“Great location”

Ranked #62 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great location”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a good service hotel with great location and good services.
What I liked best was the breakfast and the fact that it is just in front of Ipanema's beach.
The worst is the gym... Almost no equipment to workout. That is not that bad because one can easily substitute the gym by a run on the shore

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

Your opinion is very important for us!

BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We came to Brazil for carnival and did a lot of research on hotels before our trip. Prior to this hotel we stayed at the Best Western on Copacabana, but preferred this hotel much more. The location in Ipanema is stunning, the hotel is just over the road from the beach, and guests can take loungers and umbrellas from the hotel to the beach. The views from the pool area on the rooftop were amazing and the rooms were comfortable and spacious. As it was carnival time, prices did seem bit inflated and the service could've been more efficient. I would recommend travellers that go to Brazil to learn some Portuguese, it will definitely help you when you stay in Brazil, as many in the hotels do not speak English. However a great experience and I would love to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CW698WorldTraveller
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, we would like to thank you for the compliments regarding our services during your stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel was booked for me as I was in brasil on business and a few days facing the sea would be nice. The problem here with rooms on the front is the noise, you need ear plugs. The room has all you need the staff busy at front desk so a little sharp. All the other staff I met were really pleasant and helpful, especially the roof top bar man. The bet caipirinha in Rio.
I would return and will hopefully with my family.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the BW PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel, we would like to thank you for the compliments regarding our services during your stay.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Hotel is located facing Ipanema Beach at Life Station #9. They provide umbrellas,chairs and beach towels for their guests to use on the beach. Good wifi and hair dryers are in the room. Dining room overlooks the beach and has a very nice buffet for breakfast that will suit all tastes. Rooms are spacious. Beds very comfortable and rooms very clean and sunny view from the windows. Roof top terrace has very small pool but great views of the area. If you are booking through US 800 number and are having difficulty with price or availability, you might try writing to the hotel direct. This is a franchise location for Best Western. Most of the guests I saw were Brazilians.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JR2000
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Client,

Thank you very much for your comments in relation to your stay at BW PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our services, it is pleasing to receive such comments as yours and to know we are caring for our guest properly.
We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Rio.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any request.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Staff was very accommodating, Rooms were clean, View was amazing, breakfast was top notch.

There is absolutely no place for negative reviews or complaining. I will stay here again in a heartbeat.

The location is prime time!

Room Tip: Stay here. Its awesome
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean P
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013

San Diego
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I am just finishing a four night stay at the Best Western Plus Sol Ipanema. Overall, I really like this place. The last time I visited Rio, I stayed at the Ipanema Inn. This hotel is definitely a few steps ups from that property.

I like Ipanema better than Copacabana. It is cleaner, safer, better shopping and restaurants and the beach is better. The down side of Ipanema is that the hotel choices aren't as good. Most of the hotels are older and don't have the services you will find in Copacabana. For me, especially traveling alone, location and safety outweighs some of the perks some of the Copa hotels have.

I booked a ocean view room based on the reviews from TA. I am glad I did. The only thing a bit weird is that the windows are kind of high so you do need to stretch a bit to get the view. However, it was fun to watch what was going on the beach right from your window. The hotel put me on the 13th floor which was amazing. I didn't have trouble with noise like some of the other reviewers but you are on the main street. I really didn't experience a truly quiet room my entire trip so I think I was used to the ambient noise.

What works about the hotel:

1) location - right across from beach and famous Post 9 lifeguard tower, restaurants all over the place. Grocery store and the Sunday Hippie fair only a few blocks away. The streets of Ipanema are really nice to walk around too!
2) service - I thought the desk staff was really helpful. They helped me book the express tour to see the Christ Redeemer and Sugar Loaf - R$190. Very good tour - efficient way to see both in 6 hours plus a short city tour. The guide spoke English
3) beach supplies - you can get chair, towel and umbrellas from the hotel. Then walk across the street to the beach and enjoy
4) views - from my room and the roof top deck, the views are amazing
5) breakfast included - best during my entire stay - good fruit and pastries
6) water pressure - this sounds like a funny thing to write about but until I stayed at this hotel, I didn't feel like I was really clean my entire trip
7) rooms - very big. Kind of a weird long configuration but easily fit two queen beds
8) English speaking front desk staff - I never expect this when going to another country but its nice when the front desk staff does speak English and they did here

What was just ok:

1) roof top deck - great views but it was really small and always crowed. The pool was super small, like a plunge pool
2) fitness center - only a few treadmills and hand weights
3) price - all the hotels are expensive in Rio
4) lobby bar - kind of cramped in the entrance but I did eat the food and it was good

Other things to know... The beach on the weekends is PACKED like you see on TV. I waited until during the week and it was much more comfortable but still good for people watching. Sunday they close the beach street in Ipanema and Copa which makes for some good walking and people watching. Sunday is the famous Hippie Fair which is a few blocks from the hotel.

Overall a good stay and good choice for Ipanema!

Room Tip: Pay extra for ocean view. Try to get a high room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank dogluverSanDiego
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It is a great pleasure to have feedback highlighting the quality of our service.

We hope to see you again with us!

Lethbridge
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We spent three nights here as part of our first trip to Brazil. The staff were very welcoming and were more than accommodating given that we arrived 4 hours before check-in time. The room was well appointed and we specifically asked for a beach view, which we did get. The view from the rooftop pool, however, supercedes that of any of the rooms. The location is ideal. Not only are you across the street from Ipanema Beach, it's a very short walk to the Hippie Market on Sundays, lots of restaurants and juice bars and even a supermarket. The area is perfectly safe with lots of families, couples and was a joy to stay in. The only downside is the price, but if you want to stay someplace nice in Rio, you have to pay for it.

Room Tip: spend the money on the beach view. It's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonasa
solsandra, Manager at Sol Ipanema Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013