“Very Good Hotel in Great Location”

Miramar Hotel by Windsor
Ranked #2 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florida
“Very Good Hotel in Great Location”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Only stayed one night but wish it could have been longer. Hotel is either new or newly refurbished. Facilities maintenance and cleanliness is very good. Lobby area is very nice - with complimentary champagne offered upon arrival. Buffet breakfast was very good with lots of choice. Room was very nice - very comfortable and good amenities. Bathroom was a little smaller than expected - some extra counter space, or at least a shelf under the vanity would have been helpful. The in-room internet was very reliable and very fast - thank you Miramar IT Department!!!

On the whole, all the staff were friendly and helpful, in particularly the bellmen - they were really great :) However, one of the Front Desk agents gave us some information which was either incorrect or misleading. Firstly it was to do with the shower facilities by the rooftop pool. As I had a very late flight out of Rio, but had to check out at midday, I was intending to spend the afternoon by the pool before leaving for the airport. So I asked about showering and changing facilities by the pool. He said there was a shower and restrooms up there, so yes, I would be able to do that. Well yes, there is a shower ..... but it isn't a private cubicle, there is no door and the glass around it is clear. As it's right by the exercise room and sauna, you would have no privacy whatsoever. I ended up having to get cleaned up and change in the restroom (one room) which was probably inconvenient for anyone else wanting to use the facilities during that time. Secondly, my friend asked about taxi fare to the local airport (SDU). We said SDU twice, but he kept telling us about a special deal from the international airport. Kept telling us that we had to go to the counter in the airport to buy the ticket first to get the special deal. Evidently he wasn't listening as we repeated, not the international airport, we mean SDU. And even so, why waste our time telling us about a special deal from GIG to the hotel when we were already in the hotel. Once he understood we were talking about SDU, he then worried her by telling her that her flight to Sao Paulo would land at a different terminal and she would need to take a shuttle to the international terminal in SP. Which turned out not to be the case - all she had to go was go up one level and walk 5 mins to the check in desk.

My only other observation is that all hotels I've been to in South America seem to combine the Front Desk with Concierge Desk, which can make for a very long wait to talk to someone if all the staff are tied up with Concierge questions.

But on the whole, this is a great hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pink_Passport
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Pink_Passport,

We would like to thank you for choosing and recommending the Miramar Hotel by Windsor.
We are really glad to know that our service, room, breakfast and free wifi internet connection were up to your expectations!
Please, apologize us for the inconvenience we caused with the informations at the Front Desk - I will talk to our staff in order to this kind of things do not happen again.
I wish you can come here once more and stay much longer next time. It will be a pleasure to see you soon!

General Manager in Charge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My son and I stayed here for four nights and really enjoyed it. This hotel absolutely deserves it's #1 rating since it has all excellent qualities. The staff is fantastic and so attentive to your needs right from check-in and all thru your stay. i want to say a very special thank you to Concierge - David Dassatti - who went out of his way to help us plan a visit to Corcovado when all arranged tours were booked. Thanks to him we were able to travel around Rio safely and confidently.

The breakfast is magnificent with an enormous selection of items - pretty much anything you might wish for and they will even cook your eggs to order. The restaurant staff is also so professional.

The roof top pool has a beautiful view of the entire Copacabana beach and the water temperature of the pool is just perfect for a relaxing swim.

The location is also very convenient since it's more towards the southern end of Copacabana, we were able to easily walk to Ipanema beach as well.

Many street vendors open stalls in the middle island of Av. Atlantica just opposite the hotel and you can find some bargains here each evening.

Room Tip: Get a room on as high a floor as possible and towards the beach end of the hotel for the best views...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Mr. Kevin M,

We are very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel!
Your compliments were transmitted to David - Concierge/Front Desk - and he was very excited about it! We will also be informing all the Miramar team about your positive observations to motivate them even further.
We are still glad that you were pleased with the pool on the roof top, the breakfast and, of course, our attentive staff.
We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your son again very soon!

Warm regards from Rio,

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This **could be** a superb hotel, the location is excellent if you ignore all the hysteria about Copacabana (I was there 3 days and never saw any drama), and the rooms are terrific, with that in mind I'll cover the good points first.

- Lovely lobby area with swift check-in (even though I arrived well before check-in time)
- Nice welcome drink on arrival
- Decent sized room with new furniture and amenities
- Awesome bathroom with L'Occitane toiletries (very good)
- Delicious breakfast with cooked to order eggs and fresh coffee
- Very comfortable beds with excellent clean linens
- The most spectacular rooftop pool with stunning views
- Food is very good (I read someone else complain about it, I had 2 bar meals and other than the fries being dry the food was good)
- Outstanding cocktails on the roof, their caipirinha's especially good
- Wifi is free and unlike most others in Brazil actually WORKS!

Alas, whilst the above makes me smile when I think about the hotel, the GM really needs to get the staff trained, all this wonderful facility and disinterested, inattentive and lazy staff has an impact on the stay.

