“Great Location and good staff”
Review of Sol Ipanema Hotel

Sol Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #81 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 9 July 2012

That was our second time there. The hotel has a special location in front of the beach and close to the subway and good restaurants around there. The breakfast is very good! The staff is friendly and could help us with every issue. The rooms are nice and clean. The price is a little bit expensive but is the standard in that area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Quasar_SP
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

BEST WESTERN PLUS SOL IPANEMA HOTEL

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I've stayed at the Sol Ipanema (with my 22 person group) for 7 consecutive years.

The hotel is right on post 9, the best location on Ipanema Beach.
The hotel is extremely clean, has an amazing rooftop view, super comfy mattresses, and one of the best Rio hotel breakfasts . Caiparinhas on the rooftop are delicious.

I love the staff too. Paulo (the front desk guy) always helps my group have a fast check-in. . Vilson (from the dining) is extremely helpful too (his fluent English comes in hand for my group of gringos)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BeeNBoo
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you comments.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

If you are looking for a nice, clean, comfortable room right at a reasonable price right smack in the middle of Ipanema beach, this would be it. Staff were friendly and helpful - only the front desk and restaurant manager spoke English. Free wifi is available and worked great throughout my stay (if needed, paid wifi gets higher bandwidth). Breakfast spread was simple but adequate; quality of food ordered off the ala-carte menu was much better.
Beautiful stretch of beach right across the road from the hotel; the Garota de Ipanema (of Girl from Ipanema fame; pricey but quality of food was mediocre) is literally just around the corner, and Bar Emporio and other notable watering holes are just a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon L
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here over a year ago and felt whilst the hotel was in a great location with great rooms, the staff especially at front desk let it down. One receptionist was lovely, the other two I experienced were appalling.

Roll forward a year and I'm living in Rio for three months and my friend stays four nights in the Sol just before carnival! Well somehow the staff are even worse! Reception were increadibly rude to the Japanese couple checking in when I arrived to meet my friend. When I asked for him with his room number I was told to use the phone on the wall - I hadn't saw it nor would I have assumed I could just pick it up! When my friend did cone down and try and take me upstairs the gruff security man went mad and was shouting over to reception. I was told I had to fill in a guest registration card before I could accompany him to his overpriced room. From this point on I did not return to the hotel, we arranged to meet at the beach and save hassle.

When I stayed here I had no problems taking my female friends to my room. We are all Brits and clearly tourists. Despite me turning up in beach wear to collect my make Australian friend I was made to feel like a prostitute by security. Reception where rude from the point of my arrival and I'm just amazed that a year after my stay and similar complaints the situation is worse!

Rooms are great, cleaning staff do a great job and whilst the pool is small it's great in a hot day and has great views. Just sort out the military regime at the front desk- it spoils a trip to lovely welcoming rio.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Caledonia_Rach
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you can avoid this place, please do.

Firstly, it was so expensive for what you got- a 3 start hotel with no-frills whatsoever.

The service was so incredibly lousy. Would it hurt to offer to help me with my luggage when your lifts are closed for maintenance? Breakfast was dire (in a basement). Don't include it in your rate, just walk around the corner if you must stay here and have breaky at a cafe.

The pool- who cares when you've got Ipanema beach in front of you?

My recommendation is there are other hotels in the area that are better value for money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShellOb
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Reviewed 22 May 2012

The room was nice and clean and had a great view on the ocean. The food at the restaurant was really good and the prices were reasonable. The hotel is perfectly located and near from everything. Yes, the pool on the roof is small but to me it was perfect. The only cons is that except for the people at the front desk none of the employees I met spoke English, but we always found a way to understand each other. Anyways that's part of traveling...Everyone was nice with me and service was great.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Melanie P
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed there for a week with friends. The hotel is excellent. Staff are friendly. We had a deluxe room with an ocean view. There is a small rooftop pool and bar. Breakfast is served from 6-10:30Am daily -- the head of the food and beverage area spent time in the US and speaks perfect English (for those travelers that need it most of the front desk speaks English as well.) Food is good and room service is 24 hours.

The beach is fantastic and Ipanema is a wonderful neighborhood in Rio, though pricey. If you are cost limited, walk three or four blocks off to the beach area to eat, shop, etc.

The Metro is only a few blocks away and gives you quick access to other parts of the city.

Room Tip: If you can, get upgraded to the deluxe room with ocean view. It is very nice. Oh, and get on the hig...