“Fantastic position”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #76 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We had three rooms at the sofitel for our family of 6. The two standard rooms were good, clean, well equipped but nothing amazing. The kids were in a suite overlooking copacabana beach which was amazing! It was very spacious and had the most incredible views, with butler service, free drinks and loads of space. The breakfasts are on the first floor overlooking the beach and are great. The hotel has two pools(to capture both the morning and afternoon sun) and a great fitness centre. The position is really good, it s down the end of the beach so a short walk to ipanema beach and which I think have the best places to eat and shop. The hotel is really good and i would recommend it, but the experience was made even better because of the kids suite, a very expensive upgrade because they could not fit three beds in a room

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for recommending Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.

I am pleased to know that you made the most of your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you and your family back in order to create more Magnifique memories in Rio de Janeiro.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,377)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We spent three nights in a superior room, 8th floor, which brings (to our surprise) many benefits such as snacks and drinks and special check-in and out, etc. This means I can't comment on the other rooms, which some reviewers seem not to have been too happy about.
Overall, we were delighted with what we got and intend to return.
The room was not large but was very comfortable (Sofitel have excellent beds so we slept very well) and, I'm happy to say, pretty quiet. Service from everyone (and I mean everyone) we met was great. Breakfast was excellent (another reviewer here found it only average - which makes me wonder what people want) with fruits, juices, bread, freshly cooked eggs/omelets, etc. And the view at breakfast is stunning - and I've lived in Rio so I'm kind of used to it, but this was great.
We're Sofitel fans, having stayed in several round the world and mostly found them very good. This one didn't let us down and we'd recommend it. Not cheap by any means (at least in the rooms we booked) but we wanted quality relax time after a stressful week and found it.
Location is excellent too of course.
Shortly before this we stayed at Windsor Asturias in Rio (I have reviewed that hotel too). How the Asturias can be rated higher than Sofitel on this site is a real mystery to me and a reminder that even on tripadvisor, you need to check things out beyond just the numerical listing.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeffStranks
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for recommending Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.

Indeeed, we are in an excellent location and I am glad to hear you made the most of your stay.

I hope to welcome to back very soon in the Marvelous City.

With my warmest regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I checked in for a month's stay and was told that I would be signed up for the loyalty program.
This was not done and I have missed an entire month's worth of credit.
This has soured me on SOFITEL, and I have been using another brand since.

Also, there are issues with the water. It goes from freezing to scalding and back again. Be careful in the shower.

The 9th floor dining are is wonderful, but only open to guests on the 8th floor.
Do not criticize the 8th floor concierge, she is not too friendly.

Room Tip: Most rooms are too small for two persons,
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Brendan L

I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Please send us your loyalty card number and we will be glad to credit you.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please feel free to contact me directly with your feedback at sofitelrio@sofitel.com. This would certainly assist me in improving our overall service level.

Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Very good room, service, the consierge is very good, and the breakfast is very good with a lot of diferent kinds of food.

• Stayed: July 2012
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon, allowing to create some more Magnifique memories in Rio de Janeiro.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great hotel. Very fancy with an excellent view of Copacabana Beach. Very nice rooms and the breakfast was very good. French Press coffee is always great to have in the morning. Service staff is very helpful. There is a taxi stand right next to the hotel if you don't want to pay for a private car from the hotel. Excellent stay. A little expensive but to be honest, you are directly on Copacabana Beach so if you expected it to be cheap I would say you have unrealistic expectations of international travel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
Indeed Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is ideally located and I am glad to hear that you felt the staff was very nice and helpful.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

It is for sure in a great location and sub-par with other Sofitel hotels. The rooms are everything that she describes, tired and old - although ours didn't smell too bad. Food was good and the bed was really comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveller7780
Sofitel-Rio, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you enjoyed our great location, the food and the exclusive MyBed.

I am sorry, however, to hear that the hotel did meet your expectations. Linda and your feedbacks will certainly assist me in improving our overall service level.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

A great hotel in a great location. Public areas are wonderful and pools are placed well to make the most of the sun, although a bit small for fitness swimmers. It is at the fort end of Copacabana so you can easily walk to Ipanema from there.
If you can get a sea view then you will have a wonderful vista of the whole beach and sugarloaf.
There aren't many good hotels in Rio, but this is one of them.
Copacabana is also expensive so you will need to be prepared to pay for this level of accommodation.

Room Tip: I didn't see the mountain view but sea views are truly stunning.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank FireballXL1

Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
I hope to welcome you back soon at our hotel.