“Excellent value! Ideal location! Fantastic Atlantic & Copacabana Views!”

Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel
Ranked #57 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersSilver level
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“Excellent value! Ideal location! Fantastic Atlantic & Copacabana Views!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I'm a frequent guest of the Pestana Rio Atlantica - before and after the renovation - and I believe it's the best value in Rio! Prior to the Pestana I stayed exclusively at the JW Marriott, just a few blocks down the beach, and while I believe the JW Marriott is excellent in all categories, the room rate can be double and even triple the rate of the Pestana. My preference for Pestana goes beyond price because I absolutely appreciate the reception staff who go out of their way to ensure my stay is perfect. I consider them friends.

Room Tip: In the heart of Copacabana Beach - best rooftop bar in Rio! At night, the rooftop bar is the place...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
pestana, Gerente geral at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Mr. Jim R,

Thank you very much for choosing the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, and for sharing your feedback with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so very much for your kind comments about our associates. I will forward your remarks to them and surely they will be encouraged!

We pledge to provide the finest personal service and facilities for our guests who will always enjoy a warm and relaxed ambient and consequently turn your stay into Memorable Moments.

As long as you are our regular guest, I would like to personally take care of your next stay and due to that, I would kindly request you to contact our Hotel Rooms Division Manager, Mr. Gefferson Alves via e-mail: Gefferson.alves@pestana.com and we will prepare a very special suite in order to indulge you into a breathtaking view of Copacabana beach.

We also encourage you to check out Hotel Site at Pestana.com to check the best rates available. There are also great offers only available on it!

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Trip advisor for Pestana

2.5-3 star hotel at best. If you're paying that much you'd expect a finer attention to the details, and a better standard of service. Spend your money on a decent hotel down the road.

Checkin made us wait 3hrs despite being told months in advance of the checkin time, and confirmed 3 days in advance....I went for a walk, and asked for the wifi code to pass the time, but it wouldn't work on our iPhones so they made me call someone at an IT company to sort it out...It turned out to be an issue with Pestana's computer system (what hotel makes a guest call an IT company to sort out their problem!).

When the actual 30minute checkin was finished, the room with "partial sea view" (I'd call it a thin slither after you've craned your neck out the window) had one bed, again despite having booked for two beds and repeated this twice during checkin. I'm guessing the rude girls working reception weren't really listening. There was one nice, sweet girl. Didn't catch her name...she had braces. Keep her around. The room I booked clearly stated two Queen-sized beds (and again in a confirmation 3 days before). They are not queen-sized. They're single. The beds are not soft. They're springy and stiff, the blankets are thin, but the pillows are soft. Keep the pillows around. And the welcome card said Mr and Mrs...we're not a couple. Booking two beds and giving different names probably wasn't enough of a clue.

There's a giant gap between the sliding bathroom door which cannot close all the way because the sink is there, and which doesn't lock either. Basically, you have a perfect view of the toilet and shower. The shower was actually quite nice, but you don't stay in a hotel just for the shower.

Even on the 7th floor the noise from the street was loud enough to keep you up at night until it died down after midnight...The walls aren't thick enough.

Breakfast buffet (on the roof) was limited to mostly bread rolls, a few cakes (Who has cake for breakfast?), disgusting reconstituted bagged "orange" juice, fatty strips of prosciutto, and the toaster only toasted one side of the bread. There's no menu so you have to ask if there's anything else. They had bacon and eggs but the bacon was the sort of quality I'd expect in offal meat. 25minutes after we'd finished breakfast, a guy came around and asked if we would like to order something to eat for breakfast. Seriously? Did you even see us walk in and eat already?

After a day of a activities we returned late afternoon to find the room hadn't been made up or cleaned. When the cleaner strolled in loudly and unannounced at 4:45pm. We told him not to bother cleaning but asked for fresh towels and he just walked off. Never got the towels.

The cleaner came twice before our checkout time of 12 to make up the room and refused to leave until I showed her our booking form with the time. During checkout, the staff were trying to do too many things at once and asked me the same thing three times then tried to charge my credit card for something I hadn't bought. Then, they spent 15minutes cancelling the charge on my card. Disgraceful behaviour.

I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, but it's about the attention to details and the service when you're paying that much a night, and there just wasn't much thought in the whole show.

Vote with your wallet and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Liam355
pestana, Gerente geral at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Liam355,

Thank you for choosing the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel and for your comments regarding your stay. We are sorry to learn about the inconveniences you experienced whilst staying with us.

Your information regarding our levels of service were worthy of our utmost attention, and the necessary actions will be taken to improve our guest experience!

The information’s on your comments are of our high interest and I would appreciate if you could contact our Rooms Division Manager, Mr. Gefferson Alves, on his e-mail: Gefferson.alves@pestana.com as we really would like to better understand how was your stay as well as maintain a direct contact for future stays.

Pestana Hotel Rio Atlantica is a place where the genuine care and comfort of our guests is our highest mission.