3 examples:
1) I went to ask for a private tour whilst at reception and even though there was no one checking in and plenty of staff at the other side of the counter, I waited and waited and waited with no one making eye-contact until I had to ask if someone would help. Then the lady who did offer to help took over a day-and-a-half to give me the answer about the cost of the private tour - by which time I'd been on and paid for one! Thankful for that free wifi!
2) The service at that amazing pool was dire on my first day. Wasn't offered a seat, a towel or a drink in the 4 hours I was there, had to keep going to the bar to ask and ask and ask for everything in spite of there being servers there. (Was a local beach holiday on my first day there) The second day there was an improvement, but way too long doing 'the meerkat' look hoping someone will notice, hotel is losing significant revenue up there as I noted a lot of empty glasses, meant to be relaxing and enjoying not compensating for poor training and service by always having to look around for a refill.
3) Went for drink at downstairs bar which is in full view of reception area, no barman - waited - and waited - and waited, then as we left I asked why they had no barman only for the reception guy to ring the phone....which was located at the bar with no barman! Bizarre, we drank somewhere else, more revenue lost to the hotel and importantly, a level of poor-service consistency which is evident throughout the building. GM really needs to get a better trainer in to motivate the staff, and more incentive for them to reward their guests.

It is not all doom and gloom, they were very helpful in getting me a car/driver to go to the airport, and especially helpful in locating my mobile phone which I'd left in the back of the car when being dropped off at said airport, the person who took my call was more than helpful, so there are people in the hotel who know how to offer service, just not enough of them, or simply not enough key managers ensuring that quality of service is being delivered.

Whilst I've scored it as 'Average' I would say in fact it was 'Good' but Tripadvisor don't have a rating for good (isn't that just stupid) and I am not marking it as "very good".

I would return for that wonderful rooftop pool, but maybe take my own towel and hip-flask with me!

Room Tip: I'd pay more for a sea-view room as you can never tire of that view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank monaco7
Dear Monaco7,

I would like to thank you for the time dedicated to this evaluation and to criticize your stay at the Miramar Hotel by Windsor.
I am particularly glad that you have enjoyed the courtesy high speed wifi throughout the hotel, as well as the rooms, the bathrooms' amenities, the breakfast, the food and the drinks, specially our "caipirinha".
Unfortunately, our services were not up to your expectations and I am truly disappointed that we were not able to satisfy all your needs. And our guests' needs are our priority and for that reason I assure you that your impressions will be considered for immediately improvements in our services. You can be sure that your words will be shown to our staff in order to avoid the same cold treatment in the future. This is not our standard behavior and I am really sorry that you have left with this impression.
Thanks again for your comments and, in spite of everything, we hope to welcome you again in our city when, surely, we will present you our real standard of service.

Padua, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,091 helpful votes
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have been here two times, the last one for a 2/nights stay with the family (2 adults + 2 children): our experience was confirmed on a much higher quality level than all our possible expectations could be.
MIRAMAR HTL is perfectly located in front of Copacapana and with spectacular views on the ocean.
The hotel is modernly renovated with excellent and luxurious furnishings; we received a really large and clean room, with all we might desire for a complete relax and convenience. Impressive roof garden with a fantastic pool to make fun all the family...
With no doubt, the breakfast was 'wow': we found every kind of fruits, cheeses, cakes, beverages and whatsoever else in English and Continental style as well for a pleasant day beginning (together with a glass of champagne...!!).
Fast check/in-out. Friendly, helpful and efficient service at concierge, reception and restaurant.
Excellent price for value.
Certainly it's among the most memorable hotels where we ever stayed...

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank gio1962car
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear gio1962car,

After read your comments about Miramar hotel by Windsor we just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the lovely words!
Your report is a real reward for all our efforts in order to make your stay as pleasant as it can be - it seems we got it!
All the things we do, are done exclusively by the only one reason we have: the satisfaction of our guests. So, in the name of all our staff we would like to express our gratitude for your comments at Trip Advisor.
We all look forward to welcome you again on your next visit to Rio.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

we have travelled to many many countries, and experienced many hotels, the Miramar is equal to any 5* we have stayed in, The staff were so helpful, polite, and friendly from the bell boys, reception, drivers ,porters, waiters and chamber maids, 10 out of 10 for service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants good service and a prime position on Copacabana beach. thank you Miramar!!

Room Tip: superior room on 1st floor with partial sea view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Debbiedonna,

We are really proud that your overall impression was excellent.
Thank you for your choice to use our services and in order to achieve this aim, it is always important to know your opinion on it.
Also, I would like to thank you for your lovely comment about our staff. We will be informing all of them of your positive observations to motivate them even further.
We all look forward to welcome you again on your next visit to Rio.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any request.

My kindest regards,

Southport, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I enjoyed four nights here recently and was very impressed by this hotel.
Unfortunately, there was one downside in the room we were allocated, as it was located directly under the pool and roof top restaurant. This created a lot of noise from the dragging of pool furniture late at night and first thing of a morning when the waiters were replacing the tables and chairs. Otherwise the room was excellent. The service from the moment we set foot in the hotel was first class, the breakfasts were beautiful and the location was good right opposite the beach at Copacabana. Highly recommended, but don't take a room on the fifteenth floor.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Pastry71,

Thank you for posting your good reviews about our location, breakfast and service.
Firstly we were extremely concerned to read of your disappointing comments about the noise from the roof and we apologize most sincerely for the inconvenience you may have had. We have already instructed our staff not to act this way anymore.
Thanks once more for your comments and we hope to host you again in a near future.

With best regards,

Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Excellent modern hotel in a great location ; the staff were all helpful to a fault , the breakfast spread was superb and the room was comfortable modern and clean

There really was nothing at all to fault even to the point , to answer a previous review , where the staff twice trawled local streets to find us a taxi when none was available outside

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 322aicwhu322,

In the name of all our staff I would like to express our gratitude for your comments at Trip Advisor. We are really glad to hear that our team was helpful and assisted you during your stay. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Best regards,