“Great Location, spacious rooms, excellent location!!”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema
Ranked #36 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
NYC
“Great Location, spacious rooms, excellent location!!”
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Caesar Park was a great hotel!!! The first thing I noticed in the rooms were the bathrooms. I am very picky about space in the bathroom because I hate feeling like I can spin in a circle and touch everything. The bathrooms were excellent!!!! However, word to the wise, do not charge ANYTHING to your room!!!! One phone call to the U.S. for 6 minutes was over $80!!!! The hotel staff was very friendly with arranging activities, answering questions, and making your stay comfortable. They also can recommend places to eat (Porcao) and places to party (HELP). The gym had exceptional views of the ocean and mountains. The view was probably the best view from the hotel. The hotel was great because of the location and it was fairly cheap to take a taxi to the clubs and hippie markets which are located in Copacabana. I went to celebrate my boyfriend's 29th birthday and we are used to staying up all night because we are from NYC (Queens!). Don't waste your money eating at the hotel because there are far more places that are a lot cheaper right around the corner.

Another great thing about the hotel is that when you get ready to go to the beach, the hotel has a beach bag in the room for you in the closet. Once you get to the beach across the street, there are staff waiting to get your chairs, towels, and umbrellas ready for you. It was an excellent hotel stay and if you can afford it, I believe that it is worth the money.

The only complaint that I have is about the sheets. The bed was comfortable but the sheets felt stuffy (that probably doesn't make any sense but I can't describe it). Anyway, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The bathroom and cleanliness
  • Disliked — The pool is tiny!! I think it was 3.8 feet!!! I think it is just for looks
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cslane79
Marie-Bérengère C, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this review, 19 May 2016
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Caesar Park Rio de Janeiro managed by Sofitel, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive improve to continuously the quality of our services.

Marie Berengere Chapoton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Barbados
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We just returned from five days in Rio just before the Pan American Games and the city was at its best. We thought long and hard about whether to stay on the Copa side or the Ipanema side. In choosing the Caesar Park Hotel right in the middle of Ipanema beach at Postal 9 - we made a great choice. What Ipamema gives you that Copa does not is an off-the beach experience few cities can provide. Here you are 1-5 blocks off the great beach and you are surrounded by tree-lined and shady side streets with outdoor cafes, patisseries, coffee shops, fruit juice bars, and shops galore - mixed with great homes, offices and high rises. Walking the streets is very safe and comfortable with something of interest on every block. Five or six blocks from the beach you run into the lago (lake) and it provides a 5-mile loop for walking, running or cycling that is just marvelous - complete with mile markers the entire way.

The Caesar Park is very chic and comfortable with a few restaurants and bars and a nice roof top fitness center. The rooms are spacious and clean and well apointed - with working technology. My only compaint is the morning breakfast buffet that ran me US$34 and was worth $15. Beacuse of that we went out for our meals the rest of the week and we are glad we did as we found fantastic cafes that we just fell in love with.

The people are friendly in Ipanema and there is absolutely nothing more delightful than walking along the beach and seeing all the people. Their activity and level of fitness, fun and joy makes this spot a must to go visit and tour.

I would recommend the Caesar Park and after travelling to 83 countries world wide - I know my hotels. Just have breakfast at nearby Alessandro & Federico instead of the hotel buffet!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet Service had to be purchased every 24 hours
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank olympvs

Richmond, California
Reviewed 6 July 2007

I checked myself into the Caesar Park Ipanema hoping for a relaxing and restful week of luxury and I was not disappointed. It is a gorgeous hotel with fantastic amenities. The pool is really small and you can't actually swim in it but the fantastic gym on the top floor with 3 windowed walls providing an incredible view of Rio makes up for it. The concierge was very helpful, the bar/restaurants were great, room service was excellent. My only complaint is that my friend and I only used our credit cards at the same place one time while we were in Rio, and that was at this hotel. A couple of days later we both started getting fraudulent charges. I can't say for sure that the hotel staff did it, but it sure seems as though someone sold or used our credit card information. I would recommend staying here but use a credit card you're not attached to and keep an eye on the charges when you get home!

Stayed December 2006
5 Thank elle13579

Peru
Reviewed 4 July 2007

Mye experience at this hotel was about the same experience I get in decent business hotels around the world. Which for me it is just fine. I went to Rio for business, and my meetings where all around the Ipanema area, so I was pretty happy.

