Rio is a surprisingly expensive city and I booked my accommodation late, which meant I ended up paying around $235/night. I don't mind paying that for a better standard hotel, but having booked late the good hotels were already up in the $350 - $450 range. Having paid around the same rate in Sao Paulo the previous week for a much better hotel that I also booked late (The Pullman) I was very disappointed with the Mercure. Even if I got a better deal at the Mercure, though, I wouldn't stay here again. The furnishings are dated, shabby and in need of replacement. I was on the 1st Floor, which was actually around four floors up (the car park was on the first few floors, and it was really noisy in the mornings starting from around 5:30, with what I think were the staff preparing breakfast in the hotel's kitchen one floor below talking loudly or shouting. This was exacerbated by the paper thin windows which also did nothing to dull the roaring traffic noise on the busy street outside. The air conditioning is also not very sleep-friendly: the air-con in the tiny bedroom is located in a position so that it can only blow in one direction -- directly on your face! When you are visiting somewhere for business sleep is important -- you need to front up reasonably fresh and alert -- so four straight nights with minimal sleep was not good.
On the upside, the hotel is located within an easy walk to either Copacabana and Ipanema beaches, although I avoided Copacabana. The front desk staff were great -- really friendly and helpful. They deserve to work at a better hotel. Overall, if I go to Rio again I'll plan my accommodation much further in advance and stay somewhere on Ipanema.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 3 star Mercure Apt Arpoador, offering 46 apartments, is located between the two most famous beaches in Brazil, Copacabana and Ipanema. The hotel is 12 kilometres from the centre of Rio de Janeiro and 25 kilometres from the international airport. The hotel features fully equipped apartments, a fitness centre, sauna, swimming pool and parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, ACCOR, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Apartments Rio De Janeiro Arpoador Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Mercure Rio De Janeiro Arpoador Hotel Brazil