I've stayed at this hotel probably about 10 times since 2003 up to December last year. The thing you have to remember is that hotels in Rio are by and large extremely mediocre, which permits international chains to charge exorbitant prices. First time I stayed here, I paid $90 a night for a beach view room (my employer then had a VERY good procurement function) yet I have also paid over $400 a night - and not during a special event either. Just been quoted $730 for one night this coming week..................
Firstly, the good. The executive floor staff - Valeria, who remembers me even if it has been a year or two since I last turned up. The sushi restaurant on the 1st floor. Breakfast on the 1st floor. Nice gym/exercise facility with view of Copacabana and pool on the cobertura., good equipment for a hotel gym. Bathrooms nice and standard Marriott Americas bed, very comfortable. Carpets replaced between 2008-2010 throughout.
The not so good: 75% of rooms face internally. This is kind of by necessity due to the lack of decent views on 3 sides of the building and it is an inventive way to get around it - but still... Can't say I particularly like the exec lounge, always very warm and the food I find underwhelming. Check-in/out on the ground floor can take an absolute age.
Overall, you have to remember the competition amounts to the Copa Palace, the Fasano and the Sofitel. Which is a seriously limited number of rooms and when they get full, there are good reason why one would not want to stay in the large number of extremely mediocre alternatives, hence prices rise - extortionately.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The extraordinary JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro hotel offers seamless commuting to the city's best attractions, including Sugarloaf Mountain, Christ the Redeemer and a variety of nightlife, restaurants and golf courses. The world-famous Copacabana beach is just steps away from our doors, and Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport is less than 10 miles away. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate our proximity to exciting activities like rock climbing, surfing and sailing. Guest rooms at our JW Marriott feature elegant decor, plush bedding, marble bathrooms and LCD TVs with international cable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Marriott, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Rio De Janeiro
- Marriott Rio De Janeiro
- Rio De Janeiro Marriott
- JW Marriott Hotel Rio De Janeiro Brazil