I have now stayed at four hotels in Brazil, and this was the only one of the four that could be mistaken for a nice American hotel. I had a junior suite, which included a queen bed and a sitting area separated by a swiveling TV stand. The room was very nice and clean. I did find a box of trash under the sink by the minibar (?), but no big deal. Otherwise the room was excellent. Two surprises that are not typical in Brazilian hotels or homes: a tub in the bathroom instead of just a shower, and carpet (!) in the bed half of the room.
One great surprise about the hotel was the fitness center. It was well equipped, immaculate, and inviting, much nicer than most other hotel fitness facilities I have used. The pool was gorgeous too, though it was closed at night so I was unable to use it after returning from my business activities each day.
The hotel restaurant is very expensive, but most of the restaurants in the area are nearly as expensive. I only ate breakfast at the hotel, which was a delicious buffet with cooked-to-order omelets. There are a few nice restaurants within a few blocks in both directions. I did not find a market or supermarket nearby, but those are available via a cheap taxi ride if needed.
If you're hoping to see traditional Rio--Copacabana, Ipanema, Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer, downtown, etc.--Sheraton Barra is far from all that. It will take you an hour to get to those areas by taxi, more during commute times. But if you want to get away from the traffic and relax in a less crowded area with a beautiful beach, Sheraton Barra is a great choice.
The hotel provides free Wi-Fi access in the lobby and has free Internet stations in the lobby, though look out for the Brazilian keyboard layout which makes it tricky to type. Wi-Fi is available in the rooms at an expensive rate. Internet speed was not great but about what one would expect in South America.
My only complaint about this hotel is the expense. A colleague selected this hotel. I probably would have gone with something cheaper in Copacabana or Ipanema. My room with tax was about US$500 per day, and that is for a room on the opposite end of the hotel from the beach. Breakfast was about US$30 per day, and Internet was almost US$20 per day. Yes, the hotel was nearly flawless, and yes, it was in a beautiful location in one of the world's great tourist locations. But at the rates they charge, it's pretty much impossible to get what you pay for.
That said, the service was excellent. The few times I did need to ask the desk for something, they helped me right away. They also allowed me to check out late, which was very convenient for my evening flight. The concierge found us a couple of great restaurant recommendations. I think all the desk and concierge staff speak English (though I'm not sure because I speak Portuguese).
In summary, what a wonderful, unforgettable hotel, even if it is very pricey. I highly recommend it if you have the means.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located between the ocean and mountains in the city’s most modern neighborhood, Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel is surrounded by extensive lakes, stunning beaches and the exuberant Atlantic Forest. With modern design and impeccable decoration, Sheraton Barra offers 292 spacious guestrooms and suites, all with private balconies and overlooking the ocean. For your relaxation, Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel offers 2 outdoor pools, one for adults and another for children, an international cuisine restaurant, Fitness Center with modern workout devices, open-air hot tubs, dry and steam saunas, a squash court, playground and beach service. Located in the middle of a thriving garden is the Vila Spa, - with 5 bungalows for body treatments and exclusive bath rituals and massages that ensure a harmonious balance between body and mind. For all types of events, the Hotel offers 9 event rooms that hold up to 400 people, with all the required equipment infrastructure and technology, in addition to an experienced team of professionals to provide support for corporate or social events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and TravelUp so you can book your Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Barra Hotel And Suites
- Sheraton Barra Hotel Barra Da Tijuca
- Sheraton Rio De Janeiro
- Rio De Janeiro Sheraton
- Sheraton Barra Rio De Janeiro Hotel Brazil