“Hot and disgusting”

Ocean Inn Rio Leblon
Miami, Florida
“Hot and disgusting”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

They are currently repairing this hostel. Even if it were remodeled I don't see how it can improve. It is filthy, hot, and it felt like I was staying in the favela. I have never sweated so much in my life. The couches have holes and are old. Chairs are broken, etc. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Krisa555

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in late November 2011.
Our double room was at the back of the compound facing the sea which provided a view and nice quietude. Room was small and ensuite bathroom was really tiny. Bathroom door was slightly filmsy as it suddenly came off during our stay, but we managed to fix it back through little effort. The staff here are a party bunch, and they would offer to take you with them for a late night out. Breakfast was basic with coffee / tea and toast with ham or something. In sum, this was probably the priciest hostel I've ever stayed in.
Location is not in Leblon, but wasn't a big issue for us. Stone's throw from the Vidigal favella and is very safe - police presence from the UPP was already felt and seen. We regularly got our groceries from the shops there, and it was also the place where we alighted whenever we took the mini street van or the public bus. One evening, a very sweet motherly local lady alighted at the entrance of Vidigal favella as we did. As soon as we all were off the van and on the street, she came up to us with her teenage daughters and asked with great concern if we were lost. We were so touched by her kindness and quickly reassured her that we are fine and that our hostel was nearby. How sweet is that?!
Just fyi, staying near a favella has other pros too. For instance, we got really lucky one night - as we were sitting outside our room chilling with some beer and chitchat, we heard some pretty loud "thump, thump, thump…" from a distance, and it seemed to be coming from Vidigal. Immediately, we grabbed our beer and cameras, and made a dash towards it. To our good fortune, there was a sambal drumming session right in the public arena in front of the favela, and the lively community turned up to support, celebrate, dance, and party along. It was so great. so infectious; luved it!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I wish I had read all the others reviews before I booked this at the last minute!

First of all, it is NOT in Leblon. Our cab driver could not find it. A half block past it is an entrance to a favela, so getting lost is a problem! The entrance is one dark door, unlit. When we arrived, we had to wait for someone to get to the desk and acknowledge us. He had no record of our booking. The credit card machine was 'broken' and wouldn't be fixed by the time were were leaving, so we needed to get cash for him. The guy disappeared for 15 minutes, saying the guy who cleans didn't show up today (I'm not convinced he shows up any day).

The common areas are an absolute mess. The room was even worse. Mold, mold, and more mold. Wall and ceiling. It would be so easy to clean, if only someone cared. I didn't even want to lean my bag against the wall. The sheets were old and had stains. Who knows if he even changed them in the time he disappeared. We used our own pillowcases and slept in our clothes.

The whole place was strange and sketchy. No one was friendly. This place does not deserve to be in business.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michy47

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I've been to many hostels in Rio De Janeiro and in Brazil but Ocean Inn is absolutely the worst one I've been to. Both Ocean Inn Botafogo and Ocean inn Leblon are owned by the same people. All services are extremely bad the breakfast is The Worst ( it's cookies and punch or colored water) and they even decided to stop breakfast altogether to save money. The pictures displayed online is a bold face lie the place looks nothing like that, it's fake advertising, many of the rooms have no windows they are like "CRAMMED VAULTS" YOU ARE PACKED IN LIKE ANIMALS WHEN ITS CROWDED,with little space for your bags,the air conditioner is turned off in the day so no air circulation in that smelly crammed vault all this so they can maximize profits. Lots of stuff there are broken but they fail to fix or repair simple things for long periods, the place is not often clean, they often run out of toilet paper not replacing it unless you ask, they even sometimes run out of water.There is no interest in client comfort it's all about greed. OCEAN IN RIO DE JANEIRO IS THE WORST HOSTEL I've been to anywhere.
Best Advice "Don't Go There"

Room Tip: GO Somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gordon D
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We decided to drive to Rio because OceanInn staff assured us they had parking. When we got there they said somebody crashed their car in the driveway and we would not be able to park there, by the way parking was a 2 car dirty, no safety garage.
They said they had "an agreement" with nearby Sheraton staff and we would be able to park our car there for 30 reais a day and come and go as we needed. We found that strange but ok. Of course nobody at Sheraton knew who they were and we would have to pay 30 reais everytime we used the car.
The owners and one of staff kept lying and trying to bully us into accepting the situation.
The rooms were very small and dirty, the three people bunk bed very unstable. Bathrooms were ok but not as clean as I would like and common areas were also messy and dirty.
One night half hostel was out of light. It should be easy, just find the fuse box and reset the circuit breaker, right? I am a girl and I know that! They kept lying and saying it was the Eletric Company fault...until somebody remembered the owner were the new fuse box was.
I am not pick and know if you decide to stay at a hostel you cannot ask for a 5 star hotel service but what made me so mad was the lies. The owners and one of the staff lied every time something went wrong instead of trying to fix it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Verezita
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 27 January 2012

If you like parties, then this is a good place. The staff is also nice and friendly, but it is simply not worth the money. I like to party, but I also like a decent level of cleanliness. The common room was generally a big mess, and very small, as is the hostel. There is an okay terrace, but that is about the only thing the hostel really has going for it. The location is awaz from the beach and Leblon... its very easy to catch a minibus into town, but I would recommend anybody to just find a hostel located on the streets behind the actual beach or more towards Lapa which is where the samba bars are. It was new years so the hostel was completely overpriced... I have never paid so much for so little.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank KimboJones
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 January 2012

There are too many things wrong with this hostel. I left on day 1 when I had a 5 day reservation.
1. It is Not in Leblon. It is a 20min walk to the beach.
2. Common area is dirty.
3. Entrance stinks.
4. Service of the staff SUCKS. There are few of them but they do not do anything.
5. TOO expensive for the crappy room.
Seriously, there are so many better hostels or hotels in Rio. Do not waste your time here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
#289 of 765 in Rio de Janeiro
Ipanema Beach Hostel
Ipanema Beach Hostel
#19 of 765 in Rio de Janeiro

Been to Ocean Inn Rio Leblon? Share your experiences!