“Great Hotel for Business Travelers looking for the traditional Rio de Janeiro”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #72 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great Hotel for Business Travelers looking for the traditional Rio de Janeiro”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I knew the hotel only for few days in May 2012. The location is great, with a gorgeous view of the Copacabana beach and a few meters of the gates of the Copacabana Fortress, key place to understand part of Brazilian 20th Century history.
The hotel service is good and to highlight is the superb restaurant. Also to highlight is the unbeatable view of the Sugarloaf, seen from the bar of the hotel. Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy this view of the Sugarloaf at the other side of the Copacabana bay, while drinking a refreshing "caipirinha".
If you have business at downtown area, this is one of the best places to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the ones with the view to the Copacabana beach!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Bonjour and thank you for recommending Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.
Indeeed, we are in an excellent location and I am glad to hear you made the most of your stay and of our restaurants.
I hope to welcome you back very soon in the Marvelous City.

With my warmest regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 2 June 2012

This hotel was first opened as "Rio Palace", about 40 years ago. Since then renovations where kept to a minimum and Sofitel made absolutely no effort to make the rooms at least clean. As most "regular" priced hotels in Rio this hotel is full of mold and smells odd.

While the "luxururios" reception with well trained staff might fool you for a 5 star hotels be prepared for really old rooms, with dirty carpet, TV that has poor reception and incredibly long and empty corridors.

The bathroom is particulary bad, with mold filling up most of the metals (See pictures). To my knowledge this kind of mold can be even dangerous to your health (you can always count on RJ sanitary inspections to not do their jobs).

Simply don´t go here, there are better ways to expend 400-500 dolars a night, like making a bonfire.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Bonjour Roberto,

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Be assure that a corrective action has been taken to avoid the technical issue you faced.

We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service; I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in a near future.

Waiting to welcome you soon in Sofitel Rio.

Kind regards,

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed 3 nights this hotel with my wife. Overall, our stay was great. The hotel has a great location for both Copacaba and Ipanema, the staff is very professional, courteous and will really go out of their way to help you.

The rooms are very clean, spacious and well air conditioned.

One of the biggest pluses for us was safety: our first time in Rio and we felt very safe at this hotel.

However, when we checked out, we were surprised to receive a bill since we had pre-purchased on the Sofitel website. We could not understand this and we were told it was "taxes not included in the internet transaction." They were quite high and no one could explain what the taxes were about.

We were in a hurry because we had to get to the airport and we did not have the time to sit and argue. We ended up paying but we are still confused why we had to pay extra having already paid before our arrival.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brkln71
Sydney
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed for a few nights in May 2012. The hotel is in a great location with unobstructed views of Copacabana. It is across from Fort Copacabana and strolling distance to Ipanema and Apoarder Rock. Service was attentive and generally helpful. The police presence at the entrance of the hotel made me feel very safe. On my first morning during a long weekend there was a long queue for breakfast which caused me to run late for an appointment. The staff didn't seem able to cope with maintaining order and people were just standing there in no particular order by the entrance. Breakfast choices were disappointing for a Sofitel. In addition, the hotel lobby was permanently infused with the smell of incense which was not great for asthma sufferers like myself. I never wanted to linger there or even have a drink at the lobby bar because the smell made me feel ill. To be fair, a lot of people love the aroma of incense but I am not one of them. On checking out I found mistakes on my bill (I was charged for tax when my hotel bill had actually been prepaid). In addition, I had made a toll free call from the room which was confirmed by the concierge as being toll free but I was slugged with a huge charge because the toll free call turned out to be an international call to the US. When I complained the charge was reduced to the cost of a local call. Fair enough.

Room Tip: I had an oceanfront room and on my first night I was treated to throbbing disco music until the earl...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry you felt that the service received in the restaurant did not match Sofitel standards. Please rest assured that I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Regarding your bill, please feel free to contact me directly at sofitelrio@sofitel.com for any assistance you may need to solve the issue.

I remain at your disposal,

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I've been to this hotel with my 2 daughters of 7 and 9 years old that have never been to Rio. I also got a beach view room. For a first trip with them to Rio, the view and the location paid off, but probably next time a I will stay in Leblon instead of Copacabana.

Room Tip: Worth it get a beach view
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Roberto N
Bonjour and thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with our excellent location.
I hope to welcome you and your family back to create more magnifique moments in Rio de Janeiro.

Best regards,

New York
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We looked carefully at all 4-5 start hotels in Rio and found the location of the Sofitel superb. Right on Copacabana with a fantastic view of Sugarloaf. Only 10-15 minute walk to Posto 9 in Ipanema for the best beach people watching. The area is very safe, we walked around many times with no problems. You have to pick rooms carefully though, we were first booked in a 'Luxury Club Room' but it turned out it does not face the beach directly. The hotel is U shaped and it was on the inside of the U basically facing the other wing of the hotel with a sideway view of the beach. We found the marketing of these rooms as 'ocean front' quite misleading. We upgraded to a junior suite, a fairly pricey upgrade but was worth it. Large balcony, very private with a direct view of Copa and Pao de Azucar, fabulous. The room was very nicely furnished too. We had access to the Club lounge which was very nice, big terrace where you can have your complimentary breakfast (fabulous quality and choice!), good wines all day long, champagne, snacks at cocktail hour that looked like amuse bouche in a Michelin restaurant, truly excellent. I would imagine the experience in the Sofitel would be quite different in a 'city facing room' with no Club access so pick carefully. If you are willing to shell the additional money for the suites, the Sofitel seems like better value than the Fasano which we passed by many times. For the price of a Sofitel suite you get a smaller ocean facing room at the Fasano. At this point Sofitel and Fasano are the only legit luxury properties in town, everything else is a step below, the hyped Copacabana Palace looks tired and in a bad location.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank drazhen
Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Club Millésime. It was created for those, as well as you, seek for excellence and exclusivity.
I hope to welcome you back soon to create more magnifique moments in Rio de Janeiro.

With my warmest regards,

West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Rooms are nice and the A/C works well -- I also appreciated the blackout curtains and Rio will cause you to have many late nights -- The Lounge is very nice but the drinks are a bit pricey. Service here was quite good and the food is also up to par. This is at the far end of Copacabana which makes for as easy stroll to Ipanema. The main pool has a great view of Copa beach but the Hotel also has a lounge section on the beach were chairs are provided and you can get drinks /food delivered to your chair.

Room Tip: You certainly want to be facing Copa beach!
1 Thank Prpleace
Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.
Indeed, we are ideally located and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the most of our beach service and restaurants.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,