“Mixed reviews, not worth the money”

Pestana Rio Atlantica
Ranked #67 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

As many positives as negatives unfortunately.

Pros
The location is fantastic, the room was modern and clean, the roof top pool looks great and has amazing views, the buffet breakfast had good choice and was average quality. We had a glimpse of a sea view!!

Cons
We found the staff rather rude and not very welcoming, the room service food was not very good, the pool is in good need of a clean as are you after you get out!! Also our balcony door did not lock as the lock had been broken off. We were on a higher level, so it wasn't a major issue, but easily accessed from the next door apartment. The sauna and steam room did not work and the hot tub wasn't so hot, and again, like the pool, didn't look/feel too clean.

I had advised the hotel I was bringing my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary and they advised me they would arrange something special. They didn't arrange anything and didn't even say happy anniversary on arrival! I wasn't expecting a welcoming fanfare, but just a little personal touch would have been nice.

We arrived early and asked to check in 3 hours early. They wanted payment for this early check in, but the amount they requested was half the full rate of the room, so we were not paying that!!

This hotel has the potential to be a top rated hotel with a little bit of care and attention. Nice hotel, but definitely not worth the price paid.

We used Rio transfers to collect us from the airport as this was only $80 as opposed to $125 charged by the hotel. On the way back we took a cab and this cost $50 (all Real). We didn't feel particularly unsafe in the area, but we were cautious. We took buses to see christ the redeemer, sugar loaf and lapa steps and were fine, very easy and cheap! I would recommend the brasilian restaurant Brasilierhino just down the road.

Overall, nice hotel, just not worth the price paid. If price was lower, or if staff were nicer and the upkeep better, we would have scored this much higher.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MeetTheEdwards
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Mr. MeetThe Edwards,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Pestana Rio Atlantica as your destination, and for having taken your valuable time to comment your stay with us.

I would appreciate if you could send us your e-mail address so which we can contact you in regards to your valuable comments!

We apologize for any inconvenience which you have faced and assure you that this does not reflects our standards. Please do contact our Rooms Division Manager, Mr. Gefferson Alves on his e-mail address: Gefferson.alves@pestana.com.

We look forward in hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Director of Operations Brazil
Pestana Hotels & Resorts

Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Location:
Excellent. In midst of Copacabana, a few steps to the beach, very central, easy to recognize. It is in everybody’s mind. Just ask any taxi driver to get you to Pestana and no further indications are necessary.
Lobby:
Clean, fresh, nice design, not so inviting, but very functional
Room/View/bathroom:
We booked a luxury room with ocean view. Wich is actually a wall view, with the advantage of precluding the sun to burst into the room. You could get a tiny glimpse of the ocean, getting on the balcony an stretching out your neck to your right. But, this is usual in Rio if you want to pay reasonable prices.
Staff:
correct, friendly (not extremely), very slow in every way and sometimes a bit rude. The welcome desk is usually crowded and you might have to stand the line.
Breakfast:
more than expected, quiet assorted, food for every taste. It takes a century till you get you coffee served.
Restaurant:
Excellent, at reasonable prices, I recommend.
Terrace/pool/Gym/Spa:
The terrace is definitely the highlight of the hotel. Impressive view of Copacabana, Sugar Loaf and surroundings, especially magical at sunset. Everything very clean and nice. The pool was a delight, wouldn’t want to leave the water. The gym was small and a little bit out of date. If you like it, you can jog with ocean view. Sauna (steam-room and Finnish), very nice, spacious, clean and the jacuzzi too.
Guests:
I felt quite confortable with many brazilian, european and argentinean tourists. The hotel was a convention center, so there was a lot of movement with top businessmen and women. It provided somehow a certain elegant metropole flair.
All in all it was a very good experience, i recommend it without any doubt.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sebastian R
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Mr. Sebastian R,

We would like to thank you for staying with us at the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel and for taking the time to send us your valuable comments.

It´s always gratifying to receive feedbacks, and your kind comments will be shared with all the staff members, whom I am certain will be encouraged with your remarks.

On your next trip to our Hotel in Rio de Janeiro, please check our website Pestana.com where you will find fantastic rates with exclusives benefits for those who books via our website for our different room types, from deluxe to our presidential suite.

We do hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you back at one of our Hotels & Resorts;

Thank you again for having shared your experience with us!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel is recently upgraded and is located across the street from the beach. Lots to do in this area. The views are spectacular from the rooftop pool and bar. The spa is also great and has nice views of the mountains. The plugs in the rooms are not international and the hotel lacks adapters. I stayed at this pestana on several occasions during my travels to brazil. It is the best hotel in copa. It gets better every single time.

• Stayed: September 2013
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Mr. Edward C,

It´s always gratifying to receive positive feedback, and your kind comments will be shared with all the staff members, whom I am certain will be encouraged with your remarks.

On your next trip to our Hotel in Rio de Janeiro, please request an adaptor at our Central Services. They will be more than glad to assist you with it!

Thank you again for having shared your experience with us !

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Arrived Rio international airport, got a pre-booked taxi which cost around £31, $125(local). You can book and pre pay for the taxi right before you walk out of customs. Took around 30mins to get to the hotel at 11pm. Hotel is located right on the beach. Fantastic views. Fantastic location. I got upgraded free to a suite which was nice. The suite had a living room with balcony, separate bedroom and bathroom. Front desk service was good on check in, slow on check out - welcome to rio! Staff are very friendly. Room is clean and tidy and spacious. I asked for an iron, as there wasn't any in the room. It took until the next morning before it turned up. Apparently there is limited supply, and it's first come first serve! They did iron a shirt for me foc while I waited which was nice. During the night I found the room quite noises. Turned off my AC, but I could still hear the hum from outside. Had breakfast on the top floor over looking the beach, also where the pool is located. Breakfast is very, very basic. Fruit, meats, cheeses, some bread coffee and juice. All very nice, just limited. Didn't go in the pool but it's a nice setting, albeit not very big. All in all, a nice hotel which is maxising it's location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Travelsalotglobally,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time spent in our Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at one of our Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I booked this hotel because this chain has a nice reputation. Next I read the negative reviews and became concerned however my experience was fantastic. I got to the hotel 3 hours before checkin time the agent found me a room and was fantastic. My room had a fantastic view of Copacabana. The beach staff was great, bellman was very helpful, breakfast was fantastic, and I love the rooftop pool and bar. The view is astounding and I enjoyed the music they had on Saturday evening. I am a very picky traveller , like I will only fly business class and since I am a good tipper expect wonderful service. This chain of hotels has a great reputation and for good reason. I will stay here without hesitation on my next trip to Rio.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mee1108
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Mee 1108,

We do hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you, your friends and family back at our hotel, as we look forward to being of service.

Thank you again for having shared your experience with us.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Pestana Atlantic Hotel is located right on Copacabana beach so there are some excellent views of the beach from the rooms. The hotel rooms are renovated, and when we were there they planned renovation of lobby and elevators. Breakfasts offer good variety of food, freshly cooked omelletes and fruits.
We had standard room - it was small but clean and had all required amenities, and even very small balcony (you could stand on it but that's it). Bathroom was also small but renovated and clean. We then were upgraded to deluxe double room which was spacious with excellent bed and big bathroom but is really expensive.

Room Tip: Some rooms have limited views so choose rooms ending with 10 eg 810, 811, 809 - they have the best v...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mrs. Tania L,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time spent in our Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was at the Pestana for 1-1/2 weeks and it was wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful, most spoke very good English. The hotel was clean. Rooms are small, but very comfortable. The breakfast buffet had everything I wanted, although some days it was a challenge getting coffee. I don't get the hype about the rooftop lounge, but that is okay. We went up there for a couple hours several times to swim and sun and have a drink. It was fine. It looked like they were charging non guests to go to the bar. I wouldn't pay for it. I loved being able to walk to restaurants, bars and the beach. Other attractions were a short cab ride away.

Room Tip: We had rooms with no view of the beach, but we asked for upgrades after a couple of days and they we...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Pjbigfish,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time spent in our Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.