“Never again”

Ducasse Rio Hotel
Ranked #266 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
“Never again”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The worse hotel I never saw.
Not well maintained. No internet avaible. It was announced they have it. We ask to fix it to access from our room. At first they lie saying they will fix it. Later they said the throuble was on our gadgets. I do not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Egiggio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

I saw all negatives comments and almost didnt book in this hotel. I decided to give it a chance and it was worth it. The location is great and i didnt have any kind of throuble. The room was clean and the staff were very nice.

1 Thank Guipetersen
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The location is very good - 5 minutes to go and you can play football with cariocas at wonderful Copacabana beach. It's no far from the Ipanema and from the merto station as well. I enjoyed the hotels breakfasts - had enough different fruits for example. The service was goog, room was cosy with a view to the ocean. But of cause you can watch only a little part of the ocean because of the buildings. The entrance to hotel is situated near the road to favella. But its safe. Duaring my trip i ve always seen the police car near the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My husband and I stayed at Ducasse in August 2009. I’m brazilian but I live for many years overseas and completely forgot about the danger specially talking about Rio.
I paid for everything upfront included the pick up and drop off from and to he hotel/airport. The guy simply did not showed up.
The second disappointment is that when we arrived (we paid for a cab driver of course) he said to me that we should be careful with the favela behind of the hotel. I wasn’t that worried because as all the brazilians thinks that will never happen anything to a local.
Well, well....on the next day at 9am the police’s helicopter was on the roof of our hotel and shooting against the favela – the streets was blocked with cars and people running on the streets. Luckily that on that morning we had an city tour booked for the hole day and the tour guide picked us up in our hotel room and tookt us on the van (I remember that we were so shocked with what happened and the tour guide said...don’t worry, it’s just another day in Rio....sure it is!)

And let's be honest, it doesn't help that the hotel is located at the foot of a favela, one of the biggest and most dangerous in Rio. So we were shocked to find that the Ducasse has to be the only hotel we have ever stayed in that does not provide some way for the guest to double-lock the door from the inside!

We are not picky with anything but I don't recommend to anyone to risk your lives like we did. The hotel is really poor maintained (they stoped in the 60’s) and the cleaning is far to be okay.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nr-burlo

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Buenos Aires
Reviewed 4 October 2009

When I've arrived they didn't have any reservations, wich I did and payed from my homeland. So I've lived 2 days almost being hounded by the whole staff.

The hotel is located at the foot of a favela !! As other traveller told "The state of the rooms is far from great". Terrible noisy 24 hs. a day, so, if you want to spend the Nightmare of your life, you'll be in the right place.

If you can, try to spend a few more money and find some other Hotel at Ipanema.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank nightmareatrj
Brazil
Reviewed 14 May 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ducasse. We live in Brazil, we have stayed in over 25 hotels in Rio. We have never — ever — had any problems or complaints. But the Ducasse left us simply appalled. The night we were there the boiler broke. (Or was already broken, even when we checked in? We'll never know.) So there was no hot water, that night or the next day (and despite promises that hot water would return by 7:30 a.m., it had not returned by noon check- out).

There are various reasons we decided to stay, despite the above drawbacks. But we will NEVER return, nor would we recommend this hotel to friends. Or enemies. There are many, many hotels in Rio with good deals (much better than the Ducasse). Check out the Granada in Lapa, the Magic Palace in Gloria, the Ibis in the Center. None are near the beach, but all beat the Ducasse hands-down in safety, service, amenities, cleanliness .... and price!

We will now never forget to look at TripAdvisor before checking into a new, unknown, hotel. We would never have had this unfortunate experience if we had read the reviews!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank buziana
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I made a reservation over the phone and was quoted $55 a night. I gave my card no for half the stay (4 days) and sent the details over to my mom who was flying into Rio ahead of me.

When she came in, she was charged $85 a night for the whole stay. They "forgot of my downpayment" and then told her they would reverse the charge (which they did, after a few requests).

When I came in in the pm, another reception desk clerk was in. I kindly told him the situation and the name of the reservation's agent I spoke to. He told me the guy was a dumbass (lit) and he was oging to get fired for that and that all his mistakes were being deducted from his paycheck (which I now know is not true).
He then proceeded to yell at me right there and then, telling me that I had "royalty expectations" and always missing the point that I just wanted to 1)get my deposit back and 2)clarify the rate because I was feeling robbed.

In the service industry there are many prices and many cuts. I was willing to negotiate something in between the rate I was quoted and the one we were charged.

However, this ver irrespectful man would not let me talk and kept yelling, so I left for dinner and called reservations the following Monday.

In short, it took talking to the guy that admitted he was given the wrong price table and then to the GM to finally settle on 75.

The state of the rooms is far from great, with mold in the showers (we were in 2 rooms total), towel racks and closet doors that fall on you and extremely noisy nights.
It's located around the corner from a favela, which would not be a problem if it weren't so insanely noisy all night, making it impossible to get some rest unless you hook up the AC.

The good part is the the bell boys, kitchen staff and maids were all very polite and genuinely nice and honest.
It's a pity that an overall acceptable hotel turns to downright poor due to a reception desk clerk.

• Stayed April 2009