“A great time to go to Rio! The best I have seen it in years” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Copacabana Palace

Belmond Copacabana Palace
Ranked #4 of 280 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
“A great time to go to Rio! The best I have seen it in years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

My husband is Brazilian and we go to Brazil often. I have been to Rio maybe 20 times, but I had not been there recently since we had kids, so I was a bit worried about how Rio would be for a family. Our kids are 7 and 4. I am very safety conscious and a worry wart.

We decided to stay at the Copacabana Palace, even though in the past Copacabana beach has been much seedier than Ipanema. The Copacabana Palace has an amazing pool and open space (hard to find in Rio) and great beach service, both of which we thought would be good for our kids.

I was incredibly happy we decided to stay in Copacabana. There has been a total transformation of the beachfront since I was last there 5-6 years ago. Copacabana is so clean and button uped. I am not sure where they put the prostitutes and other surly folks who used to hang around (everywhere!), but they are for the most part gone and I felt totally safe walking with my kids all along the beach. The are installing new kiosks to buy food (presumably in anticipation of the World Cup and Olympics) and the beach looks great. The police presence is literally block by block during the day and there is just an overall feeling that they have staked a claim on this part of time to make it safe to walk, run, shop, play, etc. I still would not wear your diamonds or take tons of pictures with your $1000 camera, but that is just me, why ask for trouble?

We heard from many Cariocas (people who were born in Rio) that the police crack down in the favelas has made a huge improvement on crime in Rio and we would have to agree.

The Copacabana Palace is always a treat. The breakfast by the pool in the morning is one of the most relaxing wonderful ways to start your day. The staff is always accommodating and great with the kids. The pool service (for food) could have been a bit better, seemed a bit understaffed there when the pool got busy, but overall just a wonderful time. The tower has suite rooms, but they were just soo expensive that we took a regular room in the main part of the hotel and just stuffed all of us in it. The rooms in the main hotel are not huge, but they are beautifully done with good bathrooms and great mattresses and linens. Not to mention fabulous views if you are facing the ocean.

Note that Rio is very expensive with the weak dollar. Ouch! But, this is a great time to go and don't worry a bit about taking the kids. Also, do not miss the art fair in General Ursorio Square on Sundays or the Bossa Nova (a great smoothie) from a sweet little cafe just a block from the Copacabana Palace called La Fiducia Cafe. Great breakfast, lunch or break spot.

Enjoy it. Rio just has something that makes is special, even despite its traditional issues, however right now I think you have all the pluses and few minuses (expensive). Rio is truly a wonderful city right now, I hope that stays that way for a long time!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Americanbrazilian
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Copacabana Palace Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations .

Andréa Natal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

I have been to Rio several times and each time have stayed at a different hotel (Fasano, Hotel Santa Teresa and now the Copacabana Palace). The Copacabana Palace is by far the worst and I won't stay there again. The lobby is unimpressive, the rooms are small and dated and the staff are pretentious and rude. I have never been treated so rudely by the staff at a 5* hotel...they act like they are better than their guests.

Considering the prices at the Fasano and Hotel Santa Teresa are similar, I would pick one of those hotels, which both offer outstanding service and great design. At the Copacabana Palace, you are paying a lot for the history attached to this place, but not much else.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank diamondsnowball
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Copacabana Palace Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Copacabana Palace Hotel, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I can genuinely say that staying here was a highlight of Rio for me, I stayed for nearly a week and it started to feel like home. from the second I arrived everyone from the doorman to the receptionist, spa staff, pool staff, all were so friendly and accommodating.

It really is a charmingly old school place with real character, it is a shame they can't transport the whole place to Ipanema in some ways!

Highlights included the breakfast, the lovely staff, the pool, the beach area with gratis water and fruit, and the bed was so large and comfortable, although the AC isn't as modern and reactive as it could be.

Now for the cons - it sounds obvious to say, but the hotel is surely the most expensive I've encountered in terms of basics. I balked at the food prices!! Much more expensive than anything I've ever paid for in a 5* in Europe!

I also had to contend with a really trying incident concerning an iron - sounds like a joke. In every hotel I've ever stayed in you call houskeeping you get an iron and board within a few minutes. On the one day I needed one I had to call 3 times and it took 6 hours to get one. I called at 10am so I could iron a dress for 12.30, by 11 I had to leave the room so I requested it be ready in the room for midday. At 12.15 I got back only to find out that it didn't work. Frustrated I called HK and said I needed one in 5 minutes. Never turned up. Called for a replacement at 2pm for that evening, got it for 5pm. Upon checking out it turned out that not only does the Palace charge you for borrowing an iron, but they charge you for one that doesn't actually work. Really quite unacceptable for a hotel of this calibre. This episode and how difficult it is to get attentive service in the evening are the only reasons I didn't give 5 for service. Someone responsible for staff/service needs to get to Asia asap to learn about impeccable and reactive service. The hotel staff have the warmth and personality they just need to be more efficient!

Other than that the establishment is beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again (but I'll take a travel iron and save myself the time and money and buy a few caiprinhas instead :)).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sasswoir
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 16 June 2011

Copacabana Palace
savvytruereview
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

great service, great architecture, lovely pool. pricey cocktails by the pool but to be expected. feels old school and lovely. note that this beach is not that best beach in rio and if you want to be able to walk to dinner, find another hotel, but it really is a classic experience if you don't mind a taxi. all the hip restaurants and bars are in ipanema and leblon tho...

roof top tennis court is in great shape, very nice and they bring you water and towels when playing!

Room Tip: ocean view worth it!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank savvytruereview
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting you comments following your stay with us.

I was extremely pleased to read your kind comments and I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

I had booked a room through Expedia; the hotel didn't much like that, and the woman at reception was quite unfriendly at first. (If hotels don't want you to book through Expedia, they shouldn't sell rooms there.) I wanted an extra cot because a friend joined us unexpectedly. The clerk resisted, but finally said they would put a cot in the room -- but we would have to wait. So we didn't get a room till after 7 p.m. (They did give us free drink by the pool while we waited.)

There were only two towels in the room (for three guests), so I called housekeeping and was told they would deliver another towel. We went to dinner, returned at 10:30 p.m. No towel. I called housekeeping; they promised to deliver towel. At 11:10 I called again, and said I would come get a towel because we wanted to go to bed. The housekeeping manager delivered a towel. The problem, apparently, was that our room was on a floor that was filled with people from Fox films, who were there for the premiere of the new animated film, "Rio." The film people seemed to think that the corridors were part of their rooms. Equipment everywhere. Noise till all hours of the night, and starting again at 6 a.m. On the second day, housekeeping still had not come to our room by 7 p.m. (apparently blocked by the film people). I went to front desk to ask if we could get a different room. Same clerk as the night before. I explained the noise and the lack of housekeeping. She was VERY helpful, and put us into a suite on an upper floor at no extra charge. The next three days, the service could not have been better. Excellent food, excellent swimming pool. The staff were very pleasant and called me by name. Wonderful location, across the street from the beach; the hotel has great lounge cots on the beach, towel service, water, etc.

After the first night, I was ready to write a scathing review. But they made up for it, and I will definitely go back there on my next trip to Rio.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clackman
Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

Great location and great atmosphere of old fashioned hotel. Furniture and appearance of inside amenities look as antique. High ceilings and carpets in my ocean front suit really impressed. Fantastic view over Capacabana beach and Atlantic. Bathroom is rather tidy but clean and nice. Food is great especially fruits and Brazilian specialties. Vine is overpraised - 50 Euro per glass of Italian Rose looks strange. Making a bad in the evenings is scheduled too late and I had to chase cleaning lady doing so.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank N0rth
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Copacabana Palace.

We hope you had a pleasant visit.

As we continuously try to improve the quality of our standards, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write to us with your views.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

Fantastic! I love it. If you go to Rio, you must stay there. The only bad point is the price, very expensive

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Copacabana Palace

Please also be assured that I have passed your very kind comments to all of the staff concerned.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Yours Sincerely,