“Best experience”

Carioca Languages Portuguese Classes for Foreigners
More attraction details
Owner description: Carioca is the Portuguese school for you!!!Carioca Languages is a school specialized in teaching Portuguese to foreigners.Our classes are dynamic, efficient and didactic. We believe that culture is also an important and fun aspect of language. We are well-versed in Brazilian traditions, as well as up-to-date with the latest Carioca trends and activities! We seek, therefore, not only to teach our students to speak the language, but also to insert them into the rich cultural life our Cidade Maravilhosa!We offer group lessons of 3-7 students, individuals or in pairs.We teach complete grammar, conversation, Portuguese for business, preparing for job interviews, presentations and lectures in Portuguese, Portuguese formal writing, preparation for the Celpe-Bras and for students who will do the Vestibular.Our teachers are qualified, graduates in Portuguese language and experienced in theaching to non-native.We work with all ages, levels and nationalities.We have our own teaching material, with handouts, audios and videos.Our students are supported to make their best according with their goals.
“Best experience”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I had two different teachers in Level 1 and Level 2 and I am very content with the progress I made with the intensive courses. Both teachers were ambitious and motivated, could explain the portuguese language extremly well and noticeably enjoyed to teach the Brazilian language and culture. After the course they remained as friends and we stayed in contact.
With the small groups and the good mixture of grammar, vocabulary, conversation & media I made better progress than ever imagined in just two months of learning.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank tim357

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Horrible Value for Group Class, Good teacher for Individual”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Carioca Languages had a very bad impact on my trip to Rio. I felt like I was trapped everyday at 9am and couldn't leave Sona Zul because it was 5 days a week for 4 weeks. Worst yet: we didn't cover much material during the 4 weeks because the owner of the school wouldn't allow our class to progress at the pace we were at. She wanted us to only cover the small material in the book so we would have to pay her more for the next level. I would have asked for my money back after two weeks but I was too scared of the owner yelling at me. It was felt by all the students that she was very kind on only two days: first and last day of classes.

The unit books (black and white photo copies) were poorly translated and confusing.

If youre desperate, I would recommend their professors for private lessons but NOT for the intensive courses. But you can probably find cheaper lessons as well. Good luck/ sorte!!

Visited January 2013
6 Thank R G
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Ok, we are in Rio, so let's forget about customer service as we are accustomed in other parts of the world, but what I found unacceptable is being fooled by the owner and main teacher (Vivi). Looking at the options on the internet, this school may look like a good one; also when checking on Tripadvisor, the enthusiasm of all the reviews makes you confident you are putting yourself in good hands. Well it's not: the structure definitely not what you expect from a language school (quite dirty and low light); you only get cheap photocopies (not books); the teacher speacks Spanish more than Portuguese (cause there are many native Spanish students from South America) and when I wanted to talk to the responsible (and owner, and author of the cheap photocopies, and teacher, and receptionist...may be Vivi simply does too many things to be properly focused on customer care) she is just too busy and won't be kind enough to spend with you more than 3 seconds, pretending she doesn't understand what you are saying...while when it was time to pay she looked fluent in any language. Definitely a bad experience! I probably can't write the name of the school I found after this, but let's say that Ipanema is better than Copacabana when talking about Portuguese Language School.

Visited December 2012
11 Thank Giovani E
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent teachers & best value for money!”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I took private classes with the owner, Viviane Moraes, over several weeks and this helped develop my Portuguese in a quick and fun way. Viviane is professional, thorough and fun to be around. She doesn't just teach the language, she introduces you to Brazilian culture and especially to all the wonderful things Rio de Janeiro has to offer. I also took conversation classes once my Portuguese was fluent enough. This was an equally great experience. The classes were a lot of fun and always well-prepared by Viviane or Vitor Rebello. We would discuss a different cultural or political topic every week. An excellent way to improve overall grammar and vocabulary. I highly recommend Carioca Languages to anyone interested in learning Portuguese!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank joostvanhout
“Foi ótimo!”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I was very satisfied about the courses given at carioca languages. It was a good mix between passive & active parts during the lessons. The teachers were very enthusiastic and it was always a pleasure to go. I really think that this course offers a complete approach: writing, speaking, listening and reading, even cultural aspects are treated!
I would recommend this course to everybody who's looking for a complete course and wants to improve his Portuguese in all situations (private & work).

Visited August 2012