“Of my there favela tours, this one was the most average!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #135 of 446 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Of my there favela tours, this one was the most average!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

+Extensive tour of the favelas
+The bike ride is a totally awesome experience
+Assistant guide Obe was excellent
+Both Obe and Ricardo spoke excellent english.
-Our guide Ricardo was redundant in his explanations, contradicted himself, spoke more about his family which was irrelevant to the bigger picture
-We did not get to actually see a home in the favela
-The pacification process was poorly explained and left most confused
-On my prior trips to Rio the favela tours explained life thought a social and economic system of the favelas. This was missing in the tour

Overall a confusing, disjointed experience with lots of redundancies and contradictions.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank ComeFlyWithMe007

Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome tour of Rochina favela”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Rodrigo is an awesome tour guide. Very personal met his mother and friend, and even got to see inside their homes. Rodrigo makes you feel at ease and answers all of the questions you have honestly. Rodrigo is passionate about his home, and that comes across on the tour. The local people are very friendly, and wanted to shake my hand and say hello.
The tour has spectacular views, the local children danced samba for us. We even got to try some local delicacies acai berry shakes etc
It was an experience like no other, and a true insight into the favela life. Definitely recommend this tour. One of the highlights of my time in Rio

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Lucy S
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent favela trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went on a cold and rainy day on this favela tour through Rocinha, and despite the weather and lack of views still had a fantastic time. Rodrigo was a lovely guide and managed to include everyone in a larger than usual group (about 20). Learnt a lot about the issues surrounding pacification, gentrification and the lack of opportunities for people in the favela but also about the way of life and how despite these issues community spirit is still strong. Also learnt a bit about Rodrigo himself who is moving to the US, so from July on the tours will be run by his friend Obertan and his brother. Highly highly recommended.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Amrita V
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Favela Tour!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

My bf and I went to Rio for Carnival 2014 where we met a German guy who recommended this tour. It's super affordable in comparison to the other tours and worth every penny! The money goes towards the Favela and stays in the Favela which I love! Rodrigo grew up in Rocinha and gives a real insight into what favela life is really like. The tour starts out with us taking the Favela bus and then the Favela motorbikes which specifically services Rocinha. He then takes you around the main parts before ducking down into the alleyways where you spend the rest of the tour really exploring the area. There were no other tour groups in sight and we were able to see every inch of the favela. We even got to meet Rodrigo's grandmother and friends! Rodrigo really embraces all of his clients and treats us all as friends. I actually felt safer in the favela with Rodrigo than I did on the streets of inpanema. He really wants to share his life with you. We were so enthralled with the whole experience that we lost track of time and the tour lasted longer than planned, but never did Rodrigo rush us or even hint to the fact that we had gone past our tour time. He went at our pace, answered all of our questions and even showed us his home. He is a truly genuine, amazing person and I suggest everyone take this tour. It'll be the best thing you ever do! 3 months later and it's still the thing we rave about to our friends when they ask us about our trip to Brazil.

1 Thank Van N
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Real Flavela”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My title says it all - this is the real deal. Rodrigo is from the flavela and he shows you a very intimate view into life here. The most amazing part of the tour is that Rodrigo never treats his guests like tourists. He really makes it feel like you're hanging out with an old friend. You will not be disappointed on his tour. I highly recommend seeing Rodrigo and taking his tour when in Rio - a truly remarkable experience.

Visited March 2014