“Aesthetically beautiful hotel with excellent service”

JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #19 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kongsberg, Norway
“Aesthetically beautiful hotel with excellent service”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I will recommend this hotel for everyone that is going to be in Rio.
I only had one night at this beautiful hotel in january of 2014. JW Marriott is a is a modern hotel with high quality, with a perfect location in the middel of Copacobana 10m from the beach, and have a rooftop swimming pool with an excelent view of copacabana.
The service from the hotel staff exceeded all my expectations, they are willing to go the extra mile to make your stay memorable.
I enjoyed this hotel from the minute I walked in, all the staff maked me feel special and warmly welcome. I upgraded my room to the Executive lounge access, that was definitely worth it.
The bed that I had was really comfortable to sleep in and I did not want to get out of it in the morning. Having a good breakfast and watching the morning sun was a perfect start of the day.
I have to admit that Mr. Machado at the Lounge Receptin made the finishing touch of my stay with high class service and a smile that spreads. Thank you so much for making my stay easy and this memorable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TinaMartinsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I felt the full rewards of being a Platinum Elite member when I stayed at this JW Marriott. The customer service was top notch and my stay was the perfect end to my two-week holiday.

My group tour ended on Saturday morning, and as soon as I could, I checked out of that hotel and into the JW Marriott. I was granted early check in at the 9th floor lounge and when I said I preferred an ocean view room, they invited me to have breakfast in the Executive Lounge while I waited for said room to be ready. Breakfast service ends at 10 a.m., so that gives you an idea of how early my check in was. As promised, by the time I finished breakfast, Leonardo came by the Executive Lounge to let me know that the room was ready for me. Although it was a standard sized room, it was perfect. The bed was soft. There were plenty of U.S. electrical outlets. The toiletries included shampoo, conditioner, bath foam, lotion, bath salts and mouthwash. The slippers were Ipanema-brand rubber flip flops that were great for the beach. Internet connectivity was strong (I was able to upload all my Argentina/Uruguay/Brasil photos to an online album in no time). The 18th floor had a great view of Praia do Copacabana but without the street noise. Every night, I had turn down service and housekeeping not only left two pieces of chocolates on the bed, but also the next day's weather forecast. My welcome packet included complimentary ironing services and a welcome drink--caipirinha, of course! at the Carioca Bar on the first floor.

The Executive Lounge served great breakfasts and late afternoon/early evening cocktail reception. Breakfast featured a variety of fruits (I loved the peeled guavas best!) and juices, eggs made to order (perfect sunny side up), crisp American bacon, potatoes, and best of all, Earl Grey tea. Weekend breakfasts were busier than the weekday ones, but I always found a table where I could enjoy breakfast and read the reprinted New York Times that was left at my door. The cocktail reception also featured a variety of food and drinks. I liked the quiche and the asparagus soup best. I ordered room service one night--grilled salmon and rice, and it arrived promptly and was tasty.

The location great, at the corner of Avenida Atlantica and Rua Santa Clara, in the middle of Copacabana. Easy walking distance to the night market, restaurants, and shop and across the street from the beach. The hotel has its own beach service between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., providing an umbrella, towels, and beach chair.

The best thing about this JW Marriott is the customer service. From the moment I walked in the door, I felt welcomed and taken care of. Leonardo was efficient in checking me in, answering my questions throughout the stay, and granting me a late check out. Alfonso at the Concierge Lounge was very helpful with suggestions on samba performances; I regret not being able to go to Salgeuiro in the end. The staff at the Executive Lounge were perfect and always made me feel at home. The bellhops were great at getting me a taxi to Mosteiro Sao Bento and requesting the driver, on my behalf, to wait for me so I did not have to flag another taxi after Mass.

My stay at the Rio de Janeiro JW Marriott is the very definition of Marriott Rewards. I stayed over 160 nights at a Marriott property in 2013 and I feel that my stay at this JW Marriott was my reward. Muito obrigada to the JW Marriott staff! I hope to visit again in the near future.

Room Tip: If your Marriott Rewards elite membership allows it, take advantage of the 9th floor Executive Loung...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CCC_wanderlust
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed 6 nights at the Copacabana Marriott Hotel earlier this year. We had an amazing time - the hotel is situated in the middle of Copacabana beach so it was really easily accessible to everything around.

