“Nice and reliable hotel”

Novotel RJ Santos Dumont
Ranked #55 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“Nice and reliable hotel”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I likes the Novotel - it was clean and conveniently located to the old part of town. The area around it felt fairly safe. The front desk staff was helpful but the people who helped with getting cabs - not and since it's on a quiet side of the street, not many taxis come by. Breakfast was very nice. One thing I did not like was that although it was nonsmoking, some guest were smoking on our floor with their door open to the hallway. I did tell the front desk and it was resolved. Although some of our local contacts didn't think it was a fun area to be in, we found it nice that it was close to some interesting restaurants and the live music bars. I'd stay there again over being closer to the beaches.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Very well located, right in the heart of the big city of Rio and only 5 minutes form the local airport santos Dumont. Lots of options of taxis outside and a clean , neat and new hotel, with very good service

Room Tip: The ones higher are less noisy, specialy during the day
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 18 September 2013

When arriving at the hotel, the receptionist asked for documents for the whole family (me, my wife and 2 kids under 10). Unfortunately I forgot kids' papers at home, as hotels in Brazil usually don't ask for them. In about 10 years traveling in Brazil and abroad, it was the first time I was asked... But ok, my fault.
As I said I unfortunately didn't bring their documents, the lady at the desk simply said then, with the kids around, that they couldn't stay there with us and that I should find a way to get the papers. "It was all written in the fine prints". I explained there was no way to get the documents (in São Paulo), so I asked for an alternate solution. She simply said, then, I could go to the court house and ask for a warrant...
As kids were starting to get frightened with the idea of not having a place to stay (and I unfortunately had prepaid my booking, no refunds), I asked the lady to check in just the couple, so we could let the bags there and find another place for the children to stay (we have several friends in Rio). After a surly conversation, she let me in with the bags.
After finding a nice place for the kids, my wife came back to the hotel to refresh, just to learn that its room key no longer worked. As she went back to the front desk, the attendant asked again for the kids documents if she wanted the key fixed! She explained the kids were no longer staying in the hotel, just to be questioned "where were they then?"!!! Again, after some harsh talking, the keys were fixed.
Needless to say that all the next three time we came back to the hotel, the room keys were not working. It seems obvious there were instructions to the front desk staff to only fix the keys temporarily! They treated us as cheaters, just because they decide so!
Just as an information to someone else in this situation, after consulting a lawyer I discovered that a signed declaration of both parents, confirmed by the kids, should have been more than enough to comply with any existing regulation.

Room Tip: Take a room with the airport/bay view, 6th floor and above. Rooms are absolutely quiet, no airplane...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MCPSP2
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 26 August 2013

As all hotels in Rio, it is somewhat expensive for what it offers but its cost benefit is better than others. The food (room service) is actually good, although the snacks in the room are abusively expensive (15 reals for a very small pringles??). The gym is good (for a business trip or is important), breakfast also (and expensive). Given the lack of other choices, I will stay here again, but Im waiting for the Olympic games to finish so the prices can return to reasonable levels.

• Stayed August 2013
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Just perfect. Clean rooms, friendly staff and great breakfast. Unfortunately the area seems a bit dodgy. We didn’t walk there at all. We stay there one night before going to the International Airport.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked this hotel through my travel agent and was very satisfied by our choice. This hotel is located close to everywhere you want to be in Rio and in a safe location. The rooms were nice and clean and offer good space. Overall this is a good quality hotel in Rio that offers great value ! I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family