“Service Could Be Better”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #71 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
South Florida, Florida
“Service Could Be Better”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I checked in for a month's stay and was told that I would be signed up for the loyalty program.
This was not done and I have missed an entire month's worth of credit.
This has soured me on SOFITEL, and I have been using another brand since.

Also, there are issues with the water. It goes from freezing to scalding and back again. Be careful in the shower.

The 9th floor dining are is wonderful, but only open to guests on the 8th floor.
Do not criticize the 8th floor concierge, she is not too friendly.

Room Tip: Most rooms are too small for two persons,
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Brendan L
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Please send us your loyalty card number and we will be glad to credit you.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please feel free to contact me directly with your feedback at sofitelrio@sofitel.com. This would certainly assist me in improving our overall service level.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Very good room, service, the consierge is very good, and the breakfast is very good with a lot of diferent kinds of food.

• Stayed July 2012
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon, allowing to create some more Magnifique memories in Rio de Janeiro.

With my best regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great hotel. Very fancy with an excellent view of Copacabana Beach. Very nice rooms and the breakfast was very good. French Press coffee is always great to have in the morning. Service staff is very helpful. There is a taxi stand right next to the hotel if you don't want to pay for a private car from the hotel. Excellent stay. A little expensive but to be honest, you are directly on Copacabana Beach so if you expected it to be cheap I would say you have unrealistic expectations of international travel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
Indeed Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is ideally located and I am glad to hear that you felt the staff was very nice and helpful.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

It is for sure in a great location and sub-par with other Sofitel hotels. The rooms are everything that she describes, tired and old - although ours didn't smell too bad. Food was good and the bed was really comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traveller7780
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you enjoyed our great location, the food and the exclusive MyBed.

I am sorry, however, to hear that the hotel did meet your expectations. Linda and your feedbacks will certainly assist me in improving our overall service level.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

A great hotel in a great location. Public areas are wonderful and pools are placed well to make the most of the sun, although a bit small for fitness swimmers. It is at the fort end of Copacabana so you can easily walk to Ipanema from there.
If you can get a sea view then you will have a wonderful vista of the whole beach and sugarloaf.
There aren't many good hotels in Rio, but this is one of them.
Copacabana is also expensive so you will need to be prepared to pay for this level of accommodation.

Room Tip: I didn't see the mountain view but sea views are truly stunning.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank FireballXL1
Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
I hope to welcome you back soon at our hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Great location, doesn't have the same standards of other Sofitel hotels in the world. The rooms are tired, old & have a bad smell. Buffet breakfast is really good and so too are the other dining areas.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank L_12_10
Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

Indeed, we are ideally located and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room. I will certainly pass your feedback onto the Executive Housekeeper. We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service; I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove this to you when you next visit Rio de Janeiro.

With my best regards,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We were to stay at a hotel in Impanema but it was dirty when we arrived. We quickly called the travel agent and found the Sofitel which was rated 5 stars and had all the amenities we were looking for. Our ocean view room was back in a corner and you could not see the ocean whil in the bed really. It was a strech to call it ocean view unless you were on the balcony (513), I believe. The dinner we had there was great. The room was nice but you could begin to see some wear on the desk chair and around the room, but it was clean and comfortable. The negatives were the charge for breakfast. We also asked for late check out as we were not leaving until 6:45pm. We were told we could use the gym facilities to shower after 12 noon check out. I called down and asked if we could pay to stay in the same room until 3 pm. Miraculously the room could be bought for 375 Reals for 3 hours. When I went down to sign the agreement the girl (Amanda) told us it was unneccessary to pay for an hour past their usual late check out of 2pm What a wonderful surprise.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that look directly to the beach, not the rooms with a partial beach view. They cos...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank canddlove
, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you enjoyed our restaurant.

I am sorry, however, to hear that your room did meet your expectations. I remain at your disposal to discuss more about the matter through the email sofitelrio@sofitel.com.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.