“Brief Stay but Well Worth it!”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #17 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I left our Oceania Cruise one day early to get a chance to stay in town rather then spend another night on the ship. I choose the Marriott on Copacabana Beach because I stayed there for business 11 years ago not long after it first opened. I remember how well I was treated during my 12 day stay. It's location is perfect. Step out the front door and the beach is a few steps away. Fancy a long walk and you can make it to Leblon and Impanema Beach as well. The roof top pool and views are a delight. The staff went overboard to make sure our brief stay was just as we wanted. Service was spot on. We requested a late check out for 6PM the next day because we had a late night flight back to the US. I offered to pay for the extra time but the front desk checked with one of the managers and they let us stay without any additional costs. We ate a few light meals in the lobby bar and food and service were good. There are plenty of restaurants near by but after an 18 day cruise food was not at the top of the list. This Marriott confirms my view that they are clearly at the top of their game. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Jeremy B
JW_Marriott_RJ, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for coming to visit us once again and for choosing the Marriott chain for your travels. As you mentioned we are always ready for our guests and we do our best to provide distinctive service. I am happy to know we were able to extend your check out based on our availability and I look forward to your next stop here in Rio de Janeiro, we will be waiting for you with a warm welcome.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My family and I enjoyed a couple of days at Marriott Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro during Christmas in 2013. The hotel location is fantastic, the rooms are a bit outdated compared to alike hotel chains, but the staff was just amazing.

I spend over 180 nights/year on business travel, and Marriott is definitely one of my preferred brands. When you're on a business trip constantly, the hotel where you stay becomes your home. And when all hotels end up looking the same, it is truly the staff that makes the difference. And this is something unique at Marriott Copacabana. The friendliness and happiness of the staff is the hardest thing to achieve for hotel chains.

Paulo Cesar, who was one of the staff serving everyone in the roof-top pool on December 29th, is truly a professional who lives the core values of Marriott and really delivers the Marriott brand to us the guests. He was a great professional, took fantastic care of us, and made that day I spent with my family very unique and unforgettable.

Thanks so much Paulo, and thanks so much Marriott for keeping engage such professionals!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

I am glad to know that our team showed you the true core values that we live by as a Marriott hotel. I will definitely share your sincere and kind comments with Paulo Cesar as it is very rewarding for every one of us to know that we make the difference for every one of our guests. It is exciting to know that we are your home in the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here on business in February 2013 and went back on holiday in November 2013. In the meantime, the rather fetching 'palm court' area in the lobby had been 'transformed' into a more functional bar and eating area, which I felt seemed to lose the character of the former layout. The very helpful ATM cash machine had also been removed.

Check-in was good and we were given a nice room overlooking Copacabana beach. We also had lounge access, which was excellent and the food was good. The standard of spoken English of the staff in the lounge was variable, which is true of Rio as a whole, really, but we expected that the J W Marriott would have better training for its staff.

Checkout was awkward - our flight wan't until the evening, but we struggled to even extend by 30 minutes on the Sunday lunchtime. Some friends of ours were staying at the Copacabana Palace, and we went down to see them one evening. I think they got the better hotel, really.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front overlooking Copacabana Beach
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 339,334

Thank you providing us with your input, as you noted we did have a recent renovation in our lobby to better serve our guests needs during their stay. We do our best to make sure our team can provide the needed assistance to our guests and we are always looking for ways to improve our associate’s knowledge as well. I apologize we were not able to offer you a later check out for your late flight as we depend on the availability of the day. We look forward to exceeding expectations on your next visit.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

