Right. Let's get one thing straight. The hotel is dated. In it's hay day, this would have been THE spot. Fast forward a few years and it could use some TLC. The front desk looks shabby despite the high ceilings in the dining area, the rest of the hotel smells a bit old.
Check-in was a smooth process, we arrived earlier than check-in and had no issues getting to our room which had a view of the beach. The jumbo bed was made of two doubles pressed together. Large window which meant for a lovely view , however as per previous comments these weren't double glazed - something which I don't think has arrived in Brazil just yet.
The bathroom was clean, a blueish marble colour - great water pressure however if you have an early flight like we did , shower the night before else you're in for an icy surprise.
Front desk staff were helpful - some more than others. There is a tourist information booth almost opposite the hotel where you can get more info. On gentleman in particular was lovely and gave us lots of local tips and tricks which was great. We had pre-booked our touristy things online ( Christ Redeemer etc) and had pre-set times . We got quite a few cabs off the street with no issues - much cheaper than expected.
Food : Breakfast at the hotel was okay. Standard continental breakfast to get your day started - not a massive variety of fruits/juices but hey it's included in the price so eat up - you've got a long day of queuing and walking around. There are lots of restaurants on Copacabana and the hotel gives you a discount voucher to a good local ' por quilo' place near by for lunch. One place we enjoyed was called Brasileirinho - 4/5 blocks from the hotel. They serve a stellar feijoada with all the trimmings - not cheap but worth it for traditional Brasilian food.
Things to do : There are lots of restaurants/ shops/ markets in the surrounding area . We went for a run on Copacabana and saw the sun rise - absolutely glorious. Obviously try and fit in the touristy bits - we were only in Rio for one full day so had lots to see. The city has these bright orange rental bikes - similar to the Barclay's bikes in the UK. HOWEVER you have to set up an account online before using the bikes - great way to see the city. Parque Lage is stunning as is the river that brings you into the Leblon / Inpanema area . Be mindful of pick-pockets - keep your eyes open, and don't flash your new Samsung S5 about - I felt much safer in Rio than I did in my native Sao Paulo which says a lot.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Olinda Rio and would consider staying here again on a future trip to Rio - for the location
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the most privileged location with a wonderful view of all Copacabana beach because it is at the beach. The Olinda Rio Hotel is housed in a noble building with classic architectural style built in 1949 on which retains the charm and glamor of that era. Guests of Olinda Rio Hotel can enjoy the Brazilian or French cuisine at Venezia Restaurant in a European setting, with Italian marble floors, crystal chandeliers, a cozy wooden bar with crystals and stunning ocean views. Luxury apartments, Luxury Executive Suite with Balcony and the Olinda Rio Hotel have panoramic views of the beach. All accommodations have soft colors with wooden furniture. All apartments have air conditioning, cable TV, minibar, electronic safe, minibar and free internet wi-fi. The hotel offers a buffet breakfast quality with varieties of breads, croissants, fruit, cakes, meats, juices, dairy products, cereals, still having the option to request personal service. The closest hotel is the metro station Siqueira Campos, besides the availability of several bus lines to various parts of the city. The hotel is approximately 23 km far from Galeao airport for international flights, domestic flights 12km from Santos Dumont Airport and 14 km from the Novo Rio Bus In Olinda Rio Hotel guest finds the speed, total discretion in customer service and a service room spotless. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Olinda Rio Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Olinda Othon Classic Hotel
- Olinda Rio Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil