“In need of some attention”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #74 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Great location, doesn't have the same standards of other Sofitel hotels in the world. The rooms are tired, old & have a bad smell. Buffet breakfast is really good and so too are the other dining areas.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank L_12_10
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

Indeed, we are ideally located and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room. I will certainly pass your feedback onto the Executive Housekeeper. We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service; I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove this to you when you next visit Rio de Janeiro.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We were to stay at a hotel in Impanema but it was dirty when we arrived. We quickly called the travel agent and found the Sofitel which was rated 5 stars and had all the amenities we were looking for. Our ocean view room was back in a corner and you could not see the ocean whil in the bed really. It was a strech to call it ocean view unless you were on the balcony (513), I believe. The dinner we had there was great. The room was nice but you could begin to see some wear on the desk chair and around the room, but it was clean and comfortable. The negatives were the charge for breakfast. We also asked for late check out as we were not leaving until 6:45pm. We were told we could use the gym facilities to shower after 12 noon check out. I called down and asked if we could pay to stay in the same room until 3 pm. Miraculously the room could be bought for 375 Reals for 3 hours. When I went down to sign the agreement the girl (Amanda) told us it was unneccessary to pay for an hour past their usual late check out of 2pm What a wonderful surprise.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that look directly to the beach, not the rooms with a partial beach view. They cos...
1  Thank canddlove
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you enjoyed our restaurant.

I am sorry, however, to hear that your room did meet your expectations. I remain at your disposal to discuss more about the matter through the email sofitelrio@sofitel.com.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Reviewed 3 July 2012

staff are very good and well trained, rooms reasonably good but rest of hotel is dated and bordering on 3 star accommodation, the location is very good and security is evidently very high, this hotel badly needs refurbished and will loose business until it is, i would not recommend this hotel and is not what i expected with Sofitel.

1  Thank rod238
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff and location.

I am sorry, however, that the hotel did meet your expectations. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please feel free to contact me directly with your feedback at sofitelrio@sofitel.com.

Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

An efficient hotel in perfect location. A separate lounge/breakfast lounge for the top executive floors is the best plus about this hotel. Suited for business visitors as well as tourists. Nice and flexible staff, service minded. Expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Vibek
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
Indeed Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is ideally located and I am glad to hear that you felt the staff was very nice and helpful.
I hope to welcome you back soon at our Club Millésime.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

First of all I will start my review with thank to the people working in the Lost&Found section in this hotel. I was attending a conference last week in this hotel (I was leaving in another hotel at that time) and lost my iPhone, which also had 300 USD in cash (in the holster), my Visa credit card and my Drivers' ID... Unfortunately I found out that I lost it after sometime and started searching for it in my bags and stuff...when I tried to call it, nobody answered and I didn't hear it ring anywhere near me. I was certain that it was either stolen or lost. Much to my surprise a few minutes after I got a phone call from it and a very nice lady from the Lost&Found who told me that the cleaner found my phone and gave it to them. Another few minutes later I got it back at the concierge desk. Everything was in tact! The money, ID, everything. They didn't even take a tip which I offered! Thank you very much! I would like to ask the management of the hotel to thank their staff on my behalf.
As mentioned above I was staying in another hotel (which was a total disaster and I will write a separate review on it a bit later) and from the first day I was trying to move to an another hotel, unfortunately all were booked and overbooked, due to the RIO+20 conference. Luckily on Tuesday I was told that on Wednesday they might have a room for me for the rest of my duration of stay. And they did;). Remy (hopefully I got his name right) from the reception went a long way helping me get the room and was very helpful in all matters. We got a wonderful suite overlooking Copacabana beach with a few balconies.
The hotel itself is nice, breakfast is magnificent, the lunch buffet is highly recommended and you will get some exceptional service in their French restaurant. The location is great, they have a Beach Service (that provides you with chairs, towels and a security guard for your belongings). Please be advised that it is better to ask the concierge if the service is working (as I understood it operates during good/sunny weather). The pools are rather small 1 meter and 1,2 meters in depth. We didn't use the massage room, so no comments about it, but I did get an impression that they have only one person during the massage, as we didn't manage to book a massage for us as a couple at the same time.
The concierge service is ok, but they did forget to call us back once and we did have to wait twice for about 20-30 minutes for our tours (but this is not the fault of the hotel - it was the same travel agency). The delay was explained to be due to heavy traffic...
Laundry/dry-cleaning was very professional, they if took out a tiny stain that I had on my suit and that I didn't show them.
Housekeeping wasn't on the best level - we left the sign "Please, make up our room" a few times at breakfast and didn't get it serviced until late in the afternoon.
Overall, I have a good impression of the hotel and the staff (especially the staff) and I would definitely recommend this hotel if you decide to visit Rio.

2  Thank mekvn
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

I thank you for your feedback. Am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana and that you appreciated the friendliness of our team and our restaurants.
I am sorry to hear that your room was not cleaned in the morning, when asked. I will certainly pass your feedback onto the Executive Housekeeper.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon, allowing to create some more magnifique memories in Rio de Janeiro.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2012

For an international city with such appeal, beauty and miles of spectacular beaches, one would expect to be "wowed" by hotels in Rio. Not so. I own a travel company, and recently inspected several hotels. Since my only prior experience was at Caesar Park in Ipanema (which - aside from its location - is mostly disappointing), I looked forward to staying at the Sofitel. My impression: it's better than many others in the city - which isn't saying much.

What I liked: the balcony (many hotels don't have them); the view (although the view from many of the rooms is probably not very good); the location (at the confluence of Copacabana and Ipanema); shower (great rainshower); comfortable bed (with pillow menu) ...

What was just okay: breakfast (nothing special - but the fruit was wonderful); room size (smallish - but you don't get big rooms in Rio); service (no complaints - but nothing was stellar); ...

What I didn't like: first impression: nothing about the hotel give you a sense of place; it's dark and corporate-like; nothing is bright and colorful (as you'd expect from such a colorful city); lobby ceiling is low; staff uniforms are brown ...

My room was complimentary, but the rates (like everywhere in Rio) are outrageous. Still, Rio is one of the most beautiful and compelling cities in the world!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's oriented toward Copacabana - not the other direction.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Marilyn M

Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will certainly assist me in improving our overall service level.
I am glad, however, that you enjoyed our great location and room.
I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.