Hotel Vina Del Mar
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel RJ Santos Dumont(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$84
Novotel
  • Restaurant
US$248
  • Breakfast included
Transamerica Prime Barra(Rio de Janeiro)
US$58
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$111
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)
US$254
US$143
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$112
  • Breakfast included
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$127
  • Pool
Orla Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Atlantis Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$55
  • Breakfast included
Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$114
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We had a group of 9 stay here for the weekend. Nobody spoke english so checking in was a bit chaotic finding our reservations and who stayed in what room.

Our rooms were tiny but we didn't spend much time there. Nicely tiled bathroom.

Great location right near the painted steps of Lapa. For walking around late at night it was close to a lot of the weekend party things.

Basic but filling buffet breakfast and walking distance to many restaurants.

I even walked over nearby to a great Farmer's Market on Sunday morning

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We came for the carnival, and didnt get tickets so we did some street party instead, the place is next to the steps and arches of Lapa.

The room was clean. Breakfast was not the best but it was buffet. There was not many people from the staff that spoke english.

It was ok. I would come back.

1  Thank DonCesar
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel in October 2013. We selected this hotel because of price and other reviews. Here are our problems:

Breakfast: not enough room and very crowded space to get to the food. We complained to the waiter/staff for breakfast and he said there wasn't anything he could do about the cold eggs. We went to the front desk and talked to the manager. He had them send out enough eggs for 8 people. We only needed eggs for 2 people. The rest went to waste.

Checkout: they had one person during checkout, at about 9:00 am. There were four groups waiting to check out. The person doing the checkout was somewhat disorganized and couldn't manage to give us change for paper money when we tried to pay for some water we used from the frigobar. We told her to keep the change, which I"m sure she was happy to do.

On the Friday we arrived there was a lot of samba music on the road leading to the hotel. There was a lot of activity at the neighboring bars and restaurants. This was ok and the area seemed somewhat ok, but there were lot of homeless folks in the area that seemed to detract from the tranquility. However, this is part of the reality of the area. The next morning we went to see the Christ statue. When we returned, there were five police cars in the hotel parking area. I thought maybe there was a local police conference or something, but one of the waiters mentioned that there was a problem with the hotel in back of ours, which is above this hotel. Perhaps there was a homicide or jumper from the upper level and they were investigating the grounds of this hotel. Strange!

The bathroom: The shower was a space of about 36" square (very small). I designed bathrooms and kitchen in the past and there was plenty of room to make a fine shower space. The shower leaked and caused the floor to be wet around the shower, so we had to use some towels to sop up the mess. There was a constant water puddle around the toilet from a leaking valve on the upper wall. The toilet paper holder was broken. There was a piece of door molding that was dry-rotted at the base (very unsightly). There was no shelf around the sink to place your toiletries, so we used the bedet next to the toilet to hold things while we used the sink and mirror. Truly atrocious.

OK, so I go to the front desk for assistance and one of the women who heard my Portuguese the day before commented to the man who was trying to help me that "he can't speak any Portuguese" with a big laugh that was more condescending. I did put her in her place using my Portuguese and she shut up. I know good help is hard to find at lower wages, but there are good people available if they try harder.

To the hotels credit, they did upgrade the bedroom, but as I am a designer by trade (past), the layout was not good at all. They certainly did not consult a competent person to give advice. It was very cumbersome to get around in the main bedroom. The sheets were not fitted, so they came off during the night and exposed our bodies to the underlying mattress - yuck.

The view from the room was good, considering we were not in the best district (Lapa). We were on the 8th floor, which gave us a gander at the water afar off.

Since my daughter was visiting us here in Brazil and it was her first time here, she has a poor impression of Rio via this hotel. We will do much better next time.

Oh yes, they are remodeling the foyer, which looks like it will be nice. Sort of ugly now, but it will be better in a month or so.

Perhaps they will read this review and take action and maybe not. I hope this helps you though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce_and_Roseni
Reviewed 21 January 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This property was close to the hotel I stayed at during a previous trip to Rio. I was familiar with the neighborhood, which is definitely not for the kiddies and a bit intimidating but it is close to the metro, and LOTS of party places in the Lapa area. My room (607)was neat... the bathroom had a leak and the shower was not the prettiest, but it was perfect for rest and safe. Elevator worked. Hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was a nice selection of fruits, pastries and juices. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask about the room, and go inspect the room before you pay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo