“Best non Concierge service ever :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Miramar Hotel by Windsor
Ranked #3 of 280 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Best non Concierge service ever :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Right in front of lifeguard tower 5 I arrived to be greeted by the friendliest bell captain, Manoel spritely handled my bags and after a refreshing champagne drenched check in, he led me to my room which had a small view of the beach and proceeded to show me the amenities. In Rio I'd expected any bell hop to hang back for a tip but as soon as my last question was answered, he bounded out, and shut the door. (he didn't expect a tip, my first surprise)

The room had everything a 5 star chain would have, except that tissue box, the one I'd always bring out of the bathroom into the bedside counter. The bar on 16th was unimpressive, but the infinity pool and overlooking view of the beach was exhilarating!

There wasn't any global hotel chains, here so I took Visa's Luxury Hotel Collection as a guide and cross checked TripAdvisor before making this booking. At the high end, I never expected to find a card with a message to practice safe sex and that condoms were available from the front desk :) but then again it's prolly Rio!

When I went out for a stroll along the beach (temp 20C), Manoel gave me safety tips before I left.

I badly needed a massage without happy endings, after 8hrs in cramped economy from MIA-GIG but it was 11pm, so I called for the concierge, as a 5 star would have one and Marlon answered (I later found out he hadn't his cles d'or yet), quickly he located a shiatsu pro who arrived in 20mins and efficiently elbowed all the knots out, then politely left the room!

I told Marlon to send my delayed baggage up to my room once it arrived and the next day I got it before he started his shift.

The next day I again asked for the concierge as I wanted to book lunch at a 2 Michelin star equivalent Italian restaurant, Fasano Al Mare (saw it in the MY Rio coffee table book in the room) and arrange for an English speaking private driver for a split shift trip, both were done in 20 mins by Claudio who answered the call (I later found out he was the front desk manager). When I went down to meet the driver, Claudio gave him directions on where I wanted to go and return & restart my trip again, great since I could not describe why I'd a break between trips!

I came back at 3pm because I needed Marlon to arrange for a special shopping trip out to the night markets to customize a local handicraft to my specifications which took almost till 11pm to complete & I'd wanted to go out instead of waiting for it to get done.

I'd highly recommend this hotel for its service and peace of mind it gave me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank David T
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Mr David,
I don't have enough words to say "THANK YOU"! You words describing our services were wonderful. As I wrote here in another reviews we really try to do our best to make our guests happy in a delightful stay. We love to serve people. Thanks again and we hope to see you as soon as possible!
William F. Rodrigues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, comfortable and homely rooms, perfect and cooperative staff, excellent service, I must recommend everyone visiting Rio to stay with these guys... William, Claudio, Pedro and the rest of the team made me feel like someone important... Thanks guys!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Omer R
Dear Mr Omer,
It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest. Too many thanks for your kindly words about me and my staff. We love what we do! Thanks again! We hope to see you soon!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when my usual hotel was full of FIFA people during the World Cup. When I was booked into this hotel I wasn't happy - but they certainly changed my mind. It's got a great location, fantastic restaurant in the hotel ( so good it destroyed my diet plan), small but well laid out pool area and gym on the roof which gets more sun than for example the Sofritel who has a pool lower down in the afternoons.

Rooms are good and comfortable - definitely well worth a stay.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Mark D
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Mr Mark,
Thank You so much for your review. We are very glad that we could do your stay with us delightful. Thanks for the nice words. We hope to see you back!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This place was absolutely amazing. From setting foot into the lobby and being greeted by many welcoming staff to the gorgeous roof deck w/ infinity pool overlooking Copacabana, it's just really tough to beat. The building is very new and beautiful. The staff is super friendly, many speak English and are trustworthy. They helped us book a great private car to a neighboring town and also answered all our random questions about nearby attractions. Miramar also has seats across the street on Copacabana reserved for hotel residents so it's easy to get chairs on prime beach spots without any hassle.

