“The Perfect Stay at the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel”

Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel
Ranked #56 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“The Perfect Stay at the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was one of the best stays at a hotel that I have had in a long time. The ladies and gentlemen behind the desk were courteous and attentive to eveyone's needs. The staff speaks many languages and English is not an issue. The room was spotless clean with crisp, soft, white sheets and pillows with a gorgeous view of Copa Cobana beach. The food was excellent, and the pool- rooftop bar reminded me of a South Beach 5-star hotel. The breakfast is included, and its not a continental breakfast. It includes all food types: ham and cheeses, eggs, friut, yogurt and more.

The best part of the trip was that Carnival had started. It gets crazy during Carnival in Rio, and here is where I was impressed. The staff made sure the guests were safe with wrist bands to designate guests as well as security-staff everywhere and checking all at the front door. Safety for the guests was priority number one. When you feel safe and have comfort and luxory- then you will always come back, and I know I will be back to the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank edo711
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Mr. Edo711

We would like to thank you for staying with us at the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel and for taking the time to send us your valuable comments.

Unfortunately I did not have the pleasure to meet you personally, however I am so glad to read your comments in which I clearly see that we have exceeded your expectations!

It´s always gratifying to receive feedbacks, and your kind comments will be shared with all the staff members, whom I am certain will be encouraged with your remarks.

On your next trip to our Hotel in Rio de Janeiro, please check our website Pestana.com where you will find fantastic rates with exclusives benefits for those who books via our website for our different room types, from deluxe to our presidential suite.

We do hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you back at one of our Hotels & Resorts;

Pestana Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The location is fantastic, the place is clean and has a lot of potential but unfortunately it is let down by very dodgy practices and unprofessional staff, with the big exception of Daniela in the breakfast room, who is an absolute gem. Check in was okay, if a bit slow, but that applies to almost everything in Rio. We liked the room, small but very clean and in excellent condition and a tiny balcony with a great view. The problems started at the first check-out (we stayed twice in the Pestana Atlantica during our trip in Rio), when I was handed my pre-paid bill containing some mystical additional charges. Upon request I was informed that I allegedly consumed some beers at the Sky Bar, a place I hadn't even visited at that point. I had to sign a form stating that I hadn't consumed the items on the bill, but there was no apology for their mistake. It should have been easy to compare my signature with that on the bill signed for the items to prove that they were wrong, but that would have been too much for the blase' looking staff member. Six days later we returned, hoping that this time we could simply enjoy our stay without any mishaps, but the problems started with a visit to the Sky Bar where we ordered two cocktails that, according to the cocktail list contained 400ml. When they arrived, it became clear that it was a mere 250ml (probably hoping to catch out customers who are not familiar with metric measures) and we complained, only to be told that this was their standard measure. Finally, our bill was reduced by 1/3, accounting for the mismatch between advertised and actual measures. I find this false advertising disgraceful and I hope that other guests will challenge this fraudulent behaviour in the future. This is simply unacceptable anywhere but particular in a so called five star hotel. To top it off, they tried to charge us for a chocolate bar from the mini bar, that we hadn't consumed (who would, at 32C???); again, without an apology. Based on our experience, I think this place is not ready for the two big upcoming events (FA World Cup and the Olympics). Their customer care is terrible and their practices need scrutiny and review, before they reach acceptable standards.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Mr. Londonkraut,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Pestana Rio Atlantica as your destination, and for having taken your valuable time to comment your stay with us.

In order to better understand the situations hereafter disclosed, I would appreciate if you could send us your e-mail address so which we can contact you in regards to your valuable comments!

We apologize for any inconvenience which you have faced and assure you that this does not reflects our standards. Please do contact our Rooms Division Manager, Mr. Gefferson Alves on his e-mail address: Gefferson.alves@pestana.com.

We look forward in hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Director of Operations Brazil
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I absolutely loved my stay last week at the Pestana Rio Atlantica. It was my first time in Rio and the hotel was an absolute dream come true!

Upon arrival, I received a wonderful welcome from the gentleman at the door and at check-in. I was made to feel at home there from the start to the very end of the trip.

The hotel itself is beautiful and is very modern, stylish and clean. It really does have the best view of both sides of the long stretch of Copacabana. The oceanfront rooms are exceptional in size, have a very plush bed, great pillows, a sofa, large bath & shower and the balcony hosted a wooden table with chairs and a separate lounge chair as well. The air conditioning was fantastic and cooled the room down very quickly. The room was very quiet at night. Everything was just perfect.

I enjoyed the rooftop lounge and also had dinner there one evening. The food and ambience were wonderful. The view from the rooftop lounge and pool area are unbeatable. There is no other hotel in the middle of the massive beach with an unobstructed view like theirs. Stunning!

I had actually booked a different hotel for Ipanema for the second part of the holiday but I ended up canceling that one and returned for the duration at the Pestana Rio. I knew I would not have the same service and comfort anywhere else and received a second warm welcome back.

A very, very big Thank You to some of the people at Pestana who have helped with booking, check-in and everything while there: Gefferson, Orlando, Danny, Rodrigo, Bruno, the gentleman in the top restaurant area and to the many guys who helped with suggestions, directions, luggage, etc. It really was a dream vacation and everyone above contributed to it significantly. Thank you, Pestana Rio Atlantica!

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are spectacular!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bunni W
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Mrs. Bunni,

Unfortunately I did not have the pleasure to meet you personally, however I am so glad to read your comments in which I clearly see that our team is doing an amazing job!

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

As many positives as negatives unfortunately.

Pros
The location is fantastic, the room was modern and clean, the roof top pool looks great and has amazing views, the buffet breakfast had good choice and was average quality. We had a glimpse of a sea view!!

Cons
We found the staff rather rude and not very welcoming, the room service food was not very good, the pool is in good need of a clean as are you after you get out!! Also our balcony door did not lock as the lock had been broken off. We were on a higher level, so it wasn't a major issue, but easily accessed from the next door apartment. The sauna and steam room did not work and the hot tub wasn't so hot, and again, like the pool, didn't look/feel too clean.

I had advised the hotel I was bringing my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary and they advised me they would arrange something special. They didn't arrange anything and didn't even say happy anniversary on arrival! I wasn't expecting a welcoming fanfare, but just a little personal touch would have been nice.

We arrived early and asked to check in 3 hours early. They wanted payment for this early check in, but the amount they requested was half the full rate of the room, so we were not paying that!!

This hotel has the potential to be a top rated hotel with a little bit of care and attention. Nice hotel, but definitely not worth the price paid.

We used Rio transfers to collect us from the airport as this was only $80 as opposed to $125 charged by the hotel. On the way back we took a cab and this cost $50 (all Real). We didn't feel particularly unsafe in the area, but we were cautious. We took buses to see christ the redeemer, sugar loaf and lapa steps and were fine, very easy and cheap! I would recommend the brasilian restaurant Brasilierhino just down the road.

Overall, nice hotel, just not worth the price paid. If price was lower, or if staff were nicer and the upkeep better, we would have scored this much higher.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MeetTheEdwards
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Mr. MeetThe Edwards,

We look forward in hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Director of Operations Brazil
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Location:
Excellent. In midst of Copacabana, a few steps to the beach, very central, easy to recognize. It is in everybody’s mind. Just ask any taxi driver to get you to Pestana and no further indications are necessary.
Lobby:
Clean, fresh, nice design, not so inviting, but very functional
Room/View/bathroom:
We booked a luxury room with ocean view. Wich is actually a wall view, with the advantage of precluding the sun to burst into the room. You could get a tiny glimpse of the ocean, getting on the balcony an stretching out your neck to your right. But, this is usual in Rio if you want to pay reasonable prices.
Staff:
correct, friendly (not extremely), very slow in every way and sometimes a bit rude. The welcome desk is usually crowded and you might have to stand the line.
Breakfast:
more than expected, quiet assorted, food for every taste. It takes a century till you get you coffee served.
Restaurant:
Excellent, at reasonable prices, I recommend.
Terrace/pool/Gym/Spa:
The terrace is definitely the highlight of the hotel. Impressive view of Copacabana, Sugar Loaf and surroundings, especially magical at sunset. Everything very clean and nice. The pool was a delight, wouldn’t want to leave the water. The gym was small and a little bit out of date. If you like it, you can jog with ocean view. Sauna (steam-room and Finnish), very nice, spacious, clean and the jacuzzi too.
Guests:
I felt quite confortable with many brazilian, european and argentinean tourists. The hotel was a convention center, so there was a lot of movement with top businessmen and women. It provided somehow a certain elegant metropole flair.
All in all it was a very good experience, i recommend it without any doubt.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sebastian R
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Mr. Sebastian R,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel is recently upgraded and is located across the street from the beach. Lots to do in this area. The views are spectacular from the rooftop pool and bar. The spa is also great and has nice views of the mountains. The plugs in the rooms are not international and the hotel lacks adapters. I stayed at this pestana on several occasions during my travels to brazil. It is the best hotel in copa. It gets better every single time.

• Stayed September 2013
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Mr. Edward C,

It´s always gratifying to receive positive feedback, and your kind comments will be shared with all the staff members, whom I am certain will be encouraged with your remarks.

On your next trip to our Hotel in Rio de Janeiro, please request an adaptor at our Central Services. They will be more than glad to assist you with it!

Thank you again for having shared your experience with us !

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Arrived Rio international airport, got a pre-booked taxi which cost around £31, $125(local). You can book and pre pay for the taxi right before you walk out of customs. Took around 30mins to get to the hotel at 11pm. Hotel is located right on the beach. Fantastic views. Fantastic location. I got upgraded free to a suite which was nice. The suite had a living room with balcony, separate bedroom and bathroom. Front desk service was good on check in, slow on check out - welcome to rio! Staff are very friendly. Room is clean and tidy and spacious. I asked for an iron, as there wasn't any in the room. It took until the next morning before it turned up. Apparently there is limited supply, and it's first come first serve! They did iron a shirt for me foc while I waited which was nice. During the night I found the room quite noises. Turned off my AC, but I could still hear the hum from outside. Had breakfast on the top floor over looking the beach, also where the pool is located. Breakfast is very, very basic. Fruit, meats, cheeses, some bread coffee and juice. All very nice, just limited. Didn't go in the pool but it's a nice setting, albeit not very big. All in all, a nice hotel which is maxising it's location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Travelsalotglobally,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time spent in our Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at one of our Hotels & Resorts.