23 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$128
Booking.comUS$130
PricelineUS$130
2,334 results
All reviews private beach bene restaurant ipanema beach club level pool area top floor leblon concierge cachaca rio favela anderson paulo uber brazil casa
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 August 2019 via mobile

We stayed here for a business trip and then a few extra days for fun. Excellent location right on the beach with pool and patio eating. Great lobby bar with stunning views of Leblon. Nice restaurant on top floor Etoile for fine dining. We did not eat there but went up for the views. Highly recommend asking for an ocean front or corner room so you can see the lights of the city. Also room is larger. I noticed the airlines send their crews here which is always a good sign. Not safe to walk outside as it is close to. Favela or slum. But the hotel and grounds are very safe and guards are everywhere. I would recommend this for the price and location. Would definitely stay here again.

3  Thank Bocadoc1
Reviewed 24 August 2019 via mobile

Enjoyed the foods and friendly service at Sheraton Rio Casa de Cachaca restaurant, nice view and the employees are all awesome, but shout out to Gail for being an excellent server to me and to other guests!

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Waren S
Reviewed 23 August 2019

The hotel shine spa is the best especially the masseur named Leo, very professional and excellent massage! Highly recommended...
The restaurant near the pool area is great too, shout out to Vlademir, the server, very friendly!

Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Sunsearay8
Reviewed 11 August 2019 via mobile

I booked our stay at Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort more than 4 months ahead of Arrival date thru United Vacations.
I contacted Ms. Livia Loureiro, Chefe Concierge at Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort, more than one month before arrival date, to ask her for general hotel questions including access to the hotel due to Avenue Niemeyer temporary closing. Ms. Loureiro informed me that there was no street restrictions or access to guests to/from Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort. Ms. Loureiro helped me to clarify my booking with their hotel system since there was a small discrepancy of what I booked and what my hotel reservations showed on including rate on their hotel system. Also, Ms. Loureiro took the initiative to send me a map of courtesy shuttle stops from hotel to Leblon, Ipanema, Copacabana to final stop at Rio Sul Shopping in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro. You just need to book your shuttle seat at Concierge since shuttle is a small 15 passenger van and the first shuttle departs hotel at 11:00AM. Concierge will also ask for your preferable return time so they can issue your party shuttle tickets. We took advantage of the hotel free shuttle several times even though Uber is cheap in Rio de Janeiro (compared to USA rates).
Our flight to Rio de Janeiro was delayed for over 10 hours and rather to arrive GIG at 10:15 AM, we arrived until 8:10PM. I notified Ms. Loureiro at Concierge to let Reception know about our flight delayed and late check in.
Mr. Davi Volz at Reception was aware of our late check in. Just a big note here. Our hotel room was prepaid back in March 2019 but Mr. Volz asked me for a credit card for incidental expenses, which is fine but what he did not mention to me was the fact that he pre-authorized my credit card for a very large amount R$3,000 (about less than US$800). Mr. Volz should have disclosed to me the pre-authorized amount before swiping my credit card, as other Marriott properties worldwide let you know, specially when you have prepaid your hotel room well in advance. Once we got into our room, I couldn’t access the wi-fi so I called Mr. Volz at Reception to assist me connecting to Wi-Fi. After several tries, Mr. Volz asked me to try the basic free Wi-Fi access, which worked out but not the fast enhanced Wi-Fi access. Mr. Volz told me that he would fix manually my enhanced Wi-Fi speed, which didn’t happen until Mr. Bruno Marques at Reception was able to do it on night 6 of 8 nights stay, only because we had reported before water flood in bathroom floor, which you don’t expect to occur at a five-star hotel, and he was following up with me about the water flood. Mr. Marques was also able to find out why I couldn’t make a charge in hotel restaurant. Never, ever this had happened to me when you sign a high value credit card voucher for incidental expenses at check in time. Hotel Restaurant demanded me to go to its location and pay cash for my restaurant bill since I opted not to leave a credit card voucher upon check in. That’s to add insult to injury. I told them that I signed a R$3,000 credit card voucher and they should clear that with Reception. Mr. Marques went above and beyond by not only finding my incidental expenses credit card voucher and linked it to my folio room but also to upgrade us to a corner suite, and next night he sent us a complimentary amenity: a bottle of champagne, which we really appreciate it!
Mr. Volz apologized to me for my bad hotel experiences when moving in to upgraded corner suite.
Despite the minor missteps on a five-star hotel, employees like Mr. Bruno Marques at Reception and Ms. Livia Loureiro at Concierge made a positive impression on us for really caring about guests. Both of them, Ms. Loureiro and Mr. Marques are big assets for Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort.
The Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort is a well-conserved five-star hotel, located in Leblon Beach in Rio de Janeiro. It is the only hotel in Rio de Janeiro with direct access to beach.
Lobby is bright, spacious and huge, which is located on the 6th Floor.
Breakfast is served @ Ipanema Restaurant in 5th Floor. Buffet breakfast has a huge variety of items which only few of them rotate daily. At least there is a cooking station where you can customize your breakfast so you don’t get bored eating the same breakfast every day. Service is not fast in general since you have to find your waiter/waitress to get coffee refills except for a couple of times that they checked on us if we would like to have more coffee.
The Sheraton Fitness is in Fourth Floor. It is clean and well-maintained and we exercised there.
However, the TVs on the walking machines were not functional. The person in charge offered us towels and also there is complimentary water available.
Pool is at the bottom floor (0 Floor). Always crowded (maybe because weather was more like summer time rather than current winter time in Brazil). Restaurant service in pool area is slow. No waiter/waitress checked on us if we would like to order something. We had to waive for assistance.
Rooms are spacious like US standards. Hotel rooms were renovated in 2014. Some furniture shows signs of wear and tear. However, room balconies are so tiny (no room for chairs) when balconies are somewhat big for Brazilians.
Waves sounds can be heard in hotel rooms but they are more like background sounds, so waves noises are not disturbing.
Views from room #2024 and corner suite #926 are incredible.
Lobby and restaurants by the pool were renovated this year after hotel suffered with mudslides and flooding last February 2019.
Casa de Cachaca is an informal restaurant by the pool area. We went twice during our stay to have dinner. Service was fast -something different of what we had experienced at other hotel restaurants. We ordered a Leblon Pizza (bacon and onions) and the second time we had a Hawaiian Pizza (ham and pineapple). They are thin but delicious. Enough to share for 2 persons.
There is an Italian Restaurant on top 26th Floor but they open late for dinner until 7:30PM, so we didn’t try it.
The hotel doesn’t have a convenience store so you need to go to Concierge so they can order the items for you. However, delivery charges of items to hotel is cheap. About R$5 (Approximately US$1.33).
Reception & Concierge employees are fully bilingual in English and Portuguese, and some of them also speak Spanish.
In summary, we had in general a very good stay at Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort because of Ms. Livia Loureiro at Concierge and Mr. Bruno Marques at Reception despite the small inconveniences of no matching original reservation rate, limited street access to hotel due to Avenue Niemeyer partially closed, no communication of what the amount of incidental expenses would be charged before sweeping credit card, no following up on accessing fast enhanced wi-fi speed, water flood on bathroom floor and misplaced high value incidental expenses voucher, which embarrassed me at hotel restaurant when they demanded me to go to their premises to pay my restaurant bill in cash. However, attitudes and genuine caring about guests, from both Ms. Loureiro at Concierge and Mr. Marques at Reception count more overweighting imperfections and human errors since they made sure to fix them. Both Ms. Loureiro and Mr. Marques are excellent Sheraton Ambassadors and they are invaluable assets for Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort.
Obrigado (Thank You)!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mansen
Reviewed 6 August 2019 via mobile

Stayed here 8 nights with family of four. Good secluded location with private beach and comfortable/varied amenities. The service was also great all around (front door, restaurants, bar, etc). I was actually impressed and grateful for the early check in that was accommodated for us.
The only minus for this hotel is something they cannot control and it is that sun hides behind a mountain at around 4pm. But if you plan accordingly, it should not be much trouble.

Trip type: Travelled with family