“lovely classice”

Belmond Copacabana Palace
Ranked #3 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 19 April 2011

great service, great architecture, lovely pool. pricey cocktails by the pool but to be expected. feels old school and lovely. note that this beach is not that best beach in rio and if you want to be able to walk to dinner, find another hotel, but it really is a classic experience if you don't mind a taxi. all the hip restaurants and bars are in ipanema and leblon tho...

roof top tennis court is in great shape, very nice and they bring you water and towels when playing!

Room Tip: ocean view worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank savvytruereview
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting you comments following your stay with us.

I was extremely pleased to read your kind comments and I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Belmond Copacabana Palace

Reviewed 14 April 2011

I had booked a room through Expedia; the hotel didn't much like that, and the woman at reception was quite unfriendly at first. (If hotels don't want you to book through Expedia, they shouldn't sell rooms there.) I wanted an extra cot because a friend joined us unexpectedly. The clerk resisted, but finally said they would put a cot in the room -- but we would have to wait. So we didn't get a room till after 7 p.m. (They did give us free drink by the pool while we waited.)

There were only two towels in the room (for three guests), so I called housekeeping and was told they would deliver another towel. We went to dinner, returned at 10:30 p.m. No towel. I called housekeeping; they promised to deliver towel. At 11:10 I called again, and said I would come get a towel because we wanted to go to bed. The housekeeping manager delivered a towel. The problem, apparently, was that our room was on a floor that was filled with people from Fox films, who were there for the premiere of the new animated film, "Rio." The film people seemed to think that the corridors were part of their rooms. Equipment everywhere. Noise till all hours of the night, and starting again at 6 a.m. On the second day, housekeeping still had not come to our room by 7 p.m. (apparently blocked by the film people). I went to front desk to ask if we could get a different room. Same clerk as the night before. I explained the noise and the lack of housekeeping. She was VERY helpful, and put us into a suite on an upper floor at no extra charge. The next three days, the service could not have been better. Excellent food, excellent swimming pool. The staff were very pleasant and called me by name. Wonderful location, across the street from the beach; the hotel has great lounge cots on the beach, towel service, water, etc.

After the first night, I was ready to write a scathing review. But they made up for it, and I will definitely go back there on my next trip to Rio.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Clackman
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Great location and great atmosphere of old fashioned hotel. Furniture and appearance of inside amenities look as antique. High ceilings and carpets in my ocean front suit really impressed. Fantastic view over Capacabana beach and Atlantic. Bathroom is rather tidy but clean and nice. Food is great especially fruits and Brazilian specialties. Vine is overpraised - 50 Euro per glass of Italian Rose looks strange. Making a bad in the evenings is scheduled too late and I had to chase cleaning lady doing so.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank N0rth
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Copacabana Palace.

We hope you had a pleasant visit.

As we continuously try to improve the quality of our standards, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write to us with your views.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 5 April 2011

Fantastic! I love it. If you go to Rio, you must stay there. The only bad point is the price, very expensive

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Copacabana Palace

Please also be assured that I have passed your very kind comments to all of the staff concerned.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Copacabana Palace

Reviewed 10 March 2011

The Copacabana Palace is a world class iconic hotel managed by the excellent Orient Express hotel company. By Brazilian standards this is a 5 star hotel - the best in Rio. But by international standards the Copacabana Palace is a top notch 4 1/2 star property..

The good:

Excellent service provided by a very well trained and genuinely enthusiastic staff. Most staff members speak English fluently to moderately well which is a genuine luxury in Rio de Janeiro.

Housekeeping was excellent. Very detailed room servicing and the room was very well prepared twice per day.

Front desk and Concierge services were excellent. The concierge dining and Carnaval celebration recommendations were ideal. There are a few Clefs d'or "gold keys" concierge behind the desk at the Copacabana Palace and they are an invaluable asset to the hotel.

We stayed in the annex wing in an oceanview / poolview suite and our friend had an "avenue view" city view suite. For $1,060 USD per night the suite was spacious and nicely appointed. Was it worth $1,060 USD per night? In Paris, New York or London it would be a great deal. Rio de Janeiro is now a very expensive city due to the appreciation of the Brazilian Real against the USD. The hotel provides ok value for money - not good value - but acceptable given the devaluation of the USD against the Brazilian Real.

The "Avenue View" city view suites are 1/2 the price and are spacious and well appointed. However the view is of tenement / apartment blocks and is not attractive. If you're on a budget these suties are a good option.

We did see a suite in the main historic building with very high ceilings and lots of historic charm. However the poolview suites in the annex wing are much nicer and have better views.

Food and beverage is extremely expensive even by 5 star international hotel standards. Poolside menu and food quality are very poor and completely unacceptable. The menu is awful, extremely overpriced and the food quality is shockingly poor.

Breakfast buffet is ample and the hotel has an excellent pastry chef. Egg station and waffle station. Nice selecton of breakfast foods with excellent service.

Lunch buffet is overpriced and mediocre. Carnaval day we had brunch and it was approximately $500 USD for three persons. Outrageous for ordinary food; it was simply not worth the price charged.

Cipriani, the signature dining venue, has a wonderful menu and is a gorgeous dining venue. Other guests raved about the food and service. I'm sure it is wonderful but we did not have the proper wardrobe so didn't experience Cipriani. It's undoubtably the most formal dining venue in Rio de Janeiro. Breathtakingly expensive and I'm certain it's worth every Real.

Gym and spa are relatively new and 5 star quality. Very nice facility.

Why is this hotel not a genuine 5 star by international standards? Carpets in public areas and hallways need replaced. The exterior of the hotel needs a good scrub and painting. Food and beverage needs a bit of attention. Charging for Nespresso coffee capsules in a $1,060 USD per night suite is completely unacceptable. Small details like this hold the hotel back from genuine 5 star status.

However this is by miles the best hotel in Rio de Janeiro. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darrell S
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write to us with your views.

I sincerely want our guest to experience an enjoyable stay here, and feedback such as yours is vital towards accomplishing that goal. I really appreciate receiving comments, especially, suggestions on how to improve services.

Thank you for choosing the Copacabana Palace and we are looking forward to welcome you once more in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2011

We spent 4 nights in this amazing hotel. The rooms and the hotels itself were so beautiful.
There were only 2 things that we were surprised by and I would like to mention:
1. Hotels stuff speaks surprisingly bad English
2. Concierge of the hotels usually has good recommendations and helps you in any way you want; here it was either their (most of the time overpriced way or nothing).
We were looking into tour options with different companies and they wouldn't help us on this. If you don't care how much what costs and just want to enjoy the ride.... You will have no problem and you will truly enjoy the ride!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Verca00

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Copacabana Palace.

We hope you had a pleasant visit.

We are very grateful for your constructive criticism. We would like inform you that necessary action has been taken to correct the points you mentioned.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2011

This hotel is more like a resort. It is totally self-sufficient with its own restaurants, pool, tennis court, spa, etc. If you are concerned about crime in Rio, this is a great place to go and enjoy the weather and the sea, without risking getting mugged or robbed.

And if you want to see the city, the hotel will help you with a guided tour and transportation. This also drastically reduces the risk of any bad stop happening to you. I was here with my wife on our honeymoon. Since this was not just another vacation, I was pretty concerned with crime situation in Rio. Almost all of my friends and acquaintances cautioned me and told some scary stories, which made my concerns even greater.

I was glad we stayed at CP. We were able to enjoy ourselves, while adjusting to Rio and getting ready to immerse ourselves in the city life. The service is superb, but perhaps a bit over the top at times. The hotel is gorgeous, clean, and huge. The rooms are wonderful. And the location is very nice as well, although I would try to stay in Ipanema, if I got another chance to go... it's a lot more trendy than Copacabana, with more restaurants and shops.

Overall, I loved my stay... great hotel and we got used to being in the lap of luxury pretty quick. One word of caution, this is not inexpensive. And some things, like dining options are pretty pricey for the rather pedestrian manu they offer. We shelled out the cash because this was our honeymoon, and even then we got our package at a reduced rate through a special offer.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Masyunya

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Copacabana Palace.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our services, it is pleasing to receive such comments as your and to know that we are caring for our guest properly.

I do hope you will not leave it too long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Copacabana Palace.

My best wishes to you.