Belmond Copacabana Palace
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$129
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Ipanema Inn(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$109
  • Breakfast included
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
US$171
US$309
US$252
MGallery
  • Pool
Sol Ipanema Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
US$179
US$156
US$210
US$200
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$106
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Arena Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$97
Official Hotel
US$275
US$213
Orbitz.com
3,553 results
All reviewscipriani restaurantmain buildingiconic hotelgrand damepoolside restaurantpool areapool staffcity viewguest relationsbeautiful poolturn down serviceluxurious hotelfive star hotelour honeymoonconcierge deskhotel guestsbeach service
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Nice hotels in Rio are hard to come by- haven't stayed at the Fasano, but the Copa is a very nice hotel with appropriate reserved international "scene quotient". I stayed in the art deco building at behind the pool (where most corporate rates are relegated to). Room quality was excellent- not trendy or boutique, but rather restrained traditional. Room faced a noisy street in copacabana, though at night it seemed less noticeable. Two beefs though: (i) porters will not get you a normal street taxi when asked, and instead direct you to the hotel taxi's, which charge outrageous rates, and (ii) like many emerging market hotels, they don't keep small change to facilitate changes from larger bills. Room service prices are very high- but then again, prices in Brazil right now have gone a bit crazy at the nice end of the market.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Globetrekker63
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Copacabana Palace Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations .

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Front desk were so haughty it felt they were doing us a favour checking us in!
Restaurant and bar service was very poor and on too many occasions our orders were wrong and had to be returned.
Luciano was a fabuloous concierge and was the hotel's saving grace.
Very disappointing for an Orient Express luxury hotel.

Room Tip: don't pay the extra for beach view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnniebelleLondon
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We greatly appreciate your thoughts and impressions regarding our facilities and service.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Arrived to find room not ready, sorry will be an hour, please go to the pool for a complimentary beverage. Sat and waited although outside pool area only had a few people for almost 15 mintues before someone arrived. He was polite, and gave us some mixed nuts seemed nice, but they were horribly stale. 10 minutes later our drinks arrive. That was the start he appologized and came out with another bowl on mixed nuts just as stale. Complained he reached over and put his hand in our bowl and tasted one of the nuts and says yes not so good but that is all they give us. Despite the slow service we leave a generous tip after our drink and get up to go. We go to the restroom and an angry woman in a white dress is waiting for us with her arms folded and harshly asked if we were trying to leave without paying for our cocktails! Before we could even respond she goes on rapidly telling us how harshly the police treat people for leaving without paying bills and speaks of jails, etc. Finally we said we are guest s we just arrived here, she says oh is that so, may I have your room number, we said we had no room number yet and were told to go get a complimentary beverage by the pool. I was afraid she was going to grab my husband by arm as she went with us to the front desk. They apologized profusely but we let it go. Anyway now it's been almost an hour they say sorry your room is not ready. We looked around from the pool area and saw the curtains to most of the rooms were open and apparently vacant. We said OK and go across the street to the beach. Relaxed at one of the little places off the street where they serve beverages and snacks for an hour, go back sorry room is still not ready. Go to the restroom again come out and there is the same restaurant manager staring at us angrily as if we had done something wrong. We go to the front desk and ask to speak to the person in charge, they say sorry no one available now in charge. But when we asked them suddenly a room was available. We get to the room it smells musty and like mildew. Room decor looks like something out of the 70's. Fixtures in the tiniest bathroom corroded. Flush the toilet and it doesn't work. Call the front desk, they send somone an hour later and he is working on it but something is wrong and . We call the conceriege who offered us to come down for a free meal which we did and stated we would be upgraded to a new room. The food was terrible and there was the lady in the white dress the apparent restaurant manager staring us down again. Get started off with the same bowl of stale nuts. When we finished we went to the front desk and they gave us keys to the "upgraded" room which was nothing but a little larger version of the previous room with the same tiny bathroom, but still in deplorable condition for a supposed 5 star hotel that we were paying over 600 Euros a night for. Crumbs on the carpet. Food cracker wrappings in the side of the chair. We assumed they would transfer our luggage as we had not even unpacked our bags. Call the front desk. This is when we have enough. The desk clerk tells us that the staff is currently busy, do you have many bags that you cannot carry yourself?!! We will give you a key if you wish to our old room. One hour later the bags arrive. The room has a view of nothing. We decided to quit complaining but the horrible service continued and we chose to eat outside the hotel and mostly went back only to sleep. Certainly not the quaily of service you would expect of a famous 5 Start hotel such as the Copacabana palace, which I would honestly but in class of 3 to 4 start at best hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
31  Thank Katherine0318
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Copacabana Palace.

I was extremely concerned to read of your disappointing stay with us and I apologize most sincerely for the inconvenience you may have had.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further, please contact me directly here at general manager's department.

I do hope that we are able to restore your faith in our hotel and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

My husband is Brazilian and we go to Brazil often. I have been to Rio maybe 20 times, but I had not been there recently since we had kids, so I was a bit worried about how Rio would be for a family. Our kids are 7 and 4. I am very safety conscious and a worry wart.

We decided to stay at the Copacabana Palace, even though in the past Copacabana beach has been much seedier than Ipanema. The Copacabana Palace has an amazing pool and open space (hard to find in Rio) and great beach service, both of which we thought would be good for our kids.

I was incredibly happy we decided to stay in Copacabana. There has been a total transformation of the beachfront since I was last there 5-6 years ago. Copacabana is so clean and button uped. I am not sure where they put the prostitutes and other surly folks who used to hang around (everywhere!), but they are for the most part gone and I felt totally safe walking with my kids all along the beach. The are installing new kiosks to buy food (presumably in anticipation of the World Cup and Olympics) and the beach looks great. The police presence is literally block by block during the day and there is just an overall feeling that they have staked a claim on this part of time to make it safe to walk, run, shop, play, etc. I still would not wear your diamonds or take tons of pictures with your $1000 camera, but that is just me, why ask for trouble?

We heard from many Cariocas (people who were born in Rio) that the police crack down in the favelas has made a huge improvement on crime in Rio and we would have to agree.

The Copacabana Palace is always a treat. The breakfast by the pool in the morning is one of the most relaxing wonderful ways to start your day. The staff is always accommodating and great with the kids. The pool service (for food) could have been a bit better, seemed a bit understaffed there when the pool got busy, but overall just a wonderful time. The tower has suite rooms, but they were just soo expensive that we took a regular room in the main part of the hotel and just stuffed all of us in it. The rooms in the main hotel are not huge, but they are beautifully done with good bathrooms and great mattresses and linens. Not to mention fabulous views if you are facing the ocean.

Note that Rio is very expensive with the weak dollar. Ouch! But, this is a great time to go and don't worry a bit about taking the kids. Also, do not miss the art fair in General Ursorio Square on Sundays or the Bossa Nova (a great smoothie) from a sweet little cafe just a block from the Copacabana Palace called La Fiducia Cafe. Great breakfast, lunch or break spot.

Enjoy it. Rio just has something that makes is special, even despite its traditional issues, however right now I think you have all the pluses and few minuses (expensive). Rio is truly a wonderful city right now, I hope that stays that way for a long time!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Americanbrazilian

Reviewed 3 May 2011

I have been to Rio several times and each time have stayed at a different hotel (Fasano, Hotel Santa Teresa and now the Copacabana Palace). The Copacabana Palace is by far the worst and I won't stay there again. The lobby is unimpressive, the rooms are small and dated and the staff are pretentious and rude. I have never been treated so rudely by the staff at a 5* hotel...they act like they are better than their guests.

Considering the prices at the Fasano and Hotel Santa Teresa are similar, I would pick one of those hotels, which both offer outstanding service and great design. At the Copacabana Palace, you are paying a lot for the history attached to this place, but not much else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank diamondsnowball

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Copacabana Palace Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Copacabana Palace Hotel, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.