“Travel Nightmare in the Hotel!!!!”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #15 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I went to Rio to spend a weekend after a week working nearby.
The room that I was given was a single bedded one, when the photo in booking.com was showing a king size bed.
I asked to change, the staff was not very helpful, but at last they changed me to a room with 2 bed and gather them together to look like a king size bed!! Well ok...
After that I was getting ready for dinner, when I remembered that my wallet, money and watch was in the safe in the other room. I asked immediately to get back my belongings.
It took some time to the security manager get them. He gave me a plastic sealed bag, to my amaze there was only my wallet, my money and watch had been gone, my wallet was a mess they took out everything and put it back together in wrong places, that according to the hotel's director in duty (saturday night) was a COMMON PROCEDURE of the hotel!!!!!!! go through guests' wallet!!!!
It took another hour and the security manager came back with my watch!!!!!! but no money! At that time I decided to call the police, the hotel, had a special entrance for them and did not want me to be seen with the police!
I spent a couple hours in the night in police station.
Everything was a nightmare, that was my saturday night!! Don't be fooled by the decoration. Rooms are cosy, staff shady, and I am not talking about cleaners and waiters they were great.

Next day I check out, a staff member desk manager called Laila (or something like it) gave me an
invoice for me to sign I pointed out that the value was not what I received, and she was arrogant and almost screaming "it's just a couple of reals more, do you want that??" and pick up a pink flowered coins purse and through the money on the counter. I said I'm not signing if it's not correct.

What kind of hotel is this??

By the way, besides fireworks at the end of the years, copacana (where the hotel is located)
is full of travesties prostitutes, nothing to see there, besides burglary (I saw a guest complaining in the front desk, when I asked what was it about they said nothing, it's all fine).

Certainly the girl from ipanema doesn't live remotely close to that anymore.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,284)

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Overall the hotel is nice. My room was very small. The lobby is undergoing renovation so I will not give them a bad remark. The executive lounge is way to small and the hours for cocktails is ridiculous 6-9 that is when most people go out to dinner in Brazil. Try later or earlier!
The sushi at the restaurant was pretty good the concierge said it was better than Sushi Leblon. Sorry it wasn't.
Overall I will return hopefully they can fix some of these issues.

Room Tip: If you don't Want to hear dishes clanking in the morning or evening stay away from the 3 and 4 t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operation at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Mr.
Thank you for sharing you experience regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments about the size and cocktail hours of our executive lounge will be taken into consideration. As you mention we are currently under renovation at our Lobby and the good news is that we will have a new Lobby Bar opening soon that will also give our guests more choices for their evenings. We look forward welcoming you back!

Regards,

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Just spent a week at this hotel. Superb view of Copacbana beach. Although there was a refurbishment going on in the public space, it never interfered with my stay. It isn't up to the standard that I'm used to at JW Marriott when I go to the US, but it's damn good for Rio, where standards can be very low. The staff at this hotel were simply superb, very professional and helpful. Yes, the hotel is expensive, but so is everything in Brazil now. Taxi drivers don't understand Brit or US accents in the main, so either write the name on a card, or speak the hotel name the way Brazilians do, phonetically, call it the "Marryatch" and they'll get it very time.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim L
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The location is great. Right across from the Copacabana beach, we staid for vacation and enjoined the good beach facilities that are available for hotel guests.
Our main problem was the room that faced the interior atrium, with no outside window and day light. In compensation the roof top swimming pool and deck as nice views of the city.
The rooms are nice and clean.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rama K
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your important feedback regarding our structure and services. Every comment made by our customers is taken very seriously by us, as they contribute to the maintenance and improvement of our standards.
Respectfully yours,

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I agree with the review posted earlier this month entitled "Shouldn't be Called a JW".

The staff was lovely and my 11 night stay was without incident. However, the building itself is squeezed in between two other high rise towers which means that "rooms with a view" are very limited. Most face out onto an internal atrium making for a very dark room, albeit quiet. But, I wanted to be able to open my curtains and see sunlight. That wasn't the case. I had to lean way out on my very modest balcony and peer through a colored glass window to see what the weather was like. I also had to keep my curtains closed or other rooms could see right in to my bed. I felt as if I was in a cave.

The hotel is starting to undergo renovations in the lobby. I hope they do the executive lounge next. It was the most outdated lounge I have ever seen. The chairs were wobbly and worn and very uncomfortable and the lighting so dim it makes it very uncomfortable to use for work. However, the internet was excellent and the service was very friendly. The staff did try their best although they do frequently miss the mark of what true "JW - 5-star" service should be.....those small little touches that can make all the difference. I think this is more of a cultural thing than lack of training.

The rooftop pool and gym were adequate. Nothing to write home about but with great panoramic views of Copacabana. Regardless of where you stay in Rio, make sure to book at a hotel with a rooftop pool.

Location of the hotel on Copacabana was perfect although I would stay on Ipanema or Leblon Beach next time I return to Rio. Those beaches are more upscale, less congested with more of a neighborhood feel to them. They are safer to walk around in and less touristy.

Room Tip: Any room other than an ocean view room will be very dark with no view. If you like this, no need to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

We would like to thank you for the recent opportunity to welcome you at J W Marriott Rio de Janeiro and for your feedback on our service. It is only through the valuable feedback from loyal customers like you we can continuously improve upon ourselves. As you mention we are curently undegoing a Lobby renovation, an opening of a New Lobby Bar as well as the Terraneo Restaurant and kitchen renovation. Our goal is to always improve our product and services to better serve our guests.
Sincerely ,

Reviewed 15 May 2013

You will get exactly what you expect - a nicely cared for property, good service, all the amenities and helpful staff. I don't want to make this sound like a negative at all. But it is what you expect from a Marriott. The location is great. Right across from the beach and there are plenty of restatrants in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: The view of the beach is quite nice
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maggie K
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed there for both business and pleasure and had a delightful time. The location is perfect, you walk out and you are on Copacabana beach, what else do you need? Located very near Ipanema and Lapa (for a good night out). The sushis in the Japanese are absolutely delicious and you must taste them. The executive lounge is great and has beautiful views of Copacabana. The roof top swimming pool and bar are places to visit during the day and at night, nice views of the city and the Christ Statue at night especially.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Lucas and Benjamin at Reception.
Thank you for a wonderful stay, we'll be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caroline C

Thank you for your important feedback regarding our rooms. It is only through the valuable feedback from loyal customers like you that we are able to continuously improve our services and facilities. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.
Best Regards