Mercure Rio de Janeiro Arpoador Hotel
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
US$630
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)
US$252
US$143
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Barra(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$123
US$42
US$41
  • Pool
Copacabana Rio Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$58
  • Breakfast included
Orla Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Mar Ipanema Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$109
US$317
US$255
  • Beachfront
US$262
US$224
  • Pool
Brisa Barra Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$94
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssmall kitchenliving roomaccor websitegreat locationipanema beachstrategic locationroom servicewalk distancelonger stayunderground stationrooms are bigdefinitely stay here againtop floorhotel staffan upgradeper dayfelt safe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We stayed 3 nights. The apartments are OK, the location excellent but noisy, and the staff helpful. But we paid almost 500 reals per night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Great apartment hotel in a very good location in Rio. It's right in the middle of Copacabana & Ipanema. The ideal location to stay in Rio is a bit closer to Ipanema. We did have to walk a few minutes to get to the restaurants in Ipanema, but there are also local restaurants and cafes nearby.

The apt had a kitchen with some utensils, but no casseroles. When we asked to borrow one they just found a huge casserole which we couldn't really use. The apt was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but with a good shower. The housekeeping was so-so, but ok. The kitchen was infested with tiny ants, but we didn't really use it. When we asked them to come with insect repellent they just laughed in our face, used a broom to clean some of them away and left.

The staff was pretty rude at times, but I think most of the problem was the language barriers as none of them spoke good english! We also had some problems checking in and had to wait awfully long for a room. We specifically asked for a non-smoking room and was put in a smoking room, then we had to wait until the afternoon to get a non-smoking room. One of the guys in the reception was very rude and such a drama queen. It seemed as though service was not a priority.

We didn't try the pool, but it looked like a nice little pool. All in all a great place to stay!

Ipanema beach is amazing. If you want some good italian pizza go eat at Capricciosa on 134 rua vinicius de moraes - they also have an excellent foccacia/pizza bianca with rosemary! Check out the Hippie market on Sundays and the copacabana night market + always have tons of acai when you are there!

Happy travelling!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelagentoslo
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I can't fault the location of this place as it was situated smack bang within a very short walking distance of both Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches and all the wonderful things they have to offer. The apartments were very average and in need of a refirbish and the kitchen utensils were virtually non existent. Despite daily servicing of the room, the toiletries, towels, toilet paper etc were rarely replaced by the cleaning staff over a 4 night stay. Although it was the height of summer and Carnival with 40+ C days, the swimming pool was empty for maintenance for the duration of our stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I stayed at this Hotel for a few nights before meeting up with a tour group and found it perfect for my needs.

After a hair raising taxi ride from the Airport (USD$50 and ripped off I know but I didn't care after over 20 hours on planes) I was greeted at reception around midnight by a friendly Brazilian called Alan. Alan spoke excellent english, was extremely friendly and as the restaurant had closed arranged for a prompt delivery of dinner and drinks for a tired weary traveller.

The Hotel is situated on a busy street but I found it reasonably quiet (although I always travel with ear plugs). I was forced to change rooms after I checked in as the air conditioner was faulty in my first room, however the staff assisted me with a minimum of fuss.

I found the room very clean and practical, there was a fridge, stove and eating utensils. There is a comfortable lounge room and dining table, a small bathroom and shower but thats all you need and a very comfortable bed with fresh crisp linen. I slept very well for my 3 nights at the Hotel. There were no scenic or water views from the Hotel but you would pay double or triple the price for that privilege and in any case after a 2 minute walk you have those anyway.

Breakfast was buffet style and included fresh fruit, cereals, toast and eggs, sausage etc, it had good coffee and the produce was always fresh and tasty. My Brazilian Portugese phrase book came in handy here. The restaurant was always clean and also had an outside eating area which was very pleasant. There is a small swimming pool and a very small gym with a cycling and running machine, maybe a weight set from memory.

The Hotel is perfectly located almost at the joining point of Copacabana and Ipanema beaches with an easy walk to both. It is an easy 40-45 minute walk to the end of Copacabana beach and back to the Hotel. There are a number of cafe's and restaurants nearby within easy walking distance.

Be sure to leave all your expensive watches, jewellery etc at home as you won't need them in Rio (not as much as the pickpockets!). I had no trouble with pickpockets but I didn't keep anything on my person to attract them in the first place. Keep a photocopy of your passport with you and leave the original in your hotel safe, also I had a small wallet with USD$10 in it to give to a robber if that happended (thankfully it didn't). I only took a credit card or cash if I needed it, keep your money in your sock. Despite all the media about security in Rio I always felt safe either alone or in a group, you just need to be aware of petty theft and be vigilant for it. The Tourist Police were

I would always recommend you join an organised tour to visit Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf or a Favela, these require short travel from the Arpoador area. Head out to Lapa as well for some good food and drinking spots. The Taxi's are cheap and convenient though.

I read another review on Tripadvisor regarding language difficulties for english speaking travellers at this Hotel but always found someone at reception that spoke english and a couple were very proficient indeed. The thing is you need to be prepared when travelling in South America as english speaking locals are rare, I always had my Brazilian Portugese phrase book handy, I found if at least you tried to speak the language the locals were always more receptive and it always made for a good laugh.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Ocahan
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We arrive at 11:30 in the morning and we wanted our rooms, the check in hour was 12:00, , our room was ready and free,what did the say, you must wait in the lobby, because the rules are the rules.....incredible, we came 25 minutes later and they told us in 5 minutes you can go to the room.
The room was dirty, unfriendly satff, there are no views from the room....stay away.
We make the reservation for 2 nights, but we only stay one,we move to Orla Copacabana Hotel, cheaper... in front of copacabana Beach, swimmning pool and the fiendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business