“A place to chill and make some friends”

Beach Backpackers Hostel Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Despite the hot weather which made the dorm room close to hell, the hostel is fine with great staff, great environment and a nice place to make friends and have a cold beer.

I can't imagine a better neighbor than this. Close to everything and just a couple of blocks from the metro.

When I come back to Rio, I know exactly where I'm gonna stay!

Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

I feel bad writing this review but I think other people should be made aware of what they are offering at this hostel. I can't comment on the dorms, they may be fine.

We arrived late at night and were shown the double room we had booked and were completely shocked. Unfortunately it was too late to leave. The room was tiny with no windows and the walls were covered with mould. It was extremely unhygienic.

We had to stay there (it was almost midnight when we arrived) but we left the next day. Apparently there was another double room without the mould but I never saw it.

Before we left, we had a shower and the shower ceiling was covered in mould and it smelled like urine. I had really had enough by that point.

We cant fault the staff, they were really good about it and ended up giving us the night for free except for the deposit we had paid on hostel bookers. They were also helpful when we needed to get to our new accommodation. You wonder why they were so keen to refund us, we offered to pay for 1 night just to get out of there. Perhaps they have had this reaction before?!

The common areas of the hostel also looked really nice. But that room was terrible, really awful.

I don't think it's fair to provide people with a room like that and expect them to pay R$150.

If you're looking for a private room I strongly advise you to look elsewhere. Check out the photos I have added and I think you will agree.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank blancogrande
Bernardo S, Owner at Beach Backpackers Hostel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear Customer,

I was in the Hostel at the moment you arrived and as you know we unfortunately had a problem with our reservations system and you were put by mistake in a twin room.

Myself, the owner, offered you this night for free even after changing the twin beds for a Double bed.

We were all very polite and we definetely do NOT deserve such a horrible review.

We agree the room had a little bit of mould because the house which is neighbours to ours had a problem with its water system. But please! we have two cleaners working all day every day to make sure every single area is cleaned properly.

This room was already renovated and the mould thing will not be a problem anymore.

Thank you for recognising that we did our best to accomodate you guys and we gave back the money you paid for that night and also the deposit paid to the website.

Such a misleading review!

Regards,

Beach Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 17 June 2012

I will definitely be back to Beach Backpackers! of all my travels, it was the friendliest and most helpful staff. the accommodations were clean and comfortable. there is a great 24 hour bar, with a happy hour every night, which provides a great way to meet other people. Some of the best people I met in South America were staying at this hostel. Very easy to get around by taxi or bus from here, and the metro is only 2 blocks away. The beach is a quick metro ride away and I was surprised as to how easy it was to get there! I highly recommend staying here. I stayed in other hostels in Ipanema before ending up here, and there was no comparison!

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room with private bath. affordable, and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The hostel was good. Average.
The room for 2 people is small. It has just two "beds", non a table, non a rack. I mean "bed" between quotation marks, b/c it was made with three mattresses one over the other one.

The staff is kind.
The best is Charlie, the dog.
Great location, far from the beach, but near from the Botafogo metro station.

Room Tip: a/c in all rooms shared bathrooms no swimming pool, no fitness center, anyway they are not neccesa...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank viajeros102009
beachbackpackers, Manager at Beach Backpackers Hostel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Dear Customer,

You got a promotional rate (Half of the current price) for a Standard twin room with air conditioning and all the facilities on offer, included in the price.

We have bigger rooms with 30 square meters ensuite but this type of room is only available for those willing to spend a little bit more than you did.

We are located 5 minutes walking distance to Botafogo beach, you can take a look on google maps. By metro you reach copacabana and/or ipanema beaches in a 3 minutes trip.

Regards,

Beach Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Had an amazing time there! Good, very clean and cheap. Nice breakfast included. The bathroom looks newly redone and it was always really clean.
Also, the hostel is between two large streets where you can get a lot of taxis and buses to everywhere in the city. Subway is close too.
Just make sure you get the bottom bed in the bunk, because the a/c is wrongly positioned and the top beds are waaaay hotter then the bottom ones.
The other non so great is the huge (and super friendly) dog named Charlie. Just because his was always trying to hump everyone... Maybe the owners should find him a girlfriend.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank GuilhermeClaro
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Great stay here!friendly staff!
clean,have cleaners clean EVERYDAY.
nice tv lounge,met great people we just drank in never went out met new friends to hang out and drink together so cool for meeting new people if travelling on own like me.,cheap beer and cocktails also soft drinks!served after 6pm(happy hour 7-8 2 drinks for 1)
soft drinks will be served all day.
good location also close to bus stop and metro both easy to use and CHEAP to get to other sites in the city.
was here 5 days was very sad to leave this hostel got to me had great times here!!!
oh be warned about Charlie!!the dog very friendly dog but sometimes to friendly always wants to play if a dog lover thats cool but may try to hump your leg!!!!he had a thing for me!everywhere I went he went!
if busy like if on your laptop(free wifi,also 2 computers free internet)and Charlie being a pain tell him to go away,if won't cos can not understand you you,the staff will here and call him.he is a funny but crazy dog!
have lockers just bring own padlock,by reception staff there 24 hours!so very safe!!
basic breakfast is inc 8am-10,good kitchen if wish to cook yourself,there is 2 super markets close what are so cheap!
STAY HERE WHEN IN RIO only place I will stay if come again you will love it!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Shanebartender
Reviewed 10 October 2011

cheap drinks, nice lounge room, people generally really nice and friend and it is very cheap but there are some downfalls the rooms are tiny with 6 bunkbeds and no lockers for your backpacks (i ended up keeping my backpack on my bed because there was no room) and the bathrooms experienced some issues that didn't get resolved immediately

the area is ok, some cheap places to eat nearby and much safer than Lapa and other areas, but no where near as nice as ipanema and leblon

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple