“Good for a Walk, but dangerous!!!”
Review of Escadaria Selaron

Escadaria Selaron
Ranked #83 of 752 things to do in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The idea of the Selaron stairs is from an artist from Chile,the ideia is good and original.
The place is in the center of Rio de Janeiro,not in the south and good area(Leblon,Ipanema,Copacabana),
The area is surrounded by dirty and strange people,be careful!!!
Near by it is the Lapa,that one really good for nightlife!!!

2  Thank Pedro E
Write a ReviewReviews (8,184)
All reviews
in 75 reviews
"tribute"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 18 November 2013

There's probably been many mixed reviews of this unique attraction.
It's VERY CLOSE TO (not in) a locality that wouldn't be recommended for anyone not in an organised group.

It's a wonderful piece of what I assume to have been spontaneous artwork that grew and grew into a wonderfully coloured (but predominantly red) tiled pathway of about 50 wide steps forming a sort of alleyway.

We went with a guide and while there was no sense of concern while there it was only about 30-40m away that we went through some backstreets in order to continue through Lapa. I must confess that it was a bit disconcerting when a woman ran down the opposite side of the road shouting and our guide explained that she was clearly on drugs.
However, I should say that while we looked out of place no-one looked hostile and only a few words were spoken between our guide and the locals.
100m down the street and we were on the road heading to the cathedral, so as I said earlier don't be afraid to visit the steps but be sensible before or after (depending on the route you are taking).

In think it would be a shame to miss this if you are in the vicinity.

1  Thank WhiteRocke
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I wouldn't say this is 'the best' in Rio, but definitely worth the trip. We went with a tour guide and our journey to this place was very thrilling. They drove through the favela of Santa teresa and the path was so rugged , narrow and sliding. This place is filled with bright colored tiles depicting various places and cultures and I loved it.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

My friend and I went to see the Escadaria Selaron at about 2pm in the afternoon and when we got to the top of the steps we were mugged at gun point by two men who got out of a car taking all our possesions. We were left with nothing (our phone, money, keys & camera were all taken) and the police at the bottom of the steps were useless. About 5 hours later we managed to get to the tourist police in Ipanema who were as helpful as they could be. The Escadaria Selaron is a place which I would say would be a shame to miss if you are really keen to see it BUT I would advise just taking the minium possesions you have on you when you visit and definitely go on a tour as Lapa is incredibly dangerous for tourists.

10  Thank RCW136