“Top 5 in Rio”

GreenLeadersBronze level
UK, the World
“Top 5 in Rio”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I've stayed at this hotel probably about 10 times since 2003 up to December last year. The thing you have to remember is that hotels in Rio are by and large extremely mediocre, which permits international chains to charge exorbitant prices. First time I stayed here, I paid $90 a night for a beach view room (my employer then had a VERY good procurement function) yet I have also paid over $400 a night - and not during a special event either. Just been quoted $730 for one night this coming week..................

Firstly, the good. The executive floor staff - Valeria, who remembers me even if it has been a year or two since I last turned up. The sushi restaurant on the 1st floor. Breakfast on the 1st floor. Nice gym/exercise facility with view of Copacabana and pool on the cobertura., good equipment for a hotel gym. Bathrooms nice and standard Marriott Americas bed, very comfortable. Carpets replaced between 2008-2010 throughout.

The not so good: 75% of rooms face internally. This is kind of by necessity due to the lack of decent views on 3 sides of the building and it is an inventive way to get around it - but still... Can't say I particularly like the exec lounge, always very warm and the food I find underwhelming. Check-in/out on the ground floor can take an absolute age.

Overall, you have to remember the competition amounts to the Copa Palace, the Fasano and the Sofitel. Which is a seriously limited number of rooms and when they get full, there are good reason why one would not want to stay in the large number of extremely mediocre alternatives, hence prices rise - extortionately.

Room Tip: Copacabana view rooms are better, but pricier. Take your choice.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The rooms were pretty average for a hotel that is touted as being 'first class'. The only thing that was 'first-class' was the location, across from Copacabana Beach. However, I was cautioned by a staff member not to go more than a block off the beaten path.

By & large the staff were polite & accommodating, however, no one extended themselves beyond what was required. This maybe subjective, but the expectations of making the difference & going the extra mile in a top hotel just wasn't there. Left a little aghast to see two bell staff arguing in public over a guest tip. But then there not many other alternates in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is a very nice hotel and has an excellent location on Copacabana. Fortunately, I was able to use my government rate to save a little bit on cost. Using the government rate, however, relegated us to an interior room with no view. That being said, we spent very little time in the room, which even without a view, was very nice (HDTV, minibar, nice bathroom, comfortable bed).

The breakfast was included in the rate and was excellent. There were omelet stations, several hot dishes and a large island of fruit. Service was excellent.

We also ate sushi one night in the hotel, which was excellent.

Although the beach is across the street, the Marriott has an attendant who will set up your chairs/umbrella and provide you with towels.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I am Brazilian, and a Carioca from Rio to boot, and have stayed at various hotels in Rio ranging from Copacabana Palace to random apt-hotels in Ipanema and Leblon, and this is the most I've paid for such a mediocre experience in the world. R$1160 per night (granted, it is during the famed Rock in Rio), for a small room that has a small window facing the ocean, is crazy.

The service is great, and if you have any questions or doubts you will have people from the front desk tending to your needs, but aside from that, very...mediocre. Rooms are tiny, and food at the hotel restaurants...not great. The one star is for the service. If it weren't for that, and if Tripadvisor would allow it, I would five JW Marriot 0 stars.

P.S. when I called the internationalt Marriot phone line a service representative told me that there was no Marriot hotel in Rio de Janeiro, and that one was scheduled to be built sometime in 2012. That's just a sidenote.
Because I had to come to Rio on business, I ended up calling the hotel directly, and they promptly booked a room for me.

