff was unhelpful. They even forgot to pick up my laundery, twice, and as my flight was the morning to Sao Paolo, I had to leave my clothing there. They actully wanted to charge me to send it to Sao Paolo. The nerve. DO NOT GO THERE !!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony or the rooms on the roof.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kennedy752014

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed at this hostel for 4 nights during carnaval, so it was at an extorcionate rate.
1. We had a room in The middle of The hostel. No Windows, really noisy. Doors of bathrooms don't close and The Shower has a glass window in The middle of The room, with a mirror opposite of it, so no privacy.
2. They charge you for everything extra, like keeping your bag for The day after check out, The wifi code.
3. When they turn The airconditioning off in The morning they wake you up by knocking on your door. The staff has to turn it off manually. The last day we found out that it's also possible to do this through The door, as we didn't open it after a carnaval night out.
4. The staff varied in friendliness, Some where ok, but others where so strickt to The crazy rules it was terrible.

I wouldn't recommand this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Rosaontour
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

One word describes this hostel - hell!
1. Kitchen is a rabbit warren that is approximately 6m2. There are no utensils and the pans they did have were at the bottom of the cupboard under the sink on the floor. Safe to say you could not cook there.
2. Electric wires were exposed - fan would turn itself off after 10 mins for 10 mins - my thoughts are it was over heating.
3. Aircon only from 10pm to 10am
4. The room we stayed in had ripped pillows that were black, mould on the walls, ripped mattresses which did not fit in the base properly.
5. Toilets had doors that slid closed but not secure, dirty and 4th world.
6. Showers were so tiny that my partner 6"4 could not fit in them.
7. Staff were rude, unprofessional, not helpful and a poor representation of Brazilian people.
8. We complained and made them give us a refund. We stayed in the lobby (more like a tiny little room that was smaller than my bathroom at home) and would not leave until they said they would do it. During this time the "manager" apparently could not be contacted but was standing right next to the guy who spoke English and was translating. After 3 hours he conceded she was the manager but stated he could not say that. The interesting thing was they were pretending to send emails to the manager. When questioned the hole they were digging got so deep they were caught out. My advice, do what we did - stay there and don't leave until they give you a refund.
There is more but I think you get the picture.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Delskid
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

If only I could describe the state of this place - dreadful!
In all my extensive travels, never have I stayed at a hostel like this!!!
Horrible!!!
1. Power cables exposed!
2. Ripped mattress
3. Mould in room
4. Pillows with holes and mould
5. Kitchen built for a dwarf with no clean utensils and snout utensils to cook.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We booked into this place, and got sold a tour of a carnival batteria practice party in one of the suburbs of Rio. Transfer and VIP area was promised by Best Rio Hostel. As soon as we got on the bus with other holiday makers, from other hostels in the surrounding area we were told that they had literally paid next to nothing to be taken to this event. The party was great, but we were definitely ripped off by the Best Rio Hostel, shame. Don't book anything through them! We got back to the hostel, packed our bags and left. Shocking room, shocking service, filthy, dirty and unwelcoming. We booked into a 4 star hotel just down the block... much better! Do yourselves a favor and don't stay there!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 55MK55
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I arrived about 10pm. The guy at the desk was so keen to shove me into the room and not have me hanging around the reception (where there is a table and wireless) that I had no choice but to leave, go upstairs, into a crapped room with 12 beds in it, mainly with people asleep in them with lights off already.
I preceded to get bitten to death by bugs, so much that i couldn't sleep a wink.
The toilets were disgusting and didn't have any DOORS that would slide completely shut!!! . You would go to the loo in the hope that nobody would walk down the main corridor at the same time and see you.
I can rough it but this was too much.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I’ve stayed in a decent number of hostels on my vacations, but this is maybe the worst. The staff is unfriendly and do not even take note of complains. We had a private room which was very expensive compared to the price. The mattress did not fit in the bed, the air conditioner is only working from 10pm to 10am (you have to ask the staff to switch it on; none if this is mentioned on the homepage). There are no real doors for the bathrooms in the whole hostel (only cheap doors to slide), there is no soap anywhere. The room was very loud and had a very small window with a lamp directly next to it, so that every time someone passes the whole room is illuminated by that light – very funny at night. In the six days we stayed the staff did not clean the room, change the sheets or even empty the garbage one time. The whole hostel was smelly, Wi-Fi is only available in the receptionist room and you have to pay 5 reals for it. The breakfast was not good, but not worse than in most of the hostels. The table for eating is a pool table and it is far away from clean. The only positive thing about this place is the location: it is approximately 15 mins (not 7 as in the description) by foot from the Copacabana beach. In conclusion: never ever again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple