“Great place to stay, if you have money to burn”

Belmond Copacabana Palace
Ranked #3 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
New York City, New York
“Great place to stay, if you have money to burn”
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This hotel is more like a resort. It is totally self-sufficient with its own restaurants, pool, tennis court, spa, etc. If you are concerned about crime in Rio, this is a great place to go and enjoy the weather and the sea, without risking getting mugged or robbed.

And if you want to see the city, the hotel will help you with a guided tour and transportation. This also drastically reduces the risk of any bad stop happening to you. I was here with my wife on our honeymoon. Since this was not just another vacation, I was pretty concerned with crime situation in Rio. Almost all of my friends and acquaintances cautioned me and told some scary stories, which made my concerns even greater.

I was glad we stayed at CP. We were able to enjoy ourselves, while adjusting to Rio and getting ready to immerse ourselves in the city life. The service is superb, but perhaps a bit over the top at times. The hotel is gorgeous, clean, and huge. The rooms are wonderful. And the location is very nice as well, although I would try to stay in Ipanema, if I got another chance to go... it's a lot more trendy than Copacabana, with more restaurants and shops.

Overall, I loved my stay... great hotel and we got used to being in the lap of luxury pretty quick. One word of caution, this is not inexpensive. And some things, like dining options are pretty pricey for the rather pedestrian manu they offer. We shelled out the cash because this was our honeymoon, and even then we got our package at a reduced rate through a special offer.

1 Thank Masyunya
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Copacabana Palace.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our services, it is pleasing to receive such comments as your and to know that we are caring for our guest properly.

I do hope you will not leave it too long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Copacabana Palace.

My best wishes to you.

Andréa Natal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gaillard, France
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at Copacabana Palace to celebrate our honeymoon. The reason this hotel was chosen is because as working in a luxury hotel in Geneva, we had very high expectations as the hotel is considered as "the best hotel in Brazil", plus the location on Copacabana beach confirmed our choice.

However, we were to be deceived quite quickly, starting from the correspondance with the hotel prior to our departure from France. We never got an answer to a simple question adressed to the reservations department, such as are there any tourist guides they could reccommend to us to highlight our 2 days stay in Rio. Very disappointing for an establishment of this category!!!!!!!

The next problem occured when we wanted to organise a transfer from the local port to the hotel. At first the hotel, to be precise the consierge department, confirmed the total cost of the service which was quite expensive for 20 minutes drive but understandable for the luxury hotel like Copacabana Palace. We went ahead and booked the car, however when we got a confirmation email, suprisingly the price went up due to some taxes being added to the initial cost. No one actually informed us about this when the initial booking was made over the phone! Once again, innacceptable!

Then came the arrival day. Check-in really fast, however not a lot of explanation about the hotel and breakfast served as well as other facilities. As we arrived early in the morning the room wasnt ready which was fine, so the receptionist told us that we got a a complimentary upgrade considering that we were there on a honeymoon and that the room will be ready shortly. She then offered us to start using hotel swimming pool which was nice but as we had a private tour booked on this day, we left the hotel before even seeing the room which was by the way ready before we had to leave.

So here we are afterwards, coming back from our tour and the only thing we want is to chill in our "upgraded" room, especially considering that the weather temperature that day was up to +40 degrees! We go to our room and what do we see there: the bags are right in the middle or the large lounge, not even put on a baggage table like in most hotels. Next thing we see is that although the room is an upgrade, there is no sea view, in fact what they meant by an upgrade is just giving us a massive room, made out of a lounge horribly decorated and an even worse looking bedroom.....there was also a bathroom where you really need to be quite slim if you want to enter it!!! The door could not even be opened fully, it was hitting the sink and the toilet was soo close to the shower cubicle, that when you get out of the shower, you hit the toilet and the sink!!!!! Ohhh my God.......it was worse than in a budget hotel size wise!!!
Obviously, even with an upgrade we could not stay in this room as we were still paying over 700 USD per night! So we called the Reception and the shift manager promised us to find us another room but only after we had to stress the fact that one could be seriously hurt in the bathroom. Anyways, the manager says that she has a junior suite with ocean view which will be available in about an hour. Good reactivity, so we happy decided to enjoy the swimming pool (very nice indeed!!!) while waiting for the magic suite.
Forgot to mention that we got a complimentary nuts mix in a pot with a card handwritten by the Guest Services Manager which is a nice gesture but to be honest, water would be more appropriate (most world hotels, even less than 5 stars offer a complimentary water to their guests)......

So we are at the swimming pool, waiting for someone from Reception to give us the new room......1,5 hours later fed up with waiting we went to reception and apparently the room still wasnt ready and needed 1 more hour to be fully finished..ok, we go outside to get some food. Came around 9pm local time and find out that the room is JUST ready now (took 4 HOURS instead of 1 hour as told by reception)! Our bags are still in our old room and we get asked an absolutely idiotic and highly innaproppriate question "if we wanted some help with the luggage"! No comments.......! Never mind, we get to our new room, no ocean view as mentioned, just a much bigger room, nicer than the previous one and most importantly a bathroom where you can circulate with no risk! Lol.......the good thing is that there is a coffee machine and Nespresso capsules ready to be used but........IT IS NOT FREE!!!!!!!! What a joke!!!! Junior suite and you still have to pay 2 USD for a coffee capsule!

Also, very suprised not to have got the turndown service (even in a hotel in Chile, Santiago we got one!!!!!).

Basically, swimming pool and breakfast are amazing, rooms depend on which building you are in (they have 2 buildings, one of them is more modern than the other), beware of bathroom size, not practical and rather dangerous. Complain handling is quite good and professional but no respect of timing at all.

The prices they charge do not correspond to the services you get, its too expensive for what it is!

6 Thank elisaveta86
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 4 March 2011
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you were most dissatisfied with the quality of the first accommodation allocated to you, and both the quality of the room and communication in general with the hotel staff did not meet your expectations. You may be interested to know that the hotel was built in 1923, and since taking over the hotel, Orient - Express has invested a substantial amount of money in renovating rooms at the hotel, and currently 85% of our rooms are now renovated to OEH standards.
The first room you had, among others, will be completely renovate next year.

Although your stay at the Copacabana Palace proved to be an unhappy experience, I can assure you that this is not normally the case, and that the vast majority of our guests speak very highly of the hotel.
The hotel generally scores very highly in our formal inspections, and our guest satisfaction surveys convey a positive message regarding overall service standards.

I apologize however, for having failed to live up to these high standards in your case.

Yours Sincerely,

Paris, France
Reviewed 18 February 2011

This is a grand old hotel and it's great to stay in a place with such history. We got upgraded, as we arrived late, so got a really good suite, so cannot comment on the standard rooms.

Hotel was good, but was not cheap. So you pretty much get what you pay for.

If you want to use the nightclub, then you automatically get entrance as a resident. We really enjoyed that. Loved the DJ and cocktails.

Service was good as you'd expect in a 5*. The only thing that annoyed me about the hotel was that the renowned pool was not chlorinated properly, so I got sick after being in the hotel, and this affected the rest of my stay in Rio.

2 Thank bearded_scenster
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear Guest,

I was deeply surprised to read the comment above, and can assure you that whatever caused your illness in Rio, it is highly unlikely that it was caused by our swimming pool.
If there is anything at the Hotel that we really take very good care of, it is our famous swimming pool. The PH and chlorine levels of the swimming pool water are automatically controlled and checked 8 times a day by our Maintenance department. In addition to this, a third-party supplier conducts a daily audit of the water quality, and conducts monthly surveys to control algae and all forms of bacteria.
The results of these audits are available for viewing from interested parties, including guests. If you would be kind enough to forward your address I would be happy to share this information with you.
In the meantime, I do hope you have recovered from your recent illness.

Londonj
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Having moved from a b&b in Santa Teresa, I decided to splurge on our final night in Rio. I called ahead to see if there was a special rate for my company, or for journalists. They said there was, quoting me a price $30 higher than booking via their website. I booked online, paying $705 including taxes, for an ocean view room. It had a strange smell, and bathroom was a real let down (pokey and almost antique, and not in a good way). That, and an overwhelmed reception area, are my only criticisms.

The rest often left our jaws-dropping at its awesomeness. View was as promised: Copacabana beach in all its glory. Sat by the sumptuous pool, attendants bring you cold towels. Waiter brought us wrong sandwiches (bacon for Jews - not good idea!), but was so mortifyingly apologetic that I ended up feeling guilty. For me, though best part is their little area on the beach. Not only do you get sunbeds, towels and umbrellas, but eager-to-please attendants bring you water and fruit, all gratis, and with a genuine smile.

So I'm glad I stayed here (as is my missus). And if I could afford to, I surely would again.

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about your impressions.

I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your bathroom. I sincerely want our guest to experience an enjoyable stay.

Having said that, I am glad to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2011

This is a tremendous old hotel. It has a wonderful style and has been beautifully maintained. We had a room in the main building with a Romeo and Juliet balcony and a sea view. Although the hotel is large and we generally prefer the boutique type, once in our traditionally furnished and very comfortable room, it felt like our own apartment. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We loved the pool and the very comfortable sun beds, plus a pillow for our heads. The food and drinks were expensive and service at the pool bar was slow, but it was a great five days and we would return without hesitation. All in all, a very enjoyable experience. We wandered about the whole beach area and went shopping in Ipanema and never felt threated. We made an effort to blend in. No cameras, maps or guide books on show. Just be careful and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Uk-lass
fabiana_luiz, General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and considerate thoughts concerning your stay at our hotel.

I also thank you for having taken the time to write with your comments. This information provides us with valuable feedback and assists in ensuring the delivery of even better service in the future.

I sincerely want our guests to experience an enjoyable stay here with us, and feedback such as yours is vital towards accomplishing that goal.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I made a reservation through American Express Platinum Card, and have a free upgrade to a city suite, late check-out and a massage session: brillant deal between the hotel and the credit card!

The hotel is a maginificent icon from Rio de Janeiro: maravilhoso hotel na cidade maravilhosa! All the charm from the belle epoque classic hotels can be found there! Simply delightful! They take good care of all details.

I think that they can improve a little the breakfast service, considering it was a good buffet but not a great morining experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I have shared your comments with all the team and they feel really proud!

Concerning about the breakfast, necessary action has been taken to correct the points you highlighted.

We all look forward to welcome you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

dallas
Reviewed 7 February 2011

we were upgraded to a wonderful room overlooking the beach.....reception was wonderful,consierge service was excellent,breakfast buffet was good to great,the pool guys were so so,the food around the pool was overpriced,but most people did not seem to care...the hot and cold water controls in our room were difficult but i think it was an age of structure problem,,the hotel location is on the dangerous beach,but we had no problems....they have their own semi secure beach area,with their own towels,umbrellas,etc....it would be better if it were on the ipanema beach,but we enjoyed our 3 nights...they push their own "taxis" but we used the far less expensive yellow cabs...great place for old world life style,with a great pooll.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
fabiana_luiz, Gerente geral at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this review, 22 May 2011
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your thoughts and impressions regarding our facilities and service.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.