“Best and Worst”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mount Vernon, New York
“Best and Worst”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The average rating is a bit misleading because there are many very good things about this hotel but also a lot of very bad things.

I came to the hotel for New Years Eve and some vacation time. I was met with a glass of champagne and the service wanted to be very helpful. They let me know there was an electrical adapter in my room and showed me where it was (which was helpful as my Ipad was dying), and I put it to immediate use before I went out to check the property. When I returned after an hour, I realized the adaptor was not functioning, I asked to the desk to provide another, as I went out for a long walk and dinner. The desk assured me they would put a new one in my room. When I returned there was no adapter in the room. I went down to the front desk. They explained that they had no more adapters and that nothing was now opened at this hour. If they had told me when I first went to the desk that they had none, I would have gone then and there to purchase one. Having spent nearly $2000 for New Year´s Eve alone, I was less than pleased. After letting the desk know of my displeasure in no uncertain terms, they were miraculously able to find a functional adapter. One should never have to raise one´s voice to get good service. Of course, once I had a charge on my iPad, I discovered the wifi service. To say that it does not favorable compare to dial up service is an insult to dial up service. Wifi was painfully slow to nonexistent. I recently spent 2 nights at a cut-rate hotel in Arpordor and could stream a movie on Netflix with their Wifi. Here was a so called luxury hotel and I could not download a New York Times in less than a few minutes. No business traveller should EVER EVER EVER stay here if relying on wifi. The wifi is just about useless (I am writing this review from the business center). If one wants to have a vacation free of Facebook, magazine and newspaper downloads then maybe this is the place to be unplugged.

Then there is little things. The king size bed only had one nighttable. This would have been fine if I were travelling alone but as there were two of us it was odd. Also the bed was miscentered on the headboard which made me think that the intent was to have two tables and one was missing.

That all said, the pool área is lovely. The caipiranha is delicious (although expensive). The beach service is excelent. But still caveats: beach chairs and umbrellas run out quickly and the pool área fills up quickly as well. The room and bathroom were kept very clean by housecleaning. The location is great as it is an easy trip to Ipanema (which is a nicer beach than Copacabana).

I have said at other luxury hotels in the U.S., México, South América and Europe and sadly this does not compete with the best of them.

Room Tip: A ocean view room is probably not a necessity unless spending a lot of time in room. The pool área...
1 Thank VernonTraveller
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Mr "Vernon Traveller",

First of all "Thank you for your complaints and praises". They really help us to identify our failures and improve other actions. About your complaints I had already talked with all my staff and I am sure that it will not happen again. In the WI FI service we had two speeds (one is free) but at New Years Eve we had problems with the supplyer that´s why you said It was slow. Maybe you are right when you say that you can't compare our hotel with other luxury hotels you were in the whole world. We supposed they were openned a long time ago. We just openned but we really try to do the best for our guests and everyday we are learning how to do the best of the best in the next day. And guests like you are helping us to learn how to be better. I am sure that in the future we will get this position also with you.
Once more "Thanks again to open our eyes to our failures". We hope to see you again.
Have a nice New Year!
William F. Rodrigues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Great location, friendly staff, and an excellent roof top pool with panoramic views of Copacabana. Pool area not big but didn't seem crowded. Clean rooms and nice touches like champagne on arrival. Felt like value for money. Breakfast choice also very good and eggs cooked to order!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Mr Paul,

Thank you very much for your comments. Certainly they will help us to continue to do the best for our guests. It was a great pleasure to have you in our hotel. We hope to see you soon.
Best Regards,
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Best hotel, best service! I loved it here. 1. They welcome you with champagne at whatever hour you may arrive. 2. The staff is wonderful, plentiful and always had a smile on their faces. 3. The pool is gorgeous, slightly small, but we were able to get chairs at whatever times we went. 4. Room is comfortable and quiet( minus occasionally hearing the chairs moving from the room overhead). 5. Good location in copa close to ipanema beach and easy to walk to arpoador to watch the sunsets. 6. The buffet breakfast is wonderful, and includes champagne. Frest fruit and an egg station....was great! Our friends told us to stay in ipanema or Lebanon because its nicer , which I agree with,it is nicer, but I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I was going back to rio soon. The hotel has been recently remodeled and is clean and aesthetically pleasing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Mrs Mindy G,

In the last day of this year it's very rewarding when we read comments like yours about our hotel and services. Since we reopenned our hotel (last may) our ideal is "make our guests pleasant with our services" and your kindly words say that we are in the right direction. Thanks again!
HAVE A NICE NEW YEAR!
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We travelled to Rio in December and stayed at the Miramar Hotel by Windsor, It was the greatest choice we could have ever made! Not only the staff was magnificent and very polite, but the accomodation, location, breakfast and the hotel's amenities were flawless, just fantastic!

