my wife and i stayed here during carnival because it was a million times cheaper than staying in downtown Rio and it did not have any annoying 7 minimum night stay like most of the other hotels and hostels we looked at. although this is also an hourly motel, there were plenty of other tourists staying there for multiple nights for carnival, but we were the only people at the Madeireira Carnaval block party (it was soooo cool if you like alternative travel and meeting locals).
* WiFi had strong signal in our room and had repeaters on each floor.
* breakfast was simple but all you can eat ham/cheese/rolls/fruit smoothies/coffee/milk and sometimes fresh fruit (we stayed 4 nights)
* staff is friendly
* aircon worked
* close to a train station stop (Madeireira)
* close to many busses, including the 355 which goes through Central Station and the long distance bus station (Rodoviária)
* on the same block as a samba school
* free porn channels!
* mirrors on the wall and the ceiling :)
* only one (and a half) staff spoke english, but what can you expect for being out in the suburbs.
* aircon was an old model with manual switches that were removed, so couldn't adjust temperature
* mattress and pillow had a plastic covering under the sheets so it was a bit uncomfortable since i get hot when i sleep
* neighborhood is not for the faint of heart
* i emailed the hotel for directions via public transport and they were really bad... we walked around for ages looking for it. so i'm adding a picture and some details to make it easier for potential visitors:
1. from Rodoviária: get on the 355 towards Madeireira, the terminus of this bus is at Madeireira Shopping mall and the motel is only down the street.
2. from Madeireira Train station: look for platform 3E, you should see a funny happy star on a building behind platform 3E with the words "Ki-Lojao" . walk out of the exit that goes over platform 3E and then turn hard left on that street and walk parallel to the tracks towards the hotel. you can actually see Motel Caricia in my picture. if you go out of the train station and you see the bus terminal, that is the wrong side.
3. from the Airport: take the 922 (towards Tubiacanga), Get off at Aviation Hall (ask info center at the airport what this is called in portugese). walk across the street and take the 910 (towards BANANAL / MADUREIRA SHOPPING). the terminus of this bus is at the Madeireira Train station listed in #1, so go up and over the tracks and follow directions in #2.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Caricia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Caricia Rio De Janeiro, Brazil