“Beautiful but expensive American-style hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel

Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel
Ranked #125 of 280 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Northern Virginia
“Beautiful but expensive American-style hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have now stayed at four hotels in Brazil, and this was the only one of the four that could be mistaken for a nice American hotel. I had a junior suite, which included a queen bed and a sitting area separated by a swiveling TV stand. The room was very nice and clean. I did find a box of trash under the sink by the minibar (?), but no big deal. Otherwise the room was excellent. Two surprises that are not typical in Brazilian hotels or homes: a tub in the bathroom instead of just a shower, and carpet (!) in the bed half of the room.

One great surprise about the hotel was the fitness center. It was well equipped, immaculate, and inviting, much nicer than most other hotel fitness facilities I have used. The pool was gorgeous too, though it was closed at night so I was unable to use it after returning from my business activities each day.

The hotel restaurant is very expensive, but most of the restaurants in the area are nearly as expensive. I only ate breakfast at the hotel, which was a delicious buffet with cooked-to-order omelets. There are a few nice restaurants within a few blocks in both directions. I did not find a market or supermarket nearby, but those are available via a cheap taxi ride if needed.

If you're hoping to see traditional Rio--Copacabana, Ipanema, Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer, downtown, etc.--Sheraton Barra is far from all that. It will take you an hour to get to those areas by taxi, more during commute times. But if you want to get away from the traffic and relax in a less crowded area with a beautiful beach, Sheraton Barra is a great choice.

The hotel provides free Wi-Fi access in the lobby and has free Internet stations in the lobby, though look out for the Brazilian keyboard layout which makes it tricky to type. Wi-Fi is available in the rooms at an expensive rate. Internet speed was not great but about what one would expect in South America.

My only complaint about this hotel is the expense. A colleague selected this hotel. I probably would have gone with something cheaper in Copacabana or Ipanema. My room with tax was about US$500 per day, and that is for a room on the opposite end of the hotel from the beach. Breakfast was about US$30 per day, and Internet was almost US$20 per day. Yes, the hotel was nearly flawless, and yes, it was in a beautiful location in one of the world's great tourist locations. But at the rates they charge, it's pretty much impossible to get what you pay for.

That said, the service was excellent. The few times I did need to ask the desk for something, they helped me right away. They also allowed me to check out late, which was very convenient for my evening flight. The concierge found us a couple of great restaurant recommendations. I think all the desk and concierge staff speak English (though I'm not sure because I speak Portuguese).

In summary, what a wonderful, unforgettable hotel, even if it is very pricey. I highly recommend it if you have the means.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank shepshep

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in mid-March for a business trip. For a Sheraton I was very shocked at the lack of service and dinginess of the rooms, especially for almost $300 USD/night. The location - across the street from the beach - is nice, but you have to pay a BIG premium for a decent view, which I was not willing to do. The room I had was very tired and the bathroom very small and shaped weirdly - you had to wedge yourself between the wall and toilet to get in the shower.

The bed was comfortable, but I had stains on my comforter which was not switched out during my stay. The housekeeping service was inconsistent – one day they picked up my dirty towels and didn’t provide new ones. The AC worked well in the bedroom but didn't reach the bathroom at all so after a shower it was like a sauna in there. I had a nice size balcony, a sitting and kitchen area but no microwave, coffee maker or other kitchen items that might have made it useful.

The worst part of the hotel is the rude, unhelpful staff in reception and the pool side bar. My colleague and I arrived together at the normal check in time (on the weekend) after overnight flights from the US. There were originally 3 people on the desk, but as soon as the check in line started to form one of the staff disappeared, without a word, never to return. I had to wait 20 minutes just to be helped and my colleague waited at least 35 minutes to be helped - this is NOT acceptable. She also had problems with her door key not working, which resulted in 4 trips to reception and her insisting she be given a new room (and refusing to pay more for it like they tried to get her to) before she was able to settle in - 1.5 hours later!!!!

The pool is nice but the chairs and tables are old and falling apart. The food at the poolside bar is MUCH better than the main restaurant, but the wait staff are completely disorganized, and hard to chase down for service. The room service food was OK. I was very unimpressed with the main restaurant food - which was usually a buffet. The only other decent restaurant we could find within walking distance is at the Windsor hotel, a nice Italian restaurant.

I'm told that there is a hotel shortage in Rio and especially so in Barra di Tijuca area (where this hotel is located) but if you have a choice I'd recommend the Windsor hotel - the reviews are better there too!

Room Tip: Try the Windsor Hotel down the street
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mostly_business1
Clinton TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The sound of thr gently crashing waves was ever so peacefull. Fantastic view from the 15th floor balcony. Sthe satff was super and went out of their way to makle sure I had everything I needed and then some. Would stay again.