We experienced really fantastic service from the moment we arrived at the hotel:
- The hotel managed to give us early check-in and were very accommodating when we also asked for a late checkout (they understood completely that we had a 30hr journey ahead of us to go home)
- We had some trouble with our ATM cards and Leonardo at the front desk was a superstar - he did everything he could to help us out when we were stuck in a sticky situation and found ourselves without any cash halfway across the world! He went above and beyond to help us out for which we will be forever grateful! THANK YOU LEONARDO!
- They helped us book tours, restaurants, gave awesome recommendations for bike-riding, places to eat and go etc

The only drawback is that the pool is tiny! But I guess no one needs to spend any time at the pool when you have Copacabana and Ipanema right at your doorstep!

I would definitely recommend the JW Marriott on Copacabana!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Saint Michael, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Clean and spacious rooms with modern amenities. View of Copacabana Beach from the rooftop was amazing day and night. The bartender at the rooftop bar was very friendly and willing to talk to us. Staff at desk and restaurants all spoke English. Great Fitness Center on the rooftop. Staff very willing to help set up rides to local tourist locations. Overall great experience!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stacy B
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for business and a couple of extra days for holiday. This property upholds the high standards you'd expect from the JW Marriott brand. But more than that, the staff are sincere and come across as genuinely committed to every guest's satisfaction. They greet guests with a smile, but they with each other, too.

The Concierge Desk: I was surprised to see that many of the Concierge staff are members of Les Clefs d'Or, assuring the highest calibre of service. They lived up to this standard in making dinner and tour reservations for us throughout our visit.

The desk staff were also top notch. Taking care of minor issues and following through to assure we were satisfied. The lobby bar is very nice and comfortable. Friendly bar keepers who were happy to speak English. Housekeeping was perfect.

>> Suggestions for the traveller:

1) If a beach view is critically important to you (don't LOOK at the beach, BE on the beach), note that the beach facing room windows do not open, so no ocean sounds - besides which the noisy avenue would drown the ocean out. Instead, request an atrium facing "corner" room with a small balcony. These rooms are larger than the ocean-facing rooms, with the added benefit that you can open the sliding door to better circulate the air.

2) If you have access to the concierge / executive lounge on the 9th floor, know that it conforms to the standards for JW's: a) the hot breakfasts, afternoon refreshments and evening hors d'oeuvres are vey good and varied, b) it has a Nespresso machine (woo hoo!!!), and c) in the evening, if you ask, the attendants will prepare a fantastic Caipirinha. Plenty of cold bottled beverages, of course and the view of the beach is great.

3) If your Marriott status affords eligibility for the concierge level, avail yourself of the desk service on the 9th floor for check-in and your special needs. For example, a couple of times we simply asked the attendant on 9 to setup our dinner. She/he contacted the Concierge, or the restaurant itself for us.

4). Check out the rooftop sundeck, exercise room and pool. Very comfortable, if not a bit small. We had lunch up there on our first day, and it was very good. They'll have a small barbecue going right next to the bar.

As a Marriott Lifetime Platinum, I have a well-tuned set of expectations for each brand. As JWs go, this one is among the best managed, most guest-friendly I've visited. Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tazmo300
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

In the heart of Copacabana Beach! Beach is across the street Atlantic Avenue. You can rent beach towels, chairs, umbrella displaying your hotel key to clerk at Copacabana beach. Concierge & guest service agents all very friendly and speak good English. This is the only Marriott brand.... JW Marriott is top of the line. Request an ocean view room when you open your curtains awesome photos of the beach.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Papamoa
Reviewed 22 January 2014

J W MARRIOT COPACABANA, RIO DE JANEIRO BRAZIL.
Efficient, well-run and in a fabulous location. Step outside to restaurants. Directly in front of the hotel and across the street JWM has its own beach cabana where you are well looked after. Lie back and enjoy the beach scene. Breakfast was standard buffet and cooked eggs. Very clean. We had an interior room which was pleasantly air-conned and very quiet.

Room Tip: If you're weary, take an inside room - absolutely quiet. You can take in all the action outside...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple