“Only real way to experience the Rocinha favela”
Review of Favela Adventures

Favela Adventures
Ranked #100 of 475 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Only real way to experience the Rocinha favela”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Our tour with Dembore was a really cool experience. The favela experience they share with you is the only way you should do it. They are a great bunch of guys who truly love where they live. Their DJ school and investment in the community really drew us to go with them and we were glad we did. Cheers guys.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Must see in Rio”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I strongly recommend favela tour with these guys. They will fanatically tell you all the features of places where they live and will show the most picturesque places. The feeling of absolute safety didn't abandon us for a second. Thanx a lot our guide Eric!!!
P.s. Too much information about dj-school...

Kingston, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A must-do for Rio!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This tour provided a wealth of information about the favela. Our guide Dembore was insightful and very willing to accommodate the needs of our 3 year old child. Doing this tour with a toddler turned out to be no problem although I would recommend using a backpack (not a stroller!). I admired the tour company's dedication to their community. How fabulous to learn about the favela from people who actually live there!

Sydney, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“An insiders view of Rochinas”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Our friendly,enthusiastic guide Erik met us ,two Russian girls and me at an agreed Metro station and took us by public bus to the favela. It was a uplifting experience to see how the other half outside Ipanema and Copacabana live. Over the years these people who help provide the labour that keeps Rio functioning,have carved a life on the precarious slopes. Erik supplied interesting information of the dynamic of the favela between the Drug lords and the Police.There was no romanticism and we were told,there were many no go favelas too.The tour went well over its schedule of four hours and was considerably cheaper than the ones offered at the hotel.

1 Thank adam m
milano
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of the best experiences of my life”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

When I decided to visit Rio, I thought of taking a tour of the favela but, at the same time, I didn't want to offend the sensibilities of its inhabitants by taking part to one of those tours, where everyone behaves as if was in a zoo.
Browsing on the internet, I found "Favela Adventures" and I immediately felt that this was what I was looking for: the site promised to visit the favela in a simple and spontaneous way, avoiding as much as possible the classical "tourist" behavior. And...my expectations were fully met! Dembore, a really great guide and a resident of Rocinha, lead us through the labyrinthine streets of this "city within the city " and made us feel more like friends than like tourists.
Not only showed us different areas of the favela (the whole tour was strictly on foot, instead of on fancy vans, as touristic agencies do!), but he also told us every aspect of life in the favela, its history, the dreams of his inhabitants and answered every single question - and, believe me, we had a lot of them!!! At the end of the tour, which lasted about 4 hours (they flew! :( ) Dembore let​​us visit the "Spin Rocinha", a free DJ school created by him and by his partner Zezinho, in order to teach the children of the favela to become DJs. The tour ended with a good lunch in a local restaurant.
In a nutshell:
- I'd recommend "Favela Adventures " to anyone who, like me, really wants to get in touch with a reality which is maybe totally new but, at the same time, wonderful!
- I wouldn't recommend the tour to everyone who is in a rush (the tour is 4h and you're expected to take it easy and enjoy the experience) or to anyone who doesn't feel comfortable with armed police hanging around or with humble surroundings.
- Cost: 65reais -(if you're from a Euro or a dollar country, it's really cheap)
- Available languages: considering the mixed-origins of my group, Dembore explained everything both in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

So..." Rocinha " means not only armed police, shootings and poverty (as it is often portrayed), it is much more than that: the poor aspect of the buildings is magically replaced by the richness given by the breathtaking panoramas, by the intense looks of old people, by the smart children running here and there with backpacks on their shoulders taller than themselves, by passers-by who wish you "bom dia" even without knowing you.
It might sound weird and for sure it's difficult to explain by words, but the favela of Rocinha is my best memory in Rio!

Visited February 2014