The hotel is very well located, just across the beach and within a few minutes -by foot- from the city center, as well as from a wide range of stores and cafes.

The breakfast and the gastronomic experience were, as well, amazing, sometimes not even having stepped out of the hotel, searching for a place to eat.

Overall, the hotel and staff were really fantastic.We felt like royalty! I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Rio and we will definitely come back and stay at the Miramar the next time we are around.

Keep up the good work!

Dear Mrs Juliet,

First of all ... Thank you..Thank you..and Thank you for your kindly words about our hotel. My Staff and I are very pride of our jobs. We always feel happy when we see that our guests are happy too. Have a NICE NEW YEAR! We hope to see you soon.
Boston, MA
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is just fabulous! I spent a lot of time researching a luxurious, clean, modern hotel in a great location. Miramar was exactly that!
I can't say enough good things about the staff at this hotel! They are at or above the standards of the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons chains. I was more impressed every day.
Rooms: Small, but adequate. Comfortable king size bed, large tv, desk area. Nice bathroom with large shower.
Rooftop: This may be one of the best views in Rio. Medium size infinity pool with gorgeous views of Copacabana. Good drinks and food. Great place to watch the sunset.
Location: This location is perfect. I wanted to stay close to Ipanema and this hotel is right near the corner where Copacabana and Ipanema meet. Easy walk either along Copa or over to Ipanema.
Breakfast buffet was absolutely amazing! Not to be missed.
Location is perfect, staff is some of the best I have experienced. Best place to stay in Rio.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Mr DMD 10,

Thank you very much for your nice words about our hotel and my staff. They really make me very pride to be the manager of this hotel. My staff and I really like to do our job. We love to work with people. and to make you and all of our guests pleased is one of our ideals.
We hope to see you soon!
Riedisheim, France
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I spent some days there recently at the beginning of the Rio spring, although I am not sure a clear division en seasons is valid there. By the way the hotel was almost perfect. The location just in front of the Copacabana beach ; close to other hotels where in my case I had some professional meetings. The quarter is calm in the front-sea as well as in the back where is possible to find many shops and restaurants. The staff was great I was welcomed with a cup of champagne and everything from the arrival to my departure was almost perfect. I had a flight to visit another south-american country and the hotel accepted to give me a great breakfast opening the restaurant only for me. It was so kind of the staff. I will always appreciate this.
My room was large as well as my bed, everything clean and modern. I spent some time in the outdoor pool and the view of Copacabana, Pao d'azucar and other areas was amazing. The bar service there was very good. But for me most important was the high-quality and friendly staff.
I regret I could not attend a football game in the Maracana stadium they proposed me !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
William R, Gerente at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Mr Mario O,

Although we had already spent the Christmas Day we continue receiving gifts from our guests. Your wonderful words about our hotel & services is great gift to us. Thanks to be our guest, Thanks for your comments, and we are waiting for you in a next future.
Minnesota
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I decided to book at the Miramar due to the reviews I read on TripAdvisor, and once again, I was not disappointed. From walking into the door to waving goodby to the desk staff, the visit was PERFECTION. I was shocked to realize that we ate every meal in the hotel, the restaurant was THAT good. The breakfasts are heavenly (included in the room rate). Do not miss the rooftop infinity pool and bar. What an amazing way to spend an afternoon!

The most memorable part of the visit, aside from the astounding location on the Copacabana Beach, was the staff. Every person we encountered was friendly and most willing to help in ANY way they could! David at the front desk and Eldinado in the restaurant are just two of the staff who were quite wonderful. Need a car? No problem, a private car and driver appear in 10 minutes. Suggestions as to how to see the city, the front desk is the place to go. Truly, they made our stay in their vibrant, exciting city, a joy. Yet the Miramar also managed to impart a feeling of calm and safety amidst the bustle.

Most all staff have a functional mastery of English. The desk personnel are fluent. The menus and all printed material have an English translation, which was much appreciated.

In every review, I try to add some negative comments as well, in order to be as fair as I can. It took me a long time to come up with any for the Miramar.....finally, I remembered that in the middle of the night one night a guest in a room somewhere adjacent to ours began to move the furniture around (??!) and it was audible on the wooden floor. Other than that, we experienced dead silence, even though our room overlooked the bustling Avenida Atlantica and the beach.

Which reminds me, the rooms are chic, modern, and spotless.

If I return to Rio, I wouldn't even consider another hotel.

By the way, I believe the best staff in the Eastern Hemisphere are at the Taj Hotel, Bangalore. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in 1101. What a view!!! ANY question will be eagerly answered by the front desk staff. The...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Mr Karph,
What can I say? Just say "Thank You"!", Is It enough? I'm sure that it is not. Your kindly words about our hotel made us very pride of our job. When one of our guests say that he is very happy with us it means that we are achieving our ideal. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to see you soon.