If you want to stay in the Copacabana beach area, the Marriott is a good choice. The hotel sits right across the street from a wide expanse of beach. If you decide to stay at this hotel, be sure to book an oceanfront view room, it feels like you are hovering right over the beach. The same view can be found in the front part of the restaurant------which has an awesome breakfast. Made to order hot dishes, wide variety of fruit and freshly made baked goods. The only negative is the additional charge if you want a cappacino. My wife and I stayed in a junior suite with club privileges. Very nice accomadation, with an additional half bath. I was disappointed that the suite was on the second floor, rather than on the club level. One night we were awakened after midnight to find a trash truck parked directly below our suite. Trash loading and compacting went on for over an hour. So, if you are booking an ocean front room, make sure you are on a high floor. The club lounge is very nice with complimentary breakfast, snacks, beverages including a nespresso machine, and evening canapes and cocktails. Good place to hang out. The quality of the food in the club lounge was about what you would expect from a Marriott----very good, but nothing special.
The hotel staff is very friendly and tries to be helpful. All speak english and the concierges are knowledgeable about things to do and how to get there. Service ranges from great to dreadful. We were supposed to have a variety of amenities upon arrival. They were not in the room and we had to request them several times before they showed up late in the day on our last day at the hotel.
We questioned why we were not placed in a suite on the club level and were told none were available------even though I made reservations 6 months in advance. Later that day another guest told us he had arrived that day and received a complimentary upgrade to a suite on the club level. This occurred even though I am gold elite status with Marriott/Ritz Carlton.
If you are traveling to Rio for the first time, be aware that you will receive constant warnings about crime and personal safety throughout your stay. You are told not to wear jewelry or expensive looking watches, and always be alert for potential crime. To reinforce this, there was one and sometimes two tourist police vehicles parked directly outside the hotel at all times,
Also, know that good hotels on the beach in Rio are outrageously expensive.

Room Tip: ocean view room. high floor. breakfast
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Please allow me to thank you for choosing to stay with during your visit to the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro. I am very glad you enjoyed our amazing views and the breakfast. Your comments are appreciated as we take into consideration everything that helps us improve our service and the products we offer to our guests. Please know that we always do our best to meet all of our guest’s requests and on your return we can definitely reserve a high floor room for your stay.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This review is long overdue. The hotel is great! It is located right on the beach in the middle of all the action. The rooms were very nice. My room faced the beach and the view was amazing. The hotel Restaurant was great and there are lots of other restaurants in walking distance.

Here is the best part. I traveled alone to Brazil for business and arranged a car service from the airport (to the hotel) upon arrival. My car did not pick me up and I was stranded at the airport. There are taxis, but I was shy about getting into a random taxi alone. I asked a professional driver (holding a sign with a name on it) what I should do. I only speak English! which added to my anxiety. The driver asked me where I was headed and let me know he was picking up a high level Marriott employee. The Marriott employee shared the private car with me!!!!! This particular person, despite their long travel day, shared their ride to the hotel. I was and still am very grateful.

I could go on and on about how great this Marriott was. It way very nice. In addition to the hotel, the Marriott team at this hotel is amazing. Hands down, they made me a Marriott fan for life. If this review was helpful, please take a second to let me know.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

I am very pleased to know that our team is always ready to attend to our guests inside as well as outside the workplace. I have to thank you for taking the time to express you sincere thoughts to us; it makes me feel proud of our team and the distinctive service we strive to provide. We look forward to your next visit as I am sure that we will be your preferred hotel in Rio de Janeiro the wonderful city.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Loved everything about it. Amazing, sweeping view of Copacobana from our room, heavenly bed, fresh cut flowers, sublime lighting, everything beautiful and clean. Everyone from the concierge to bellhops to waiters was perfectly pleasant and helpful. Great food (pricy, but to be expected at a J-dub). the lounge on the 9th floor is great for breakfast, coffee, or afternoon snack. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the pool - it's really tiny for a hotel that size. But who cares when you're 2 steps from one of the most famous beaches in the world.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

It is very satisfying to know we made a great impression on you during your stay; we are always here to assist you with everything you may need. Please visit us again and enjoy many more of our amenities and of course Copacabana which is right outside the door.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just came back from an awesome 7 days in Rio!! The JW Marriott rocked!! I have to say - this is the best JW I have stayed at. The staff is incredible - kind, compassionate, dedicated and very helpful. Stayed with my wife and 2 young kids and we couldn't have picked a better hotel.
Everything was AAA rating. They accommodated all our requests and went the extra mile to make us feel at home. Love Rio for sure but the JW folks made it more special, more memorable and more fun than we had ever expected. Definitely coming back soon!!!
Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room if possible, Copacabana beach is breathtaking!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

We thank you for having chosen us as your destination hotel; it is always a pleasure to make you feel at home.We look forward to seeing you and your family once again on your next trio to the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro.