“Great location, reasonable hotel”

Pestana Rio Atlantica
Ranked #63 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Right on copabana beach and easy access to rio sights. They try hard, without really hitting the heights. Room pleasant and spacious and we were met with cocktails. Good, not great. They don't really get breakfast and what waiters should be doing. But on the plus side, they really do try hard with customer satisfaction. The terrace swimming pool bar is overpriced.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Pestana has been a total loser in terms of service and cleanliness: upon arrival, the floors were filthy (I cleaned them myself with a hand towel, which was black by the time I finshed); there apparently were no king size sheets available, so we got 2 twin sheets placed horizontaly on the bed; we had sand in the room before we ever went to the beach; towels and matress were stained; every day was a new combination of items in the bathroom: some days we got handtowels and a bath mat, other days none; toilet paper was not replaced until we called the front desk; room key stopped working 3 days out of 7; and it continues... Pestana is a business/conference hotel, and on the surface seems to live up to those standards, but housekeeping and upkeep are shockingly poor.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Pestana Rio Atlantica, part of Pestana Hotels & Resorts.

We regret to know that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We will work even harder to mantain our stardards of service.

We hope to see you again on your next stay in Rio.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Let’s be clear, the price you are paying is for beach access. I was here for 9 days, 7 of which were for a seminar. This was my third time in Brazil, so comparing a hotel in Rio to a hotel in Miami, San Diego, or another beach city is unfair. You will not get the same hotel as the culture is different. For Brazil or anywhere, I would say the conference facilities were very good.

The rooftop patio was outstanding in the view and the prices were high, but not outrageous for a rooftop patio on the beach.

The rest of the hotel was average at best. The “King” beds were two single beds next to each other. The beds were average in comfort, but I still slept well. The desk worked great and plenty of access to electric outlets. Closet space was good. The room was just lacking in space and the patio was more of a step. The room has a real plain décor. The breakfast was good, even on my 9th day. The bathroom was good. I was irritated that the front desk never had change to break R$50s and there is no ATM on site. For a near-luxury hotel, not having an ATM is unforgivable. Then again, most ATM cards don’t work in Brazil anyway. The elevators were horribly timed, having to wait at least 2 – 5 minutes almost every time. After 3 minutes, I would just take the humid stairwell. The room doors don’t close automatically, so make sure you don’t walk into your room and think the door is going to close behind you. I did though feel safe in the hotel. There is an easy crosswalk right outside the hotel at the 1200m / 2800m marker on Copacabana for a nice jog, close to Ipanema. The Wifi was decent.

Good restaurants are nearby, some very touristy and some are local. Outside the hotel it can be dicey, depending on when you go out. I felt safe during the day, but knowing that robbers with knives work in teams, I would not venture out at night by yourself unless you have to. Don’t flash money outside the hotel, wear jewelry, or show that you have a smartphone. Be as discreet as possible when going to ATMs as in Brazil, people do follow people coming out of the ATMs at times. There is an ATM about 2 blocks from the hotel.

In Brazil, I would also recommend checking your bill the day before you leave. I had some charges appear on my bill, probably by mistake, but it took about 40 minutes to resolve because I had the whole night to wait!! Had I been in a hurry to catch a flight, I would have been in a bind. This happened to me the first time I came to Rio and stayed at a hotel of a lesser quality. This was my third time in Rio. This hotel won’t overwhelm you with service, but it is a solid hotel to stay at if you are looking for a safe place with a bed and a clean bathroom.

Would I stay here again? Probably not since my reference point is the Copacabana Palace from my second time in Rio, and the prices were not that far off. If the price is right, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach facing room - my room faced a wall.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing our hotel, part of Pestana Hotels & Resorts group,

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular our conference rooms.
It is not common for hotels in Brazil to have an ATM on site, but as you mentioned, we do have many ATM options close by.
In fact, one of the advantages of this hotel is the location which is very safe and close to the best places in Rio, good restaurants and bars.
I regret to know that our elevators took so long to arrive, since normally they work very good and are well timed.

We hope to see you again on your next stay in Rio de Janeiro.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a nice hotel, with comfortable beds and nice views over the Copacabana beach. Stayed there last month and had an overall good experience, nice breakfast and great service.

The location is great, there's a pool at the top floor with a nice bar and restaurant. The food there was ok, nothing amazing though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jcpastore

Dear Guest,

Thak you for choosing our hotel for your stay
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our comfortable beds, our breakfast and our pool at the rooftop
We hope to see you again at your next stay in Rio

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Was there in Oct and it was perfect. Still Spring there so less crowded, but the weather was great! Pestana is a nice hotel...not great, but the location makes up for it! Very clean. Staff varies depending on who you get and at times the language can be a bit of a barrier, but overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Breakfast looked good but was very expensive in U.S. Funds! We opted to side outside at a restaurant...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BestBillsfan
pestana, Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your preference, and for taking your time to share your opinion with us and future travellers.
I´m very glad that you considered to be a good experience your October stay with us. Our valued guests satisfaction is our main goal.

Looking forward to welcome you again on your next visit,

Sunny Regards from Rio de Janeiro,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Do you know when you go out of a place feeling like an idiot? It was the way I left Pestana from my wedding night. We payed tooooooooooooo much for one excellent room (with a wonderful view from the Copacabana beach and a spacious and elegant room, it's true), but the cleaning of the room, the cleaning of the recreational areas, the room service, etc were horrible. First, the benefits we had as groom, even having closed a special package wedding, was almost nonexistent: just a champagne and a piece of chocolate cake (we stayed the previous night at another hotel in Sao Paulo, paying a quarter of the price and we won many extras such as slippers, champagne bowls, chocolates, bathrobe, etc), and when we were preparing to left the room, we asked the reception if we were entitled to anything, and they asked no. Besides all this, everytime we used the room service it took a long time to arrive, we had to call more than one time, without missing the lack of cleanliness. Our room had dirt marks on one of the furniture (I wanna believe it was an orange juice that fell there one day), the jacuzzi was a terrible smell of stagnant water and the water was turbid, giving the impression of dirt. Finally, the pool had dirt marks on the edge and tufts of hair. A hotel with this price and of this category can not have this kind of problems. To finish our experience, the bill came with some unauthorized charges and our car we left the day before got a flat tire. Was the worst experience I've had in terms of cost benefit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RT_CT_AV
pestana, Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for your preference, and for posting your review after your recent stay with us.
I deeply regret that we failed to achieve your expectations on your visit, you can be sure that all your appreciated remarks and comments will be fully discussed with our team. Providing to all our guests the best holiday experience is our number one priority , and experiences like you described are not part of our standards.

I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back again, and show you our real service and full commitment.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The location is right on copacabana beach which is not as good as hotspots like ipanama and Leblon beach. Prices are outrageous for the rooms provided. Twin motel type beds are pushed together in a cramped room. The beds are not even comfortable. Lunch in the hotel can be considered average. The rooftop bar with the pool can be considered a highlight if you want to go there during the day. At night it turns into a club which has one of the most extremely rude staff that our group of 43 experienced. Stay away unless you like an average place at 5 star prices.

Room Tip: Look for Odd numbered room that are on the higher floors for a view. if you get an even numbered roo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank yss1ddp
pestana, Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your preference, thank you for posting your review after your recent stay with us.I regret that we failed to achieve your expectations on your visit to Pestana Rio Atlantica.
We can be sure that our main goal is our valued guests satisfaction, all your remarks will be fully discussed with our team.

We hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back again and show you our real service and full commitment.

Kind Regards,