Room Tip: If you are coming to Rio while it's not high season talk to a travel agency about apartment-hote...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Juliana S
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I was in Sao Paulo for business for 2 weeks, and made a side trip to Rio for the weekend and stayed at this hotel. I thought the location was great, very close to restaurants and right across the street from the middle of Copacabana Beach. The hotel itself was very nice, probably the nicest on the beach, and my room was excellent. I did not have an ocean view room, my room overlooked the atrium, but you could see through the glass front of the building to the beach and ocean across the road. My only complaints are that the pool on the roof is too small and that they charge you for internet access even in the hotel's common areas (considering the price of this hotel, that's serious 'nickel and diming' of guests). I stayed using Marriott points, but keep in mind that this hotel is pretty expensive, even at Rio's high prices.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed at the JW Marriot located very centrally on Copacabana beach in late August of 2011. I can't say that I had any negative experiences at the JW Marriot, but I can't say that anything overly impressed me either. The rooms were clean and modern, but definitely on the small size. If travelling with anyone other than a significant other or close friend, sharing a room could be trying. Our room was an interior that was situated in a way that overlooked the center of the hotel preventing any natural light which is a personal pet peeve. We used the conceirge pretty regularly as we did a lot of tours. All of the companies they worked with for their tours were professional and good experiences. We did the hang-gliding with Marcelle and also the Favella Jeep tour, both were expensive, but both were great experiences. When it came to providing any assistance beyond booking tours, the staff left something to be desired. On two occassions we asked for restaurant recommendations and the suggestions were the most obvious and basic selections available. They didnt seem to have a list of favorites, or secret gems, or anything of the sort. We ate breakfast in the hotel and the buffet was perfect, not overly elaborate, but suitable for any dietary needs. I wish I could remember our servers name as he was the highlight of the hotel. Each morning he remembered us and went above and beyond. The pool was beautiful, (but small) and getting beverage/food service on the room was difficult and required patience as they didnt have full time staff on hand to service the patrons, however, all the signature drinks I tried were great once they arrived. We also ate at the sushi bar in restaurant which was average. Nothing bad to say, but nothing memorable. Rio is an expensive city and as such the Marriott is an expensive hotel. As an American it was easy, the staff was all polite and helpful. The Marriott is a practical selection. There was nothing about this hotel that was particularly memorable, but, if you're looking for a dependable high quality hotel, this is a great choice with just a few kinks.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I should preface this and say I stay at Marriotts ALL THE TIME for business. I'm platinum with over 1000 career nights. When you think JW you think of the flagship Marriott and this was clearly not. It's probably the 2nd worst JW I've stayed at. But, overall it's still a very good hotel. We stayed on Marriott points so I don't even know what the nightly rate would have been -- probably close to $300 USD a night, if not more. I would NEVER pay that much to stay there. The check-in was slow and done poorly. Normally I don't ask for the platinum gift which is like a cheese tray and a half bottle of wine but since I was with my girlfriend I had requested it. You would expect this cheese and wine would have been delivered to the room right away. NO! After 45 minutes I called the front desk and said "you know, its not the cheese and wine I'm concerned about, it's my time you've wasted. It's my first night and I'm sitting here waiting on cheese and wine that should have been delivered 40 minutes ago... Terrible."

My next problem was the no in-room wifi. In this day and age you tell me there is no in-room wifi and I will not want to stay at your hotel. I was using Marriott points to stay for free so I could survive. Wifi was only offered in the lobby and the executive lounge (if you have access to it)

Next problem is the ATM was out of service the whole time (6 days). Unacceptable in Rio, considering the nearest ATM is at least a 15 minute walk, and not a walk you want to do at night. So guess what, if you're going out in the evening and short on cash -- you're gonna have to go somewhere else. Unacceptable.

The location is AWESOME though. Right smack in the middle of the Copacabana beach. Another AWESOME thing about the hotel is the executive lounge (if you have access to it). The breakfast is great and the evening food is great too. Free drinks in the evening is a nice touch.

All in all, the location is the savior for this hotel. The lounge (if you have access) is also nice. If you can't get lounge access then stay elsewhere. It's not worth the price, even if it was $200 USD a night. Again, we stayed for free so if we find ourselves going to Rio we'll use points and stay for free again. But if I had to pay, I'd never come back. Not worth it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rudy K
JW_Marriott_RJ, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the experience you had upon check-in at our hotel and also for the delay in delivering to you the platinum gift. This is not our standard and we already have taken all the necessary steps to avoid reoccurrence.
As to the wi-fi in our rooms, we have by now included this project in our investment plan to improve this service by the end of this year. Nevertheless, all of our rooms have access to high speed internet.
The ATM machine is a facility that we have implemented for our guests, but we do not manage this service. The maintenance is made by the provider of the machine who is immediately alerted when a problem is identified.
We are very pleased to hear that you were happy with our Executive Lounge services. This space was planned according to the needs of our guests, especially for those who are on business trips.

We hope to have you back soon as a guest at our hotel to have the opportunity to experience our services once again.

Sincerely yours,