The breakfast on the top floor is a good one, and the view form the breakfast room ( and the gym) is amazing. The room was OK, nothing amazing, but clean. The view of my room on the fifth floor was of the builiding next door, but I came to Rio to work, not to watch the view.

The location is great, in the middle of the nicest beach in one of the world's most beutiful cities. Instead of using the gym, I jogged near the beach every night, whcih is an amazing experience.

The area is "safe". I put the quotes around safe because like any tourist area, there are some unsavory characters walking about, that you have to be aware of. Make sure not to wear fancy jewelery or watches.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Arie-Mordejai

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 17 June 2007

Rio’s reputation for being home to hotels that are consistently over-priced and under-delivering does not excuse the Caesar Park’s effort here - a chain such as this should simply know better. The location is of course excellent but sadly this, together with the elaborate Saturday feijoado (reportedly the best in town), are just about the only commendable features. The hotel is desperately tired and hugely overdue for the refurbishment that is seemingly now in course (a shame, however, that we were not informed about this at the time of making our booking – we had not banked on being immersed in a building site early on weekend mornings, nor finding guest lifts selfishly monopolised by contractors). The staff seem equally out of sorts – three separate requests, and two abortive visits to empty rooms, were for example required to ascertain where the hotel was serving its own meals. Furthermore, we were disappointed to find ourselves overcharged at check-out, scandalously being billed for items that we had previously settled in cash during our stay. I am told by a regular business visitor that the Marina Suites down the road is far superior, but cannot vouch for this with personal experience.

• Liked — Saturday feijoado, location
  • Disliked — Just about everything else
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mayfair Ranger
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Caesar Park Rio de Janeiro, I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore, your feedback is very important to us.

Please rest assured that we are acting appropriately to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better you in the near future.

Miami
Reviewed 20 April 2007

Right on the BEST beach in Rio. Ipanema. Very much like a Barcelona suburb but smack on the beach. Ipanema....this is where Calvin Klein, where Mario Testino, where Herb Ritts would come to shoot the flawlessly thin and cool cool (although they dont know it) ones. Copacabana is just not it. Ipanema is the location. Great restaurants, clubs, bars, stores...Leblon melds into Ipanema. Caesar Park- GREAT SERVICE, CLEAN ROOMS...ALL ROOMS have flawless views. Ask for one highest as possible to maximize the view. You pay twice as much to be facing the ocean, but in my room (2014) you faced Leblon (west) and it was PERFECT.
Clothing for Rio: bathing suit, no body fat, flip flops, and you will have a great time. (that is all they wear, btw)
NOTE: new hotel opening in a few weeks from the same chain that has that great hotel in Buenos Aires......Fasaena or something like that......looks small and well designed...."inspired" by Philippe Stark. Lots of teak and very expensive. Have fun, (Dont worry about the crime....its a good place.)

Stayed April 2007
7 Thank Ocean88

London
Reviewed 1 March 2007

I lived Rio a few years back and returned this year to visit friends. I've visited many of Rio's 5 star hotels over the years, but had never stayed in the Caesar Park. Having stayed there now I can say that Rio has far better hotels to offer than this one. Indeed compared to the other hotels this one is not just pricey, but daylight robbery.

The rooms are tired, towels and linen old/worn (our towels were frayed and the sheets had holes in), a/c is noisy/inefficient and the facilities are poor e.g. a swimming pool the size of a splash pool with less than a metre depth of water. Service is poor/variable with a some really silly ideas like full waiter service for a self service buffet breakfast. It is not child friendly with no facilites for them other than the pool. The only reason this hotel remains in business is because of its location in Ipanema. It's regarded as being slightly securer than Copacabana and has access to some more upmarket restaurants, clubs and shops.

Other than location the only other thing in the Caesar Park's favour is a well equipped gym with a fantastic view. That's about it. If you want a resort hotel think about the Sheraton at the end of Leblon or the Intercontinental in Sao Conrado which have better facilites. Otherwise the Sofitel, Marriot, and Copacabana Palace (all in Copacabana) far exceed the Caesar Park in quality and actually deserve their 5 star "luxo" ratings.

• Liked — The Gym
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family