Room Tip: High floor, close to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LJulia_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank your for sharing your review in Trip Advisor.
We are all very happy that we could reach your expectations and provide you a real Sheraton Experience.
We hope to have you back soon in Rio.
Warm regards,
The Management
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Nice located in front of the beach...Typicall business place altough you always have the chance to go to the beach at the endo of the day....
Regretelly the place is in urgent requirement of some investments...and not to speak that because of Brazilian prices the ROI is absoutely not there. Rooms are smelly and resting there is more a mater of fortune.....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pasing87
Ontaria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The Sheraton Hotel tower Barra Tijuca was a huge disappointment in service and quality of faculties
At 650 USD per night a person would think that the hotel staff would be tripping over themselves to keep you happy

I arrived at 430 in the afternoon and had to wait 1.5 hours for my room to be ready, after working all day looking at equipment in 36 degree heat I returned to the hotel 5 pm and guess what again my room was not made up, so no clean towers to shower with, yesterdays room service leftover permeating the air in the room. It was just not comfortable to walk into after being in the heat working all day
The Air con could not cool the room below 24C the thermostat could be set a 5 C, but the room never went below 24 C, which made it not unbearable but uncomfortable to sleep.
Now at 650 USD per night one would think that internet would be include NOPE that is another 18 USD for 24 hours, oh YA now at 650 USD a night you would think you’d get a least a bottle of water and for the small sum of 5 USD you can have a bottle of water to make your coffee with in the morning, but bring your own milk or creamer as that is not supplied either.
Now for the real fun, I was on my way out to dinner so I stopped at the front desk to request a wakeup call. The front desk personnel wrote down my room number and the time and off I went to dinner. The following morning I was woke up by my driver franticly knocking on my hotel room door I was late as it appeared no wakeup call was initiated from the front desk. After running through the shower I picked up the phone to call the persons I was going to meet to inform them I was running late, guess what the phone in the room did not work. I reported this to the from desk and went about my business, on returning to the room at around 5 pm finding the room not cleaned and the telephone still not working I report the issues to the front desk again went and had a drink and returned to my room, this time the room was clean but the phone still did not work and was never fixed over my 2 day stay.
I would not recommend this hotel to business travelers

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank OFTOilFieldTrash
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Completely disapointed with this hotel from Sheraton Starwood. We booked for an executive suite $475 per night plus SPG for an upgrade that never occurred, no access to Club level . Room smells terrible and there is moho inside the room. We both suffer from allergy, it is impossible to rest on this kind of room. Nobody from guest relations did anything to solve the problem. We talked to more than 5 different people on this issue with no action from them. AC was unoperative for the whole resort, the still working on it.

We never will back to a Sheraton - Starwood property.

Room Tip: Please, do not trust on hotel's website pics to chose your room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jose M
LJulia_ShBarra, On behalf of General Manager at Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is really important to us to know all opinions regarding our service.
Unfortunately, we had an unexpected breakdown in our air conditioning system during some days, making the temperature unstable and higher than the ideal.
This incident intensified the humidity in the room, as the air conditioning helps to dry the air when working properly. The air conditioning issue is already solved and we will purchase dehumidifier devices to install in the more affected rooms.
We apologize for the discomfort caused and for the unhelpful staff attitude.
The experience you had is not a quality service expected from a Starwood hotel, and we hope to have a chance to receive you back and demonstrate the real Sheraton service.
Kind regards,
The Management,

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

north england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked a three night stay , minimum allow during the carnival period at a huge inflated cost . We expected the normal Sherton standard but now at a Loss to know why Sheraton would put their name to such an awful hotel, it degrades the brand name. We booked a club room which was dirty(especially the bathroom) and had shabby furniture but the worst problem was the rank smell of mould . It really is very over powering. We tried three different rooms but they were all the same . We stayed out of the room as long as possible but after the first night and damage to my health( I had asthma attack ) we were forced to find alternative accommodation which was difficult and expensive (carnival time) . We asked that due to the room condition if we could have a refund for the two remaining nights , we got an abrupt NO and that was it. It turned out that the mould problem is well known to the staff and nobody seemed surprised by it and despite previous comments on tripadvisor by management the problem has not been resolved !!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Hermia01
LJulia_ShBarra, On Behalf of General Manager at Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all we thank you for giving your feed back through Trip Advisor. For us all guests comments are really important when it is about to improve our service.
Regarding the room odor, we would like to explain that Rio de Janeiro is a very humid city. This humidity was overrunning some guestrooms through the large glass door of the balconies, which, in contact with the lower inside temperature, due to air-conditioning, it was causing the unpleasant ambience smell. Therefore, aiming to exterminate that, we are in the process of installing a sensor which automatically shuts down the air-conditioning when the door is open. With this device installed we will reduce the humidity in the rooms.
We apologize for the inconvenience experienced in our hotel. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back and could offer you the Sheraton service as expected
Warm regards,