“Great location but cheap services”

Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel
Ranked #108 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Nancy, France
“Great location but cheap services”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel is ideally located near the beaches (Copacabana, Ipanema) and shops. But the building is old, the windows have only one glass so you can hear the traffic in the street, and the mattresses should be renewed urgently. The staff is nice and helpful but only half of them can speak something else than portuguese.The breakfast is correct but expensive - 40 reals - and often out of something. One of our pyjamas disappeared with the sheets when they did the laundry. In conclusion a bit expensive for it's worth.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above the street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tatiane R, Gerente at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Isabelle,

Mercure RJ Arpoador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for eight days during the World Cup group stage, first week. Found the facilities quite pleasant, the staff extremely nice and helpful, the location perfect. The apartment was extremely clean, everything worked perfectly. TVs seemed out of the box brand new. Would stay again on my next trip to Rio.

The included breakfast was fine. Could eat light (Yougurt, fruits, cereals) or heavy (eggs, fantastic sausage). The coffee ? Well, it's Brazil. Not sure you can get a bad cup of coffee in Brazil.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James G
Tatiane R, General Manager at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Mr. James,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience at Tripadvisor, we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Mercure RJ Arpoador
knoxville tn
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great location at the end of copocabana. Not on beach but 10 mins by foot. I had a decent experience in mercure in Europe but the attitude here is terrible. I had to ask for the room to be clean as walking on the floors got my feet dirty. Front desk guy sleeping at 6 AM and wouldn't allow me coffe because the shop opens at 6:30 even though they have the coffee made inside the door as I watched. Very old tired building. Microwave water for 3 minutes and still not hot enough to make tea. Was charged on prepay for breakfast included at little more than $200 per night yet I was charged for breakfast and they do not listen or care. No we follow company rules. Okay, in September when I return I hear great things about the Golden Tulip. Very happy for this week to end.

Room Tip: Check the Golden Tulip, this is where my co-workers stay that make frequent trips
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank brc4
Tatiane R, General Manager at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

HOTEL REVIEW: #Accorhotels.com

As with the last two of my many trips to Rio de Janeiro, I stayed at the Mercure Rio De Janeiro Arpoador. The staff was kind, efficient, knowledgeable, and eager to assist in any manner. I have to start by acknowledging three (3) staff members right off the bat. Kamila Mizrahi was a super-star front desk employee. She was eager to assist in any way possible. From directions to landmarks, to the best places to shop in Centro for the best prices. The seven (7) of us also received stellar service from Kamila Mizrahi, Bruno Sacramento and Guilherme Dantas. There were a total of seven (7) in my party, with three (3) rooms being utilized. I found the hotel lobby to be warm and welcoming. There is coffee for those who like coffee while you wait for the check-in process, and instant FREE Wi-Fi available. The Accor hotel chain seems to always get it right, which is why I enjoy staying at Accor Hotels and accruing points with their Le Club Accorhotels Loyalty Programs.

We stayed in “Privilege” Rooms on the top floors, and enjoyed our stay immensely. The rooms were clean and modern. Each room has a separate bedroom, bathroom, living area, and kitchen. The bedroom had a closet with approximately five hangers, a three-drawer dresser built into the closet, and a mini-safe bolted to the top of the dresser. The bedroom also had a small digital television that I never used, because we all watched TV in the living room. The bathroom had a western toilette, a stand-only shower, sink, and water nozzle near the toilette for bidet purposes. The living room had a desk, a sofa pull-out bed, two chairs, a table on wheels for easy relocation, two padded stools on wheels, a larger digital TV (approx. 32” inches diagonal), a sliding glass door, and a bar that separates the kitchen area. I was able to plug my USB Portable Hard Drive directly to the Television and watch the movies I brought from home. We utilized the kitchen area to cook meals every night, in order to save money on food.

I chose this hotel [again] because its central to where we all wanted to be. We walked to Copacabana Beach in less than 5 minutes, and to Ipanema Beach Tower/Post 8 in less than 7 minutes. It took maybe 15-20 minutes to arrive at Tower/Post 9, depending on how distracted we became with the beauty of the beach and the people walking around the beach. There are also three Zona Sul markets within walking distance, as well as the General Osorio Metro Station, which is of course located close to the Hippie Fare on Sunday.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is not only a first time visitor to Rio de Janeiro, but also repeat visitors. You will not be disappointed. You will have nothing but nice things to say when you depart. Make sure to ask for Kamila Mizrahi upon check-in. You cannot miss her huge glowing smile, and eagerness to make your stay as comfortable as she possibly can.

Of the 70 trips abroad I have taken, most all of my stays are with #AccorHotels because I can count on a good rate if I book in advance, and I can use my Loyalty Points at ANY TIME on ANY RATE I find online.

@theostravel #theostravel @AccorHotels @Accorhotels.com #AccorHotels #Accorhotels.com #riodejaneiro #tripadvisor #MercureRiodeJaneiroArpoadorHotel @MercureRiodeJaneiroArpoadorHotel #MyLifeIsaTrip007 @accor #accor

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank TheosTravel
Tatiane R, General Manager at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Theos,

5. Room are clean and not too noisy
6. Good location to beach and supermarkets
7. Great coffee in the lobby

Negatives:
1. Cleaning services can sometime be a bit late (but the cleaning lady are very helpful)
2. Most of the staff can't speak english
3. No meal service within hotel, but can order takeouts from nearby pizza place
4. Gym is abit small

Overall a nice and decent place to stay for up to 1 month.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Tatiane R, General Manager at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador. Your review is very important to us.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed at many Hotels in Rio but this is the best till date specially when you are travelling with family on vacation. The Reception people speaks English and ar every curteaus, all rooms are equipped with Extra Sofa cum bed and Kichen to cook. What more do you want in a hotel in Brazil? 100 Meters left and right side of the hotel you find 2 Best Beaches in Rio. Simply Great place to stay.

Room Tip: Top Floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Tatiane R, Manager at Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014