Looking forward in hearing from you at your earliest convenience,

Kind regards,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I recently returned to Rio for another business trip and booked into my favorite hotel, the Pestana Rio Atlantica. This is my only choice of hotel as every stay is a memorable one. The service is fantastic, the staff are attentive, friendly, courteous and the beach view suites are stunning, clean and large. The hotel management, Mr Dias, Mr Alves and Ms Meda go out of their way to make sure that your stay is one that you will never forget! I can hardly wait for my next trip to Rio.

Steve P.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Mr. Steve Platthy,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and also that you became a regular guest of ours.

Please do contact my Guest Relations Team once you wish to come back to our Hotel sending us an e-mail to: Guest.Rio@pestana.com. We will prepare a special surprise once again!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I recently travelled to Rio for the first time and arrived at the hotel in the night. I woke up at sunrise overlooking Copacabana Beach. It was magnificent. The staff made me feel very welcome and I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who was wanting to stay in Rio and experience the wonderful Copacabana lifestyle. The room top bar is something very special, you overlook the entire beach so during the day and night you have wonderful views of all below.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the Copacabana Beach. If at all possible do...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert W
pestana, General Manager at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Mr. Robert W,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope that you will return and become a regular guest of ours.

Ukiah, California
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The location is great and paying a premium for location is fair. However, when paying five star prices you expect five star quality and this hotel is simply average. If value for money is a concern I would avoid. If money is no object I'm sure there are higher quality hotels around.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Connoisseur4All
pestana, Gerente geral at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Connoisseur4All,

The information’s on your comments are of our high interest and I would appreciate if you could contact our Rooms Division Manager, Mr. Gefferson Alves, on his e-mail: Gefferson.alves@pestana.com as we are really would like to better understand how was your stay.

Looking forward in hearing from you at your earliest convenience,

Kind regards,

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 16 April 2014

For the best view if the beach and rio life, you can't beat the rooftop pool, lounge and bar at the Pestana. It is a very expensive hotel, and we wouldn't have stayed here if our hotel that we booked didn't canceled in us at the last minute. We went during New Years so the streets were chaotic with celebrations, music and party goers pouring in from across the world and the neighboring slums. The hotel does a great job of keeping you feel safe, having 24 hour security and securities at the entrance, calling taxi cabs for you and so forth. Rio can be an unsafe place to travel to if you're not smart and constantly watching your surroundings. Hotel is located on the boardwalk and you can walk to local bars and restaurants. We even walked to Inpanema beach a few times but took a cab back to the hotel when night fell and the streets didn't seem all that safe to stroll back. It's not expensive to take the cab so I would highly suggest you to cab it if needed. Police present was everywhere, perhaps more for the New Years celebration and the fact that they will be hosting the World Cup and summer Olympics soon so the government is working on cleaning up the city. However, it's still feels a bit uneasy and unsafe so best to just be watchful at all times. We ran into other travelers who said they witness a woman getting robbed in broad day light. We say a hat vendor get robbed as well on New Year's Eve, right near a police platform and they either didn't notice or ignored it. Don't let this deter you from visiting Rio. It is a beautiful city with so much character, culture and life that you can find in the people, food, lifestyle and history. There is so much to do, so many places to see and so much meat to eat! If you're going to the beach, take as little as possible. Always have a member of your party watching your belongings if you're going into the water. In the summer, you could just take a thin towel, sunblock, some cash, and sunglasses and you're set. Rent a chair and umbrella for the whole day for less than $10. Again, Pestana hotel makes your whole stay feel extremely safe and the beach is right across the street. The stay is the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever encountered. The rooftop pool can feel like a mix of pretentious elitist mixed with families. Definitely entertaining to watch. Lay out by the pool for the sunshine, to escape the busy beach, for cocktails and food and definitely the sunset.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bliudolfin
pestana, Gerente geral at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Mr. Bliudolfin,

We would like to thank you for staying with us at the Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel and for taking the time to send us your valuable comments.

I am so glad to read your comments in which I appreciate your information’s. I can clearly see that we have exceeded your expectations!

It´s always gratifying to receive feedbacks, and your kind comments will be shared with all the staff members, whom I am certain will be encouraged with your remarks.

We do hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you back at one of our Hotels & Resorts;

Thank you again for having shared your experience with us and looking forward in receiving your new reservation request!

Cordially,

Linthicum Heights, Maryland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is my third stay at the Pestana and all I can say is I love it here....friendly staff from the front desk, to the housekeeping, restaurant and pool bar. I was ugpraded to a suite during this business trip and it made a huge difference for me. The extra room made it very comfortable to work from when I did not feel like going to the office.

You are right across the street from Copacabana beach and can walk for miles!

The only negative thing I can say is that the elevators tend to be very slow and the equipment in the fitness area is completely outdated and needs attention.

I will be back here in 3 weeks and looking forward to it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
pestana, Gerente geral at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Mr. SteveNPI,
I am so glad to read your comments in which I appreciate your information’s.
In regards to our Fitness Center, we are also working on it and soon all the equipment’s will be substituted. Concerning the elevators it is important to highlight that all our equipment’s are working properly however we will have a special look on what might have happened.

Cordially,