You really can't go wrong. One of the best hotels I've been in all things considered.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ling B
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Mr Ling,
Wonderful your review! Our staff is very happy to see how you felt during your stay at Miramar Hotel. We do good services because we love what we do. That's the major reason. Once more thank you for your comments. They will help us to bring more guests to our hotel. We hope to see you soon!
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The minute you walk into the hotel you feel welcome. Greeted with champagne on arrival. The staff was very friendly, spoke English. Service was excellent did not have to wait long for room service. The rooms were clean with very comfortable beds and pillows.The location is great right in front of Copacabana and close to the Fifa Fan Fest. Breakfast was wonderful with a great variety of fruits, cheeses, breads, omelette station, mimosas .The bar on the roof top is great, has a wonderful view of Copacabana beach," drinks at sunset are a must"! The Windsor Miramar has some of the nicest staff I have encountered throughout my travels. I will staty there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Anita K
Dear Mrs Anita,
Thank You very much for your review at Trip Advisor. We are very glad that you like our hotel and services during your stay with us. We also hope to see you again!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just returned from 4 nights at the lovely Miramar Hotel. During the World Cup the rates are really high throughout Brazil and despite paying $ 1000 usd a night for a standard room, this hotel was worth it. The lobby is tiny at when you walk in you don't expect such great comfort and service.

Champagne on arrival, everyone speaking english including the bell boys, very clean rooms, lovely beds and possibly the best shower pressure I've ever seen in a hotel. Location is also great, towards the end of Copacabana near the nicer Ipanema beach yet within walking distance to the Fifa Fan Fest at the very other end Copa. Service was great, great housekeeping, great breakfast, great infinity pool on the rooftop and some of the nicest staff I've ever encountered on my travels, two of whom really stood out for me, Marlon the great Concierge who sent us to some of the nicest bars and restaurants in town and Andres, one of the sweetest and most professional bell boys/doormen I'd ever seen.

Couple of downsides too, the wifi wasn't too consistent (but that seems to be a problem in all of Brazil, the water in the pool had a bad smell and there's no spa, although they have a therapist that comes from outside for in room massages on the hotel bed which is not the most comfortable for a treatment).

Overall, along with Grand Hyatt in Sao Paulo, this was the best hotel I stayed in Brazil and I will surely consider returning here in the future. Well done Windsor.

Room Tip: choose a front sea view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank salarvafa
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Mr/Mrs Sava,
I just can say THANK YOU very much for your review at Trip Advisor. Your words really help us to make better services. Using you information we had already checked the "smell" you found at the swimming pool. At this time we did not feel anything wrong, but during your stay, maybe, we had put too much chlorine inside the pool (I don't know if it was the problem). Marlon and Andres would also like to say "thank you" for the praises. They love what they do! We hope to see you again.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My impression about hotels in brasil in general is not good. Usually 4 stars hotels would be rated 3 stars or less elsewhere but Miramar is really a 5 stars based on my experience (full ocean view twin room).
Location is great; front of copacabana and close to arpador and Ipanema. The staff is very friendly and helpfull with the smile on thier face. Corridors are well designed. Rooms are comfy, spacious and the bathroom is perfect. Usually in 5 stars hotels coffee and tea amenities are free but in Miramar Nespresso shots were charged!!
TV channels are OK but i wished if there was more international entertainment channels. I liked the daily chocolat gesture but it didn't tase good to me. Breakfast in the restaurant was really great and the restaurant receptionists welcoming smile is a very nice daily start. The Eggs section is perfect and I wished that there was a similar sweets section (waffles with diff toppings options).
I would highly recommend this hotel to any one and diffenately will be my first choice if I come back to rio.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hesham A
William R, Gerente geral at Miramar Hotel by Windsor, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Mr Hesham,
Wonderful your review about our hotel and services! Your words make us very proud of our job. We love it! About some ideas that you wrote, be sure that we will study them and try to do this actions. Thank You very much to be our guest! We